• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having timelines becomes a pointless exercise, when your staffing is tied to a budget which is not aligned to those timelines. Then the exercise becomes one of appearing to meet the timelines with less focus on the actual result. A bit like a helpdesk that gets a ticket completed regardless whether they helped or not. We tried timelines, but due to budget cuts gave up trying to meet them.

Liberals approve Kinder Morgan and the Line 3 expansions, but kill the Northern Gateway pipeline. More here from the Canadian Press, re-printed under the usual caveats of the Copyright Act.

Liberals say yes to controversial Trans Mountain pipeline project in B.C.

By Bruce Cheadle , The Canadian Press — The Canadian Press — Nov 29 2016

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is approving Kinder Morgan's proposal to triple the capacity of its Trans Mountain pipeline from Alberta to Burnaby, B.C. — a $6.8-billion project that has sparked protests by climate change activists from coast to coast.

Trudeau is also effectively killing the proposed Northern Gateway pipeline across northern British Columbia, but giving a green light to Enbridge's lesser-known $7.5-billion Line 3 pipeline expansion from Alberta to Wisconsin.

The Liberals had promised a decision on Kinder Morgan by Dec. 19 but decided to announce all the pipeline decisions at once ahead of a Dec. 9 meeting between Trudeau and the provincial and territorial premiers.

"(Trans Mountain) will create 15,00 new middle-class jobs, the majority of them in the trades," Trudeau told a news conference Tuesday. "It meets the strictest of environmental standards and fits within our national climate plan."

That includes 157 binding conditions set out by the National Energy Board, said Trudeau, who also noted the project would not have been approved without the government of Alberta's own carbon-pricing efforts and cap on oilsands emissions.

"We are convinced it is in the best interests of Canadians," Trudeau said of the decision.

"We've heard clearly from Canadians that they don't want to see someone trying to make a choice between what's good for the environment and what's good for the economy. They need to go together, and the decisions we've made today and leading up to today are entirely consistent with that."

The decision to close the book on Northern Gateway came as a surprise to no one. But Trudeau added a corollary: a moratorium on crude oil tanker shipping on B.C.'s north coast, something the Liberals promised in the 2015 election campaign.

"Very shortly we'll introduce legislation to make this tanker moratorium the law," he said.

Indigenous leaders and environmental leaders who spoke earlier in the day appeared resigned to the government's decision, but far from prepared to give up their fight.

"The struggle will simply intensify," said Grand Chief Stewart Phillip of the Union of British Columbia Chiefs. "It will become more litigious, it will become more political and the battle will continue."

There are no conditions under which the chiefs would have been willing to agree to the project, Phillip added.

"The risks are just too grave. The tanker traffic in Burrard Inlet will increase by 700 per cent and it's inevitable that there will be a collision in a very congested inlet."

Grand Chief Derek Nepinak of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs said the federal government simply doesn't have the blessing of Canada's aboriginal community to approve the project.

"They're not going to exclude us the second time. They don't have consent to come through our treaty lands without us," he said.

"Now's our opportunity to send a clear message that we demand that we're listened to. The standard of consent is one of consensus amongst our people. And I don't see a day where our people will consent to destruction of the land, to destruction of the water. I just don't see it."

Earlier Tuesday, the broad strokes of a year-long Liberal government effort to position the government between fossil fuel development advocates, indigenous groups and climate policy hawks played out during question period in the House of Commons.

Rona Ambrose, the Conservative interim leader, said it is not enough for the Liberals to approve major pipelines; it must then "champion them through to the end" in order to see that they actually get built.

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair, by contrast, accused the Liberals of a "Goldilocks approach" that has browbeat the Liberal party's own environmentally conscious, anti-pipeline MPs into silence.

Trudeau was happy to claim the middle ground.

"One side of this House wants us to approve everything and ignore indigenous communities and environmental responsibilities," he said.

"The other side of the House doesn't care about the jobs or the economic growth that comes with getting our resources to market."

The stalled Northern Gateway oil pipeline from Alberta through the Great Bear Rain Forest to Kitimat, B.C., had so far been thwarted in the courts for lack of proper indigenous consultation.

The less prominent Enbridge project will see the half-century-old Line 3 pipeline from Alberta through southern Saskatchewan and Manitoba to the United States replaced by an entirely new line about twice the current pipeline's working capacity.

The Trans Mountain and Line 3 expansions alone would boost pipeline capacity by more than 1.1 million barrels per day.

The pipeline decisions follow weeks of Liberal government announcements designed to show it is serious about combating climate change, including an accelerated coal phase-out and a national floor price on carbon emissions starting in 2018.

Trudeau confirmed Tuesday that he'll be holding a first ministers meeting with provincial and territorial premiers as well as indigenous leaders on Dec. 9 in Ottawa, where the pan-Canadian climate plan will be the main focus of the agenda.

U.S. Vice-President Joe Biden will also be making a visit to Ottawa on Dec. 8-9 to meet with the first ministers — perhaps one last opportunity for the Liberals to showcase their environmental policy entente with outgoing President Barack Obama before president-elect Donald Trump's inauguration in January.

— Follow @BCheadle on Twitter

Bruce Cheadle , The Canadian Press

Article Link

And in related news, Elizabeth May, vows she is willing to go to jail to protest the Kinder Morgan expansion.

I wonder how Liz would look in an orange jumpsuit.

recceguy said:
What about Energy East?

I don't believe that was on the table this time.  I wonder how many more towns will have to burn as the next Lac-Megantic before there's no opposition to Energy East or other lines.

recceguy said:
What about Energy East?
Still on hold without a review panel, but any delay will reportedly (allegedly?) be "modest".

Meanwhile, what rocket surgeon thought THIS would be OK?!?
Military men and women serving in the Canadian Armed Forces are being offered boxing gloves signed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau as part of a campaign to raise money for a charity. Other federal departments are also participating by offering the prize gloves to civilian public servants.

CFRA news has obtained an internal email that encourages military men and women to participate in a silent auction benefiting young people, using an image of what appears to be a star-struck young woman. 

“In almost 20 years in the CAF (Canadian Armed Forces) I have never seen anything so blatantly political distributed among the ranks," a military source told CFRA's Ottawa Now with Evan Solomon in a statement.

The message was sent Tuesday morning and is available to approximately 100 thousand people serving on Canadian Forces Bases in Canada and overseas.

A source at the Department of National Defence confirms to CFRA that the message is part of the Government of Canada Workplace Charitable Campaign (GCWCC) and that National Defence is a participant.

The promotional email states that the Canadian Armed Forces member has a chance to win “a Pair of Leather Boxing Gloves Signed by Justin Trudeau!  Help fight youth mental illness and addictions by participating in the Twelve Days of Bidding silent auction to win a pair of boxing gloves signed by Justin Trudeau himself. All proceeds will go towards Project Be, an initiative endorsed by the Clerk of the Privy Council.” ...

Credit where credit is due- the Liberals made a tough (right) decision on Kinder Morgan and line 3 today. It will almost certainly cost them seats west of the Rockies in the next election.

SeaKingTacco said:
Credit where credit is due- the Liberals made a tough (right) decision on Kinder Morgan and line 3 today. It will almost certainly cost them seats west of the Rockies in the next election.

But make many in AB happy,

milnews.ca said:
Meanwhile, what rocket surgeon thought THIS would be OK?!?

I sure do not think that that "rocket surgeon" has the pulse of the CAF.  That or the amount of "arrogance" in that clique is reaching well beyond the outer stratosphere.

George Wallace said:
I sure do not think that that "rocket surgeon" has the pulse of the CAF.  That or the amount of "arrogance" in that clique is reaching well beyond the outer stratosphere.
Not much comfort, but it appears the CAF isn't the only federal department who got this email - I say no more ...  Here's to rocket surgeons everywhere who get a bad name from decisions like this!  :facepalm:

CFRA news has obtained an internal email that encourages military men and women to participate in a silent auction benefiting young people, using an image of what appears to be a star-struck young woman.
If you scroll down at the CFRA site, the picture of the enthused blonde woman is also used above the heading, "Prizes."

I'll comment no further; I guess Op Honour works.  ;)

Journeyman said:
If you scroll down at the CFRA site, the picture of the enthused blonde woman is also used above the heading, "Prizes."

I'll comment no further; I guess Op Honour works.  ;)
Can't blame Op Honour - this appears to be an e-mail that was sent from "The Centre" to at least two government departments, CF being only one of them.

Is it weird I want to win those boxing gloves and just spend all day smelling them and rubbing them all over my face? He's so dreamy. What a leader!

George Wallace said:

When you been ordained "messiah", it is hard to see the needs and sins of the little people.  Can't wait until we start building pyramids for our god-PM.  Personally, I think I will recite the Torah for Bat Mitzvah and avoid this new religion.

I wonder just how far Canadians will allow themselves to be pushed before we see the sort of backlash like the Brexit or Trump come and penetrate the comfortable bubble the "Laurentian Elites" are living in?

Jarnhamar said:
Is it weird I want to win those boxing gloves and just spend all day smelling them and rubbing them all over my face?
As long as it's just your face ...  >:D

I wonder if anyone here has a direct contact info for our PM. I want to get past his entourage and pass this directly to him so he will be in the know:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/11/29/samsung-galaxy-s8-could-revolutionize-selfies.html

Samsung Galaxy S8 could revolutionize selfies

I also note the revolutionize fits in with his Castro image.

Should we expect a change of tone for 2017?
The Justin Trudeau honeymoon is over
Justin Trudeau was booed at the Grey Cup game. He should get used to it.

macleans.ca
November 30, 2016

Amid the Ottawa Redblacks’ thrilling 39-33 overtime win over the Calgary Stampeders in the 104th Grey Cup this past weekend, there was a moment that seemed to unite all fans, regardless of team loyalty or level of inebriation. The appearance of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau offering a pregame greeting via video screen was immediately met with widespread, lusty and prolonged booing rendering his message entirely unintelligible. (Although “Castro was a dictator!” was heard from some corners of the stadium.)

Unlike his predecessor, former prime minister Stephen Harper—who assiduously courted the Canadian Football League crowd and attended the championship game in person wearing a Stampeders jersey—the urbane Trudeau has little obvious appeal to CFL fans and their blue-collar sensibilities; Justin Bieber got the same treatment in 2012. Yet Trudeau should prepare himself for many more “Grey Cup salutes” in the coming year. Having staked his political success on sunny optimism and emotional intelligence, Trudeau is about to face plenty of situations where no one wants a selfie.

More than just football fans have leapt to criticize Trudeau’s effusive eulogy for Cuban dictator Fidel Castro. “I know my father was very proud to call him a friend,” Trudeau said in offering his “deepest condolences to the family, friends and many, many supporters of Mr. Castro.” Such a sentiment ignores Castro’s lamentable record on human rights, as well as his role in bringing the world as close as it’s ever come to nuclear war. It is also instructive of Trudeau’s style, since it reveals his emotive instincts and desire to avoid conflict. He felt a connection with Castro and was moved to share it, as befits our social media age. But there’s more to being a leader than spreading good cheer.

Trudeau came to power last October riding a wave of optimism and the promise of change. His platform made hundreds of campaign commitments unencumbered by the hedging familiar to most politicians. He vowed a new way of doing business in Ottawa. He spent the first few months wiping away all vestiges of the previous Harper government. Then Trudeau unleashed a seemingly endless series of public consultations: a federal website currently lists 70 ongoing consultations on everything from Canada Post’s future to national security legislation to the Canada Food Guide. There is nothing wrong with asking for public input, of course, but it’s starting to feel like these consultations are just a way of delaying final decisions.

It is the nature of leadership that it is impossible to please all people all the time. Many successful leaders will say it’s often impossible to please anyone a large part of the time. This is the situation in which Trudeau finds himself on Canada’s desperate need for new pipeline capacity. As he learned this week by approving Kinder Morgan and rejecting Northern Gateway, a yea or nay on any particular project will inevitably leave large segments of either the environmental or the business community upset. These are decisions that make enemies, not friends.

A few campaign commitments have already come a cropper. The Liberal platform promised “implementation” of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples as a result of accepting all recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. But doing so would give Native groups a veto over all future resource projects in Canada, something Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould has admitted is “not a practical option.” And the claim that 2015 would be the last federal election held under first-past-the-post rules is looking increasingly unlikely to survive growing demands for a referendum and timing constraints.

In other cases, attempts to shoehorn government actions into the constraints of platform promises has produced such policy absurdities as the Liberals’ announcement last week that the Royal Canadian Air Force will buy 18 Super Hornet fighter jets. This stopgap measure is necessary only because Trudeau vowed never to buy the F-35 Joint Strike Fighters favoured by the Harper government. Similarly, Trudeau pulled our existing CF-18s out of the fight against Islamic State earlier this year because he said Canada should not be on the front lines. It has since emerged, however, that Canadian soldiers sent to train Kurdish forces have engaged in active firefights with the enemy. Quelle différence?

Then there’s the current cash-for-access scandal, in which Trudeau attended a $1,500-a-head private function with businessmen seeking a favourable ruling from government, which has left him looking like a run-of-the-mill politician with a hand out to wealthy supplicants.

Trudeau’s long honeymoon period is finally coming to an end. Now comes the difficult business of making hard choices, disappointing supporters and coping with the sense of cynicism that eventually settles on all politicians like so much dust. It’s not enough to be everybody’s friend; the Prime Minister needs to show he can make the tough decisions that leave plenty of folks feeling downright unsociable. It’s lonely at the top, but there’s a job to be done. 

http://www.macleans.ca/news/the-justin-trudeau-honeymoon-is-over/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back