• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Altair said:
I'm more curious if he does great things, will the right recognize it.

What's more important is if he does bad things (or things badly), will the left recognize it. You don't need your opposition's approval when you have a majority.

And just like that, there are no more governing conservative parties in Canada.

Minus Brad wall and his conservatives by another name.

Altair said:
I'm more curious if he does great things, will the right recognize it.

I'm more curious if the Liberals will give credit to the strong foundation they inherited from Prime Minister Harper?

Thucydides said:
I'm more curious if the Liberals will give credit to the strong foundation they inherited from Prime Minister Harper?

Of course not, and why should they? I don't recall prime Minister Harper thanking the Chrétien-Martin team for leaving the federal books in good shape.

Funny how Liberals like Trudeau are like cleptomaniacs.  They have a pathological need to steal.  Me and you are paying for Trudeau's nannies (plural)

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/trudeau-childrens-nannies-being-paid-025617491.html

Rocky Mountains said:
Funny how Liberals like Trudeau are like cleptomaniacs.  They have a pathological need to steal.  Me and you are paying for Trudeau's nannies (plural)

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/trudeau-childrens-nannies-being-paid-025617491.html
Funny, it sounds like we've paid for help that look after the kids other times, too - later in the same article ....
.... Section 7.1 of the Official Residence Act says cabinet may appoint "a steward or housekeeper and such other employees" deemed necessary for the management of the prime minister's residence.

This isn't the first time questions have been raised about whether taxpayers were footing the bill for child care.

The issue arose in May 1984 when then Conservative leader Brian Mulroney was asked by a television interviewer if taxpayers would pay for ''nannies'' for his three children as they did for Trudeau's father, Pierre Trudeau, when he was prime minister.

"No, no," Mulroney replied.

The Canadian Press reported again in November of that year that Mulroney's chief of staff, Fred Doucet, denied the family employed a government-paid nanny while Mulroney was opposition leader, saying the woman was actually a maid who "interfaces with the children in a habitual way."

Just like we pay for every public servant's child care when they're away for extended periods, or for CAF member's child care when they're away for extended periods.  See CBI 209.335 - Family Care Assistance (http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-209-transportation-expenses.page) or 3.3.5 Dependent Care (http://www.njc-cnm.gc.ca/directive/index.php?sid=93&hl=1&lang=eng#tc-tm_3_5)

As long as they're not doing child care when they're home, or when Sophie is at work (I think she has a private sector job), who cares? And if they are doing that, Trudeau should just reimburse the hourly rate for the times required, problem solved. Same gotcha journalism that plagued the Tories.

PuckChaser said:
As long as they're not doing child care when they're home, or when Sophie is at work (I think she has a private sector job), who cares? And if they are doing that, Trudeau should just reimburse the hourly rate for the times required, problem solved. Same gotcha journalism that plagued the Tories.

I forgot to apply for the free nannies when I had kids.  I didn't know they existed.  This is a prime minister who believes himself to be entitled to his entitlements.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Comes with growing up in a wealthy family in Westmount, Quebec.

They do seem to like their childcare benefits, those guys from la belle province.  Angry Tom was all for it too...

jollyjacktar said:
They do seem to like their childcare benefits, those guys from la belle province.  Angry Tom was all for it too...

Why can't they do like any proper Englishman and send them off to Boarding School? Or Residential School if you prefer.  >:D

dapaterson said:
Just like we pay for every public servant's child care when they're away for extended periods, or for CAF member's child care when they're away for extended periods.  See CBI 209.335 - Family Care Assistance (http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-209-transportation-expenses.page) or 3.3.5 Dependent Care (http://www.njc-cnm.gc.ca/directive/index.php?sid=93&hl=1&lang=eng#tc-tm_3_5)

Not so fast. The problem here is that Trudeau campaigned precisely against "subsidized childcare for the wealthy".  Except for him, apparently.

I have no issue (normally) with PMs having child care staff. Except this PM made child care somewhat of an election issue.

I have no sympathy if he now gets hoisted on the same petard that Harper would have also been hoisted upon, had the situation been reversed. And especially since my wife and I will loose the 2k we were getting under the UCCB.  Welcome to the big leagues.

To quote one of my favorite bloggers: rules are for little people.  PMJT isn't one of the little people.  You are.

SeaKingTacco said:
Not so fast. The problem here is that Trudeau campaigned precisely against "subsidized childcare for the wealthy".  Except for him, apparently.

I have no issue (normally) with PMs having child care staff. Except this PM made child care somewhat of an election issue.

I have no sympathy if he now gets hoisted on the same petard that Harper would have also been hoisted upon, had the situation been reversed. And especially since my wife and I will loose the 2k we were getting under the UCCB.  Welcome to the big leagues.

I'm in exactly the same boat ... if we are going to grouse about giving the leader of a G7 country some, even many, perquisites of office then our own petty greed and jealousy, never far from the surface in most human beings, has the upper hand ... but he did make it an issue and I, too, whilst not giving a damn about the merits of it ~ I cannot rouse myself to false outrage ~ and not displeased to see PMJT twist in the ideological winds.

SeaKingTacco said:
The problem here is that Trudeau campaigned precisely against "subsidized childcare for the wealthy".  Except for him, apparently.
That.  Right.  There.

I have mentioned, several times, my worry that the Liberals will slip back into their "bad old habits," the Globe and Mail, in an editorial, worries too. It suspects that hypocrisy is the first misstep ...

Remember:

image.jpg
image.jpg
17-gagliano.jpg

Jacques Corriveau                                      Chuck Guité                          Alphonso Gagliano

... it was hypocrisy and and a sense of ingrained political entitlement, a sense that "we're the government, we can do as we want,"  that led to those fellows.

SeaKingTacco said:

My original perspective on this was that providing incremental care to meet the demands of a job that was in line with what anyone else would be offered, so I was less concerned.

Now, my understanding is that the nannies were previously paid by the Trudeaus (or someone else), and have seen their pay shifted to the public.  That's not acceptable, in my opinion.  Certainly, if there is overtime required because of the duties of the PM, expense that.  But if you were paying them before (a choice) you can continue to pay them now.

He could make it all go away by hiring Syrian refugees as his nannies. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back