• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about joining the Reserves

If you served for "less than 12 months" in the Regular Force, the BMQ qualification is valid for 24 months from the date of release.

Let me preface this with saying I've used the search button and it has yielded nothing.

I'm 19 years old, and a hopefully a soon to be reserve Pte. in training. I've been a hockey since I was 6 and a football player since 12. Around 14/15 dip became big in the locker room pre and post game. Today I no longer play football or hockey at as high a level as I was, but I still do enjoy a nice dip.

My question is what is the Canadian Force outlook to smokeless tobacco, i.e..dip, chewing tobacco etc..I know that in the physical fitness guide it says to quit smoking as when you start training and before BMQ(Not an issue for me) but is dip looked at the same way, i.e quit when you start training.

This may be a stupid question, but I just want a general idea of the use of smokeless tobacco in the forces, do guys dip on field exercises or when there sitting around in the shacks/vehicle hangars shooting the shit and training..

I appreciate any good answers on this...
Thanjs

Didn't know dip was a thing for 14/15 year olds these days.

Numerous people in the CAF use dip, smoke, etc. Quitting though would be beneficial for your health, as it can be pretty nasty for your mouth, etc. I assume it would be recommended to quit using dip, just like how it is recommended to quit smoking. But if you wish to continue doing it, that is your choice.

Piece of advice for you(and anyone else who dips).  Don't leave spit bottles laying around.. clean up after yourself. Oh and make sure the lid on your spit bottle is on tight.. especially when in a vehicle;  it isn't appreciated when spit splashes/leaks out.

KerryBlue said:
My question is what is the Canadian Force outlook to smokeless tobacco, i.e..dip, chewing tobacco etc..

Rules regarding chewing tobacco 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/96024/post-964000.html#msg964000

mariomike said:
Rules regarding chewing tobacco 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/96024/post-964000.html#msg964000
Prepare to merge - merging.... NOW.

Milnet.ca Staff

As a smoker, I know smoking is gross, however, I try not to be a pig about it.  I don't throw butts on the ground and I empty the butt cans (or butt stops if they're not locked) and volunteer to clean up the smoking area during the annual outdoor clean up, even though I'm not the lazy ass tossing butts on the ground.

Here's my opinion on "chew": 

Don't do it where smoking is not allowed.  It just pissed people (smokers and nonsmokers) off. 
Skeletor had a good point.  To add to that, do NOT use a clear bottle for your spit.  Use an opaque bottle or a coffee cup with a lid, and yes, don't leave it sitting around.

Hi all:
I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked, but after about 3 hrs of digging through Google search results, I decided to throw in the towel and turn to you guys. First off, a little bit about myself. My goal in the CF is to go into a combat arms trade in the reserves (probably arty or armoured recce) with the 36 Canadian Brigade Group, graduate from HS, complete a police foundations degree, then a university degree (something like criminology or psychology) and CT to the Reg Force military police trade. My questions are as follows: can you still join the reserves at age 16? If so, can you apply (I know that you can't be sworn in until all prerequisites are met) while still in grade 10? Or do you have to wait until you have finished grade 10 to even begin the application process? I ask about the minimum age because this CANFORGEN states that as long as you are a full-time student, which I would be, you can join the PRes, -
CANFORGEN 038/11 CMP 019/11 171252Z FEB 11
AMENDMENT TO MINIMUM ENROLMENT AGE DAOD 5002-1
UNCLASSIFIED

REF: DAOD 5002-1 ENROLMENT

THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO AMEND THE POLICY AT REF REGARDING THE MINIMUM AGES FOR ENROLMENT IN THE CF. THIS AMENDMENT BROADENS THE SELECTION OF EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS UNDER WHICH AN APPLICANT MAY BE ENROLLED AT AGE 16. REF WILL BE MODIFIED IN DUE COURSE

THE MINIMUM AGE TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR ENROLMENT VARIES. TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR ENROLMENT IN THE REGULAR FORCE, AN APPLICANT IS REQUIRED TO HAVE REACHED:

AGE 16, IF THE APPLICANT IS SELECTED FOR EDUCATION AND TRAINING AT A ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE OR CIVILIAN UNIVERSITY OR COLLEGE, OR

AGE 17 IN ALL OTHER CASES

IN THE RESERVE FORCE, AN APPLICANT MUST BE:

AGE 18, IF THE APPLICANT ENROLS IN THE COATS OR CANADIAN RANGERS

AGE 16, IF THE APPLICANT IS SELECTED FOR EDUCATION AND TRAINING AT A ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE OR OTHERWISE MAINTAINS FULL-TIME STUDENT STATUS UNTIL AGE 17

AGE 17 IN ANY OTHER CASE

THE MINIMUM AGE FOR ENROLMENT IN THE SPECIAL FORCE IS AGE 17

THE CONSENT OF A CUSTODIAL PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN IS REQUIRED FOR THE ENROLMENT OF AN APPLICANT WHO IS UNDER THE AGE OF 18 ON THE DAY OF ENROLMENT

CDA HAS BEEN REQUESTED TO UNDERTAKE A REVIEW OF THE HIGH SCHOOL CO-OP INITIATIVE FOR P RES CANDIDATES TO ENSURE IT MEETS THE INTENT OF THIS POLICY AMENDMENT

DGMP/DHRD WILL CONDUCT A REVIEW OF THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR RESERVE SUMMER PROGRAMS, BLACK BEAR, RAVEN AND BOLD EAGLE, TO ENSURE THAT THEY REMAIN COMPLIANT WITH THIS POLICY

SIGNED BY RADM A. SMITH, CMP

while this excerpt from forces.ca says that you must be 17 -

To apply to the Canadian Forces, you must:
Be a Canadian Citizen.
Be 17 years of age, with parental consent, or older, except:
Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applications must be 16 or older.

Thanks in advance for any clarity you may be able to bring up.

Edit: For clarity.

You must be 17 with parental consent unless you're applying to an Educational Program (ROTP at RMC for example) or a full-time student.

MPHopeful13 said:
can you still join the reserves at age 16?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/107994/post-1182512.html#msg1182512
See Reply #2 and #3.
"Reserve Force - 16 years of age, with parental consent, provided you are currently attending school full-time."

17 is for Reg force with parental consent. You can join the reserves at the age of 16 with parental consent but must be enrolled in a full-time school until the age of 17 I believe.

Thanks everyone for your answers. Can't wait to turn 16 and get the ball rolling. One last thing, do you guys know if I have to wait until I finish grade 10 to apply, or can I apply while still in grade 10? Ex: I turn 16 in November 2014, and finish grade 10 in June 2015. Can I apply in Nov/14 or do I have to wait until June (probably closer to July)/15?

Who can apply:

To apply to the Canadian Forces, you must:

Be a Canadian Citizen.
    Be 17 years of age, with parental consent, or older, except:
      - Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applications must be 16 or older.
    Have completed at least Grade 10 or Secondaire IV (in Quebec).
        Certain entry programs and occupations require higher levels of education.

Taken directly from the forces.ca website. Seems pretty unequivocal to me.

Yes you can, I was 16 when I started BMQ which was recently. I just turned 17!

16 years old and want to join the CF 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/13208.0

7 pages.

I'm 16 and I want to join the CF
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/27638.0.html

6 pages.

Godwinlee said:

No, he can not. Read the extract from the CF Recruiting website: he has not completed grade 10.

I was a PRes recruiter until last April. You cannot apply until you have completed grade ten. You must also meet one of the two age requirements: either 17 years old, or 16 AND a full time student (including high school).

To my knowledge this standard has not changed.

MPHopeful13 said:
Thanks everyone for your answers. Can't wait to turn 16 and get the ball rolling. One last thing, do you guys know if I have to wait until I finish grade 10 to apply, or can I apply while still in grade 10? Ex: I turn 16 in November 2014, and finish grade 10 in June 2015. Can I apply in Nov/14 or do I have to wait until June (probably closer to July)/15?

Yeah....you're looking at atleast 1 1/2 years before you can even apply....so more then 2 years most likely before you can wear the uniform....if you are still interested at that point.  2 years is a long time when you're a teen in high school.

Godwinlee said:

Obviously had Gr 10 or they wouldn't be in the Military.  If you're born late in the year (like I was) then you'll have Gr 10 completed when you're 15.  You have to wait until you're 16 because I believe that's the age of consent....or something like that

Thanks again to everyone for the insight. As much as this is a slight bump in the road, I'll just take it all in stride, using the next year and a half to get in awesome shape, bring down my 5k and 10k times (maybe get up to a half marathon? :)), focus on school, volunteering, getting some work experience, etc. At the end of the day, I know what I want to do with my life, and I believe that I will still know when I finish grade 10.

Hello,

Earlier today I contacted my local reserve unit via telephone, and I was told to start the process by applying online. Right now I am doing so, however, the trade in which I am applying for is not listed. I am looking to join the SALH, however Armoured Recon/ Armoured soldier is not listed.

So I have three quick questions:

1. Is it listed as something else under military occupations (I am at the stage where I select 3)

2. I am currently attending university, so do I list that as my highest education?

3. Since I am a student, what should I list my entry plan as?

Thanks.

You need to go back to SALH and speak to them again.  Something may have gotten lost in translation. 

Right off the forces.ca website.......important points are highlighted in yellow, parts in red may not have happened, especially, if you are asking these types of questions.

*** If you are interested in joining the Reserves, your first step is to contact one of your local Reserve units to find out which positions are available. They will work with you to identify a job, fill in all the required application forms, and advise you through the process

Back