• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
They must have been watching too many soccer matches as inspiration on how to get a yellow or red card. :nod:

Agreed- the elbow to the chest was totally incidental contact. The NDP look like morons spinning it as "an attack on women". But, I suppose it does play to the victim mentality of a certain portion of their base.

Trudeau, OTOH, should never have gotten out of his seat; should never, ever have crossed the floor; should never, ever, EVER have dropped the F bomb and touched another MP.

In one fell swoop, he actually validated every single one of the Conservative "just not ready" election ads; turned his Party's parliamentary agenda for the week into a shambles and may yet face personal disciplinary sanction from the board of internal economy.

Nice work Prime Minister...

jmt18325 said:
Trudeau was wrong, but he's certainly not a woman abuser.

Absolutely, the contact was incidental, but she acted like a european soccer player.

The issue is, there is absolutely 0 place for another in the House, let alone the Prime Minister, to lay hands on ANYONE. It doesn't matter who was doing what. He's the leader of the damned country, and campaigned on making the House have more decorum and respect. This is the complete opposite.

Meanwhile, in New Zealand, 7 days before the Prime Minister of Canada confused his job description with that of the Master-at-Arms, the Prime Minister of New Zealand was ejected from the House by the Speaker for failing to obey a call to order.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36264258

I guess Speaker Regan is cut from different cloth than the Kiwi Speakers.

PuckChaser said:
Absolutely, the contact was incidental, but she acted like a european soccer player.

The issue is, there is absolutely 0 place for another in the House, let alone the Prime Minister, to lay hands on ANYONE. It doesn't matter who was doing what. He's the leader of the damned country, and campaigned on making the House have more decorum and respect. This is the complete opposite.

Oh, I agree.  I'd feel even more badly if not for the game that the NDP (and likely the Conservative Whip) were playing.  Sans the elbow, no one would really be talking about this.

Just thinking - it was only a couple of weeks ago I was moaning about the Prime Minister being a consensus politician. 

I wuz wrong.  ;D

jmt18325 said:
Oh, I agree.  I'd feel even more badly if not for the game that the NDP (and likely the Conservative Whip) were playing.  Sans the elbow, no one would really be talking about this.

Without the elbow, we'd be able to focus on the complete lack of professionalism and childish actions of a head of state. Another reason why the NDP tanked in the last election, they're even more not ready to lead than Trudeau.

PuckChaser said:
Without the elbow, we'd be able to focus on the complete lack of professionalism and childish actions of a head of state.

Government, not state.

Another reason why the NDP tanked in the last election, they're even more not ready to lead than Trudeau.

Well, using that theory, Trudeau should have tanked too.

Trudeau should have stayed in his seat, but he certainly wasn't the one who started the unprofessional mess that happened.

jmt18325 said:
Government, not state.

Well, using that theory, Trudeau should have tanked too.

Trudeau should have stayed in his seat, but he certainly wasn't the one who started the unprofessional mess that happened.
I've seen less spin in a washing machine. You're desperately trying to disassociate guilt and find someone else to blame to take the heat off.

PuckChaser said:
I've seen less spin in a washing machine. You're desperately trying to disassociate guilt and find someone else to blame to take the heat off.

He shouldn't have done what he did - that doesn't make the incident that led to his mistake right.  More than one thing can happen at a time.  The world is rarely black and white.

PuckChaser said:
ddddddddouble spin. I was wondering when someone was going to try to make a flippant remark about the PM being at minimum unprofessional, but realistically acting like my 3 year old when he doesn't get his way. You also managed to spin approval from NEB for a badly needed pipeline into something horrible for us. Its like you feel its completely impossible to both produce/use fossil fuels and be environmentally responsible.
I want pipelines, I have no idea what you're going on about.

SeaKingTacco said:
Agreed- the elbow to the chest was totally incidental contact. The NDP look like morons spinning it as "an attack on women". But, I suppose it does play to the victim mentality of a certain portion of their base.

Trudeau, OTOH, should never have gotten out of his seat; should never, ever have crossed the floor; should never, ever, EVER have dropped the F bomb and touched another MP.

In one fell swoop, he actually validated every single one of the Conservative "just not ready" election ads; turned his Party's parliamentary agenda for the week into a shambles and may yet face personal disciplinary sanction from the board of internal economy.

Nice work Prime Minister...

:goodpost:

PuckChaser said:
:nod:

Noting another piece of CBC "Analysis", it wasn't the Prime Minister's fault:
But the real reason is the tone in the Commons remains toxic.  [Government House leader Dominic] LeBlanc and government whip Andrew Leslie, the two people responsible for ensuring an orderly work flow in the Commons.... haven't done the job.

It could be arrogance..... Or perhaps it's inexperience, especially in the case of Leslie...

-----

Perhaps the business of governing isn't as easy as they thought.
Or, as noted in the same article by interim Conservative leader Rona Ambrose, the  "government doesn't want a government and an opposition... They want a government and an audience."

Altair said:
I want pipelines, I have no idea what you're going on about.
And that, sadly, is likely the truth.

Come oooooooon!

Doesn't any body else like where this is going?

idiocracy.jpg

Actually, for once, I thought the National's At Issue panel did a good - neutral - job on this problem last night. I particularly appreciated the fact that Andrew Coyne seems to be one of the few journalist/analyst who spotted the PM's action the same way I saw them: He acted like a school teacher dealing with troublesome students on the steps of the school. Basically, it was the arrogance of authority over their "charges".

Amazingly enough, the government got a scolding from the Bard on the Rock on electoral reform in the same showing of the National. I am attaching it here for those who may have missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTXeGdz8txs

I stayed out of this thread until now, but personally, I am squarely on the side of those that say that the PM had absolutely no business whatsoever of getting up from his seat. And for those around here who deride the elderly crowd in these fora when we tell you to wait and see and the Liberal's arrogance as the "natural" governing party will come through: this is one of those instances.

The PM and the government are not in charge of the commons (or the whole Parliament for that matter). They do not rule it. In fact it's the other way around as government derives its powers from the assent of Parliament.

So who rules the Commons? The Speaker of the House does, and he has a Master-at-arms, clerks, pages and so forth to control it (Funny enough, the Speaker is the only member of Parliament that can be manhandled - on one specific occasion, when he/she is taken to his/her seat - by "faked" force he/she is supposed to "resist" - by the leaders of every party right after he/she is elected to the position). If PM Trudeau was unhappy with the situation, all he had to do was to address himself to the Speaker asking him to solve the matter, and then live with the Speaker's decision.

I know that some "unconditionally" Liberal supporter have tried to put the onus of the events on the NDP for blocking the way of the Conservative whip. However, that is taking things completely out of context. The house was assembling to dispose of a government motion, which the opposition couldn't block, that was about to deprive the opposition of its capacity in advance of debating a highly charged issue put before them. Delaying tactics was all they had, and in all probability, the Conservative whip was either in on it or happy to oblige. After all, any idiot that looks at the video can see quite clearly that, if the whip had wanted real bad to get to his seat, all he had to do was go around the clerk's table on the government side: it's not illegal - he has as much right to walk on that side as anybody else in the commons.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Actually, for once, I thought the National's At Issue panel did a good - neutral - job on this problem last night. I particularly appreciated the fact that Andrew Coyne seems to be one of the few journalist/analyst who spotted the PM's action the same way I saw them: He acted like a school teacher dealing with troublesome students on the steps of the school. Basically, it was the arrogance of authority over their "charges".

Amazingly enough, the government got a scolding from the Bard on the Rock on electoral reform in the same showing of the National. I am attaching it here for those who may have missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTXeGdz8txs

I stayed out of this thread until now, but personally, I am squarely on the side of those that say that the PM had absolutely no business whatsoever of getting up from his seat. And for those around here who deride the elderly crowd in these fora when we tell you to wait and see and the Liberal's arrogance as the "natural" governing party will come through: this is one of those instances.

The PM and the government are not in charge of the commons (or the whole Parliament for that matter). They do not rule it. In fact it's the other way around as government derives its powers from the assent of Parliament.

So who rules the Commons? The Speaker of the House does, and he has a Master-at-arms, clerks, pages and so forth to control it (Funny enough, the Speaker is the only member of Parliament that can be manhandled - on one specific occasion, when he/she is taken to his/her seat - by "faked" force he/she is supposed to "resist" - by the leaders of every party right after he/she is elected to the position). If PM Trudeau was unhappy with the situation, all he had to do was to address himself to the Speaker asking him to solve the matter, and then live with the Speaker's decision.

I know that some "unconditionally" Liberal supporter have tried to put the onus of the events on the NDP for blocking the way of the Conservative whip. However, that is taking things completely out of context. The house was assembling to dispose of a government motion, which the opposition couldn't block, that was about to deprive the opposition of its capacity in advance of debating a highly charged issue put before them. Delaying tactics was all they had, and in all probability, the Conservative whip was either in on it or happy to oblige. After all, any idiot that looks at the video can see quite clearly that, if the whip had wanted real bad to get to his seat, all he had to do was go around the clerk's table on the government side: it's not illegal - he has as much right to walk on that side as anybody else in the commons.

Totally agree OGBD.
Trudeau is the author of his own problem in this matter. If he had just stayed in his seat. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back