• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting Posters, Slogans and Commercials [Merged]

P-Free said:
No point in stupid mottos or flashy advertising, just gets peoples hopes up and then they have them crushed...

Perhaps you could be more specific... have your hopes and dreams been crushed? I have had nothing but a worthwhile, honourable and exciting career. Full of travel to exotic countries, strange illnesses, and meeting and working some of the finest people in the country of Canada. :cdn: Many are true heroes. :salute:

"Join the Canadian Army! We won't mess your head up as much as the Marines."

I love the f'n government, cuz the government loves f'n me....?

Don't even know if we HAVE a slogan.  You'd think if they're gonna hire that 5K more, they'd at least try to market a bit...

The Site was just updated....I was on it yesterday, and it had the old school look...I went back today,  and its starting to look more bada$$!!!

http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/

I made a new topic for this....but thought itd be only appropriate to post it here..

Just took a peek at IAP etc.  This is great ... what detail ... and I like the layout too ... :)

Chimo said:
Perhaps you could be more specific... have your hopes and dreams been crushed? I have had nothing but a worthwhile, honourable and exciting career. Full of travel to exotic countries, strange illnesses, and meeting and working some of the finest people in the country of Canada. :cdn: Many are true heroes. :salute:

Mine..? No..

Those people who joined because of the cool vids and advertising...hmmm..maybe....

P......

I've always figued the recruiting slogan is an indicator of what type of person will be attracted ...
For example:
US Army WWI, WWII:   "I want YOU for the US Army" - no, not you - sit down, loser - I was pointing at the fit, intelligent guy behind you ...
US Army 1981-2001:   "Be all you can be" - nothing wrong with this challenge to achieve your full potential.
British Army:   "Be The Best" - otherwise, don't even bother ...
Australian Army:   "The Army. The Edge"   - gotta luv the Aussies, eh?
US Army 2001- :   "An Army Of One" - what was wrong with the old one ... ?
USAF:   "Aim High" - kewl!
Old US Navy:   "It's not a job, it's an adventure" - hopefully weeding out those who are "only looking for a job" ...
Classic USMC:   "The Few, The Proud" - politically correct version of "We're Looking For A Few Good Men"
Favourite USMC:   "Nobody wants to fight, but somebody has to know how" - hopefully instills the idea that we don't start/go looking for a fight, but if one comes looking for us ... we'll finish it.

US SF:   "People don't join us because we're special - they join because they are." - hmmm ...

And then we've got the Canadian slogans:

"There's no life like it" - somebody looking for a unique lifestyle (or a cushy job)
"It's your life, your future" - meh.
"Explore The Possibilities: Navy, Army, Air Force." - please, PLEASE tell me the taxpayers' money didn't pay some marketing genius for THAT ...
"Proud, proven, professional" - somebody who wants to be professional/proud of what they do
"Strong. Proud: Today's Canadian Forces" - the successor ... hmmm ... "Strong and Proud" ... why does that sound so familiar, in a patriotic kind of way ...

Or, the relatively new Canadian Army motto:   "We Stand On Guard" - slouchers need not apply.

In the Comm Res we have

"Your Pride, Your Future, Your Move..."

but that appears to have faded out of sight recently, I kinda liked that one!

This is probably best answered by someone in the DND marketing department.. :)  OR maybe someone in recruiting would know the  official verisons.

People appear to be confusing the army with the forces as a whole... clearly the "One army, One..." motto would be for the army only, not the CF.  2 years ago I believe the CF advertising motto was "Strong, Proud..."  and the recruiting "slogan", was "Your pride... your move."  Not sure if this is still the case.

One Army? never heared of that one before, and if it is actually a slogan of ours then either the americans have taken all the good slogans or it was an actual US recruiting slogan.  i think we need some new recruiting stratagies and slogans that appeal more to the younger crowd. Stratagies that show that the CF isnt just a place where u go to fight other ppl and possibly die, but a place of opportunity to do good for your country and other country;s, a place where afordable education is avaliable, and where noumerous opportunities lie waiting for the right person.( well im not in it for the education really, maybe just map reading and survival, i just love the infantry! HOOAH!)

To be honest, I'd argue against that....

All the people I was with were well-versed on the "opportunities" available in the forces, and IMVHO, not enough of them were actually interested in serving their country.

I mean, if you go to the US Army's site (goarmy.com) they have a series of videos following an entire 9 week basic training session, going really in depth, interviewing each recruit, and taking looks at each small part of the training. On our site, we have these outdated looking videos for each trade, wherein the narrator and people talking seem fully intent on making the military seem as boring an unnatractive as humanly possible. And I know we do have one 25 minute looking at the Basic Training of a group of Navy recruits, however, it just wasn't that exciting at all, and didn't show anything that I think would draw your average person to the forces. I simply didn't get any of the same feeling of "Man, I really wanna sign up as soon as I can" as I did from the US videos. Also, the "Strong. Proud" video they show on TV isn't that good. It's too short, and doesn't show anything particularly exciting. So yeah, I'm still intent on joining up, but I think the Forces would get a lot more intent if they made themselves look "cooler" and more exciting to the public.

I agree.   Although this topic has been covered in several other threads, a moderator should probably lock it up before it gets too in-depth.{merged] Bruce

For a good comparison though:   think of the CF recruiting ads on TV right now.   Pretty generic, somewhat vague, big in teamwork and good spirits and some cool photography and videowork, lacking when it comes to details about trades, programs, incentives, or anything like that.

I saw a US Navy (Personally, I think they have some of the coolest videos out there) recruiting ad the other day.   It had a cool drumbeat in the background to get your juices going, then a cool video snapwork of a crewman onboard a naval ship looking at a hostile target with pinpoint precision, and a team of SEALs slowly slipping through the shadows to take it out.   Short, but attention grabbing and cool, and it mentioned various incentives such as doing online-degrees while serving and having tuition paid.   It also mentioned a new program to have college professors onboard naval ships to assist sailors in their studies.

I know the legal questions arise from having professionals onboard warships, unless they are military professors.   Point remains though, informative and attention grabbing.   We should look at doing something similar.

About 3 weeks back i was tasked to a study for upcomming recruitment issues...

They had tasked about 10 of us out and we just sat in a room and were givin four different angles in which the CF was perhaps planning on proceeding and making into full commercials...

I was NOT very content with the ideas they had given....  most were corny and kinda "american" in nature.  But if there was one thing that i could bring away form it is that they will grab attention....

And dont blame me if you get the word "fight" BURNED into your sub concious :skull:

Didn't want to reinvent the wheel, so I found an old subject that definitely needs new discussions.

This past weekend, I came across yet another (lame) CF advertisement. This one was worse than most. It featured the slogan "I'm looking for: A career I'll take pride in:" and discussed that a wide range of careers were available, along with specialized training, and the kicker - subsidized education !

Now, if that wasn't enough to get the imagination and juices flowing, the image sure was  ::). It was actually two images, with one superimposed over another. The primary image was of a first nations woman in old style combats. She had her sleeves rolled up about three rolls to the midpoint of her forarms. She was bespectacled, and was sporting a ponytail. She was without headgear, and her head was turned to face the camera as she appeared to be working with a socket wrench.

This image was superimposed over another of a male and female with baseball caps, in what appears to be a navy control room.

Now, if I were a young 18 year old male, with testosterone flowing, looking for adventure and belonging, looking for something that would have me beeming with pride, this campain would have the same effect on me as an advertisement for feminine hygiene products.

I'm definitely not an expert here, but either I don't get it, or, I think, more accurately, the CF recruiting department doesn't get it. If they need inspiration on what motivates young men IMHO, look south. Watch the U.S. ads that air during major sporting events. As a middle-aged man, when I see the USMC ads, it makes me want to cross the border and join (if only for a minute).

If, as I understand it to be, the combat arms are constantly struggling to meet it's goals with quality personnel, and with greater challenges on the horizon, why does the CF continually produce ads that seem to appeal more to clients in a woman's shelter than to a strapping young lad right out of high school.

Focus on true toughness, the current anti-terrorist mission, guns and more guns, and maybe even a little bit of patriotism. How about using that famous sniper picture from WW2 (the one with the moustached guy with the bandanna), and have it morph into a sniper of today?

By removing the constraints imposed by touchy-feely, equal opportunity, multi-cult pap, the CF could produce a series of campains that would have the youth of the nation clamouring to join, allowing for the selection of the best of the best.

But, of course, not likely to happen. So sad.   

I have to agree wholeheartedly on this one. We (the Armour Corps) had a goal of recruiting 300+ in the last year, and ended up at roughly 50% of that (150). I'm sure the reasons are many and varied, but one can't help but feel that these types of ad campaigns don't do anything to create line-ups outside the door of the Recruiting Centers of gung-ho, snake eating young go-getters. I think it puts off a lot of people, and recruits the wrong kind of people (the one's who think that the military is a cake-walk, and a place to cultivate the sand that they have in their fallopian tubes/mangina into a beautiful pearl).

One day, when I'm the CDS/PM/MND......

Al

I'm gonna go on record as saying I like the Canadian army website, especially the flash introduction, its a great springboard for a modernized ad campaign. I think its important to have the Army, Navy and Airforce form their own "theme" for recruiting and pursue them independently through ADM(PA), as long as they receive funding that realistically reflects their needs, I.E. If the Army needs more people than the Navy, and the Navy needs more people than the Airforce the "air-time" allotted to each needs to reflect that.

Recruiting is a tough job, especially for the Comm Res, its hard to get more obscure than us. I also feel a separate ad campaign for the reserve elements is in order, I realize we are "One Team" but the reserves do present different challenges and opportunities WRT employment and training that need to be made apparent to the Canadian public.

For the most part, the CFRG and individual units and their recruiters are taking the CDS directives regarding recruiting to heart, but it certainly seems that ADM(PA) isn't quite on the same page as the rest of us. Most people on this forum likely agree with my above statement, and if anyone "in the know" has heard otherwise please post it here or PM me about it.

Back