• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Qualifications...are we or are we not.

Hello,

In the EMS service that I work for we routinely defer care to more qualified teams. (i.e. BC Ambulance Infant Transport Team, U of A Neonatal Team, ect..)  They climb in our ambulance with all their specialized kit and we help them.  They are a higher level of care.

Also, when we fly patients down South we routinely carry on with care.  (i.e.  ALS patient being transfer to a PCP staff ambulance) I have for example cared for a ventilated patient in the back of a BC ambulance (staffed with BC PCP) on the way to St Paul's Hospital.  Not problems, no questions.

If your providing care as an ACP and you meet with a civilian BLS unit you go with that unit.  Unless, of course, there is some other pressing reason you can not go.

Thanks for that, but in the military, it does not always work that way.

I as a Sgt 6A qualified med tech, may transfer my patient to an ambulance manned by a QL 3 Pte.  Mission coming first, I must go back to the troops I am supporting and off they go in the amb. That is the way the chain of evac is supposed to work.

Same if I pass my cas to a civ amb. The only time we can go with them is if they specifically ask us for assistance. Reg F med techs do not hold provincial license (unless they get it on their own), only equivalency.

Also, if you are working as a QL whatever Med Tech in uniform, it does not matter what you are qualified on Civ street, you are still a military med tech and must defer care of you cas to the amb crew who picks them up. I have seen military doctors report pass their cas to several amb crews, and after the report to the  crew is given, the MO walks away (often to call the ER Doc at the receiving facility).

As a five-year Private with both Reg Force training and a civilian medic license, I find all these posts about reserve scope of practise/QL level of utmost interest. How is is that the Resrves are recruiting members with civilian medical licenses, and with Reg Force training, and yet I am both, and no one cares?
I did a BE as a Med A/Med Tech from 2001-2004; then did a component transfer to the Reserves (4b Release; no broken time). I did my QL3 crse in spring 2001, one of the last of the Med A crses before the changeover to PCP. I was posted to 1 Fd Amb, where the unit got a bunch of us our AB EMT license, as the AOCP meets/beats the NOCP for PCP. (It is such a relief to be able to speak my mind, knowing that these acronyms will be recognized and their significance understood.) So I have a Certificate of Military Achievement for a CF EMT Equivalency course, and an AB EMT license. I now live in New Brunswick, have an EMT license, and am accepted as PCP equivalent. I work as a PCP and as an EMT (life of a Casual!) My scope of practise is Advanced Airway Mgmt (Light Wand, Combitube, Magill Forceps for FBAO), IV Therapy, Symptomatic Relief (ASA, Nitro for angina/CHF, Epi, Benadryl, D50W, Glucagon, Ventolin), and Semi-Automatic/Manual Defib.
My original QL3 crse did include IV's, ECG's, parenteral meds, and other such topics that I believe are no longer part of the ResQL4 training or practise. Yet I put on my green uniform, go parade Class A, and am told that I am a QL3 and NOT a QL4 R711 - and so I am a Private, I cannot even work an immunization parade, (funny I distinctly remember having to do needle parade as a Pte at the Fd Amb several Years ago), I cannot do anything other than sweep the floor (at least I was also qualified to do that at the Fd Amb, incidentally the only skill the Reserves have permitted me to retain.)
I have submitted my qual's and memo's - incl QL3 crse report with PO's/EO's list attached - proof of current licensing, proof of current employment. I submitted the Annex B from the memo detailing how a civilian EMT reservist can be granted Area Surg blessing to work up to their civi scope. I got it all handed back to me. (Twice.) I am now going through the process described in the link provided as info to sqn_medic's orig question - the Prior Learning Assessment. The one where the Candidate does up a lovely introduction of themselves, jazzes up their resume, provides proof of their education, training, and any relevant licensure - and it is then decided how much of their training they still need to complete. I am now spending time that I do not have to painstakingly rewrite my resume, and sell myself in an introduction, to an organization that has continously employed me for FIVE years. To get a qualification - QL4Res - that my training exceeded years ago, as a QL3 Reg, never mind the EMT training. (Incidentally, the other mbrs at Fd Amb that I did my EMT training with - who have all stayed in the Regs at Fd Amb - had a PLA sent on their behalf to Borden, and subsequently were recognized as being PCP equivalent and exempted from the emergent portion of their QL5 crse. So yes, the trg holds up.)
So, I have the civi med qual's (Incl ACLS & PALS.) I have the green trg and fd/garrison clinic/op experience to go with it, too. Does anyone know where I fit in??                 

MommyMedic said:
I have submitted my qual's and memo's - incl QL3 crse report with PO's/EO's list attached - proof of current licensing, proof of current employment. I submitted the Annex B from the memo detailing how a civilian EMT reservist can be granted Area Surg blessing to work up to their civi scope. I got it all handed back to me. (Twice.) I am now going through the process described in the link provided as info to sqn_medic's orig question - the Prior Learning Assessment. The one where the Candidate does up a lovely introduction of themselves, jazzes up their resume, provides proof of their education, training, and any relevant licensure - and it is then decided how much of their training they still need to complete. I am now spending time that I do not have to painstakingly rewrite my resume, and sell myself in an introduction, to an organization that has continously employed me for FIVE years. To get a qualification - QL4Res - that my training exceeded years ago, as a QL3 Reg, never mind the EMT training.

First, Welcome.

I had to do the above process for my transfer to the PRL list. My experience was that it worked. However, It wasn't a qualification that
I applied for.  Rather, they took a look at everything I sent in, I did a couple of telephone calls with Borden, and they decided what
qualifications to write off.

As a side note, my understanding was that Reserve QL4 was long gone and no longer existed.  Perhaps someone else can substantiate
or refute that.

OM, with regards to Res QL4...I don't know about "long" gone, but the word is it's dead.  The Res tng is two  packages, approximately 6 week chunks that will give the person a Reg F QL3 (Less PCP).  I'm not sure what the two of them are being called yet. 

I, too, have to wonder how many times I should have to present my credentials to the same employer, year after year after year.

DF

Gentlemen,
Thanks for your speedy replies. I find it very reassuring to find out that someone has undergone this process and emerged on the other side with qualifications that make them employable. Also, it has been a tremendous stress relief just to see that I am not the only one stymied and confused at the COC response to having a mbr with a civi ticket. At this point, I am almost ready to submit the PLA, so there is little point exploring other avenues anyway. I am now looking ahead to see what possible snags may be next.
No more QL4, eh? Possibly I am just misinformed as to what the training is called. The Med A's at my unit tell me they have done 2 courses at CFMSS, each about 5 weeks in length. This 2nd segment is, I believe, what my WO thinks I should have to do. I don't care what they call it; if it is not at least at the PCP level I don't see how it benefits myself or the CF to do it. I think most civi paramedics doing a PLA process find that they still need to do a lesser QL to get the Green skills - but again, I don't see how they could be putting something on the Jr R711 trg that I didn't get in 3 years in. On a high note, I have finally finished tweaking the resume, and so may be a step closer to at least getting back my QL3 scope of practise. Seriously, until I discovered this forum, I was very discouraged about the whole situation; friends tell me to OT, go PRL, pull the pin - none of which appeal to me. I want to do Class A service as a Med A; I don't care if I ever do No-Duff coverage again - I want to train as an army medic and run around playing silly bugger - I just would like to do it as a Cpl after all this time, and I want to be able to contribute to the medical training. I love my civi jobs and I am not interested in Class B at this time (sorry Kirsten!)  But it would be nice to at least be Qualified to apply for a Class B; as a QL3 Pte Reservist is not very employable in any trade. Thanks again for sharing your information.

The trick is to submit your resume, cover letter and copies of all your courses, certificates and licenses to Borden through your clinical standards O. He/She will be able to assist you in doing up your PLA application.

So far I have submitted three and two are back with full Reg QL3 quals.

Once you have that, all you have to to is submit your licenses once a year to show that you are still current.

DF,

I will send you the link on the DIN next week when I am in the office.

GF

quick question.....

Would an applicant for a med tech with the following CIVI qualifications be eligible to have the QL3 written off, and possibly automatic promo to acting/lacking Cpl at their unit (obviously after BMQ) ?

-EMR
-PCP (various sub courses/certifications that go w/ it)
-On car experience (limited) actually very limited.
-IV

Another thing...Are new DND med techs required to have the same pre-requisites as a civi PCP applicant. Class 4 DL, EMR/OFA, CPR-C, etc?

Ryan,

I'll assume you're still talking Reg F...

No, you won't get QL3 written off, but you will get a chunk of it credited to you, like the PCP portion.

Med Tech applicants don't need any previous medical experience or training, and they need to have a drivers license, but not a class 4.

DF

ParaMedTech said:
Ryan,

I'll assume you're still talking Reg F...

No, you won't get QL3 written off, but you will get a chunk of it credited to you, like the PCP portion.

Med Tech applicants don't need any previous medical experience or training, and they need to have a drivers license, but not a class 4.

DF

thanks man. Yeah its reg force. I always forget to specify that. I am just trying to make the right decision over the next few weeks here in regards to my intial entry into the CF. This site has been far more informative than MOST of the recruiters that I have delt with.

Ryan,
If you are joining the reg and are already qualified PCP you can apply for "time credit towards promotion".  You should do this on enrollment, but can apply after you are joined.  You need to have your info from the college (or where you recieved your training).  This must include: number of days that your course was, as well as the subject you covered on your course.  I currently have a pte in my unit who was grant this,  it was based on the above mention and the days granted where time they saved by coming in already trained.  I believe this was 45 days.  So she will get her Cpl's 45 days early.  The pte did have to go to Borden and complete the military portion of her QL 3, as well as basic. She  didn't have to go to BC though.
Hope this helps
Kirsten

Back