• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Religion in the Canadian Forces & in Canadian Society

My 'celebration' of Christmas hasn't got much to do with any religious belief system, other than the fact that the 25th of December is the day I give gifts to my family and have a big dinner. Easter = long weekend, same with Thanksgiving except that there is turkey. I honestly DO NOT pay any heed to so called religious holidays because they are NOT religous to me or my family and never have been. Besides, I think the vast majority of these days have been absolutely corrupted by corporate greed. My wife and I do not recognize 'Hallmark' holidays.

I agree that much of what defines us as a Military and specifically as a Canadian organization lie in the traditions that we observe. Religion doesn't need to be a part of it, it should be there if you want it but should never be forced.

Unfortunately, no matter how much you want to deny it, there are Religious undertones to most of our lives.  Many of our military traditions are religious in origin, some predate Christianity.  In many Combat Arms units there are ceremonies involving the stacking of drums to form an alter.  There are ceremonies to consecrate Unit Colours.  Church Parades are very rare now, but you may find them for the dedication of memorials, or funerals.  There are Remembrance ceremonies.  There is Grace said at the beginning of Mess Dinners and then the toast "God Save the Queen" at the end.  Some want a Military Wedding or the entitlement to a Military Funeral.  They colour our lives.  Traditions are what make us.  Without them we are colourless, dull, meaningless.  Even the air you breath, could be Religious, if you follow some religions and believe in Wind Spirits.

Deny your wife or girlfriend a small gift, flowers, or a dinner out on the fourteenth and see how much religion plays a part in your life.  You are free to go through life and deny its' existence, but it will always be there, whether you like it or not.  St Valentine's Day, although arising more out of a Pagan religion, is still a religious event.

I do agree with you on many points, but I feel that some respect and courtesy towards the beliefs of your comrades is a lot better than the sham that this Officer pulled off.  It no doubt lost him friends and credibility.  Although he did try to get out of the ceremony, I feel he showed bad taste in his actions.  I do agree that his superior, who knew of his beliefs, showed poor leadership qualities in not exempting him and is also "guilty".  I am really peeved at the PC way that this incident played out, and feel the whole thing was wrong--both parties are guilty.

GW

It has been said countless times before me but the bottom line is about showing respect! Many on this site have no respect for anything different or anything that "infringes" on their rights. If you are a serving member and have a problem with removing your headdress for a prayer on a parade you don't deserve to serve. If this "officer" is what we are recruiting these days then I fear for what will become of the Forces.
A little phrase "service before self" seems lost on these idiots, who place self before service. They have shown that they only care for themselves and to hell with anything they don't like. What he was in good need of was a punch in the teeth for being a jackass!
If you don't like what I've said, too f***ing bad. I am also an agnostic person, but I have NO problems showing respect for others beliefs. Maybe some of you can do the same! :threat:

2 Cdo said:
If this "officer" is what we are recruiting these days then I fear for what will become of the Forces.

The Lt(N) in question joined the forces in 1978. So he wasn't recruited lately and is certainly no reflection of some kind of problem with Canadian youth or the type of people joining the CF today.

George Wallace said:
Deny your wife or girlfriend a small gift, flowers, or a dinner out on the fourteenth and see how much religion plays a part in your life.  You are free to go through life and deny its' existence, but it will always be there, whether you like it or not.  St Valentine's Day, although arising more out of a Pagan religion, is still a religious event.

A religious event? For who? My kids will exchange Valentines cards with school friends, I will get the wife a card and some candies. In my entire life I've never head of anyone making a religious event out of Valentines Day in any way, shape or form.

George Wallace said:
I am getting the feeling that some of the people here are arguing against religion and religious traditions in the military simply because they are young and know it all.  Traditions have been developed and passed down through thousands of years.  Just because you don't understand them, doesn't mean that they are obsolete or useless.  Perhaps, you just haven't fully grasped what they mean.

Being young[er] than others doesn't mean you can't understand something they do. Being old[er] than others doesn't mean you can mysteriously grasp concepts that others can't.

Just because one disagrees with a particular tradition does not mean you don't understand or comprehend it. Institutions don't evolve over the years? Do we still carry on with the same activities and traditions that the army did 100 years ago? 50 years ago? 10 years ago? The usefullness and practicalities of various traditions haven't been questioned over the years? Because something is a 'tradition' doesn't mean it is right now and can't be questioned.

41 year old whipper snapper....  :D

sigpig said:
A religious event? For who? My kids will exchange Valentines cards with school friends, I will get the wife a card and some candies. In my entire life I've never head of anyone making a religious event out of Valentines Day in any way, shape or form.

Let's see.....ST Valentine......Cupid....Just what were their origins? 

GW

sigpig said:
Just because one disagrees with a particular tradition does not mean you don't understand or comprehend it. Institutions don't evolve over the years? Do we still carry on with the same activities and traditions that the army did 100 years ago? 50 years ago? 10 years ago? The usefullness and practicalities of various traditions haven't been questioned over the years? Because something is a 'tradition' doesn't mean it is right now and can't be questioned.

41 year old whipper snapper.... :D

So we have no need for Tradition or Heritage?  Did we not form up in three ranks 10, 50 100, 150 years ago?  I suppose you suggest we just form up in a gaggle now?  No need to follow tradition when it comes to drill.  No need to salute senior officers.  No need to pay any form of courtesy to a superior?  While we are at it, why not throw out all our tactics, they haven't changed much over the last hundred years?  They have adapted to new situations and advances in weaponry and defensive devices.  Armour tactics have remained fairly unchanged for the past sixty/seventy years, just the vehicles and weapons have changed. 

Are you sure your statement is valid, Sigpig?

GW

George Wallace said:
Let's see.....ST Valentine......Cupid....Just what were their origins? 

GW

Well, lets see.... St Patricks Day. It has the name, but I don't recall a lot of whole lot of religiously significant events around green beer and parades. Because a day was given a name a long time ago, after co-opting it from the pagans, doesn't mean it has any religious significance today.

This is an example of an event that may have started as a religious one but has become something else over time. Things change, it isn't always for the worse.

I might sum up this topic as saying that most of us must feel like we are standing in the middle of a desert arguing with a bunch of rocks........Well, I'm going for a drink!

GW

George Wallace said:
So we have no need for Tradition or Heritage?  Did we not form up in three ranks 10, 50 100, 150 years ago?  I suppose you suggest we just form up in a gaggle now?  No need to follow tradition when it comes to drill.  No need to salute senior officers.  No need to pay any form of courtesy to a superior?  While we are at it, why not throw out all our tactics, they haven't changed much over the last hundred years?  They have adapted to new situations and advances in weaponry and defensive devices.  Armour tactics have remained fairly unchanged for the past sixty/seventy years, just the vehicles and weapons have changed. 

Are you sure your statement is valid, Sigpig?

GW

Where did I say we have no need for tradition or heritage? Where did I say don't salute superiors or a parade would be better with troops in a gaggle? I'm looking over my old posts but I can't find those statements.

What I'm trying to say is that things do change over time and saying you can't change something because that's the way it's always been may not be the right way to look at it. If something still has value and purpose fine, if not why not at least entertain the idea of a change if a valid argument can be made. The armour tactics and tanks  you speak of were a radical change from it's calvary predecessor. Aircraft carriers and air power were a change from the tradition of battleships but they seemed to work out fine.

There is one tradition I will agree with you on though, I think I'll have a drink too  ;)

"value and purpose" vs "valid argument" are subjective to the individuals involved.

For myself I am not about to give up the Engineers prayer.

Chimo

I think George's concern is that for some of us, the line gets very murky regarding "it infringes on my rights" versus "I don't feel like doing it". That's why some of us (Me, at least) are so possessive about some of these topics.

As a young Gunner, I was not a regular Church-goer. Most of us probably "didn't feel" like going to Church parades. We went anyway. It didn't kill any of us, any more than marching to lunch, or polishing our boots. Granted, in our Unit, there was not the diversity of cultures and/or religions (or lack thereof) that there seems to be today. My perception is that now, it would be very easy to say "It's against my rights to force me to do this" - when in reality, the soldier is not being horribly wronged, but simply doesn't want to do it. I've been out awhile, and maybe I am mis-reading the issue... If someone is as fervantly agnostic or Buddhist, with the same degree that some are Christian, then of course there should be allowances made out of respect.

I guess, to understand "our" point of view - we see the erosions of traditions as the beginning of the erosion of military values, principles, etc - whether they are "religious traditions" or otherwise. The argument has been made about many impractical, old traditions falling by the wayside, and I agree. The continuance of a tradition should be evaluated on practicality and value to the soldiers and/or Unit - not the Human Rights Commission.

14 Pages...my,my,how we do ramble on.Why not agree to disagree and get on with life?I go to church just about every week,but I don't feel as though that gives me the right to drag anybody else with me.Tell your CO that you don't feel that you should have to attend if it contradicts your beliefs(or lack thereof),and be done with it.It's neither a federal crime,nor a military crime to not go,is it?

gunner56 said:
14 Pages...my,my,how we do ramble on.Why not agree to disagree and get on with life?I go to church just about every week,but I don't feel as though that gives me the right to drag anybody else with me.Tell your CO that you don't feel that you should have to attend if it contradicts your beliefs(or lack thereof),and be done with it.It's neither a federal crime,nor a military crime to not go,is it?

Did you *READ* any of those 14 pages???

T

Maybe a whole new thread should be started on "the erosion of tradition in the CF."

I agree that this seems to have started going in circles...

I haven't read all of the posts,T,but I have read enough to get the general idea.Ya see,I've got a wife,6 kids,2 grandkids,1 more on the way.So,I guess I've got too much life goin' on to spend all my time reading every post in full detail.I skimmed enough to figure it out...y'all are goin' in circles,dontcha think?

gunner56 said:
I haven't read all of the posts,T,but I have read enough to get the general idea.Ya see,I've got a wife,6 kids,2 grandkids,1 more on the way.So,I guess I've got too much life goin' on to spend all my time reading every post in full detail.I skimmed enough to figure it out...y'all are goin' in circles,dontcha think?

That attitude is a great way to stick your foot in your mouth... If you can't be bothered to read the posts, your comments most likely won't fall into context.....

However, you are right....this has gone in a circle....several times............

GW

George Wallace said:
When it comes to traditions, many have their roots in ancient religions.  Many of our Military traditions are also from ancient rites.  You seem to feel that we don't need these traditions. 
No.  I have not said that, nor have I suggested that.  Traditions must be assessed on their individual merits (something you seem unwilling to do).  We cannot say all traditions are good and should be kept, and we cannot say that all traditions are bad and should be done away with.  This was precisely the point of my allusion to the cavalry tradition.  If it were kept solely for being a tradition, instead of evaluated against the ineffectiveness of horses against machine guns, artillery, and massed rifle fire, then we might still have been dying on horses instead of fighting in armoured vehicles.

You also fail to acknowledge that many traditions that were religious in origin are no longer religious.

George Wallace said:
Let's see......Have you or do you ever plan on celebrating Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, Lent?  Have you ever celebrated Mardi Gras, Fauschin, Carnival, Halloween?  Do you celebrate or believe in St Patrick, St Barbera, St Michel, or any Patron Saint?  Have you set up a Christmas tree?  Have you celebrated Strove Tuesday, Ash Wednesday, or Dirty Thursday? Would you go to the Olympics?  If you have answered "Yes" to any of these, then you have proven yourself to be a hypocrite.  All of these have some Religious origin, not necessarily Christian. 
Yes, these have religious origins, but they can all be celebrated in a secular fashion.  Even Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving can be secular celebrations (and to many it would not make a difference if you renamed them as â Å“the great winter celebration of Friends and Familyâ ?, â Å“The Spring Celebration of Familyâ ?, and â Å“The Fall Celebration of Familyâ ?).  I realize this may be anathema to anyone of Christian faith, but Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny have been elevated above their holidays' religious roots in modern pop culture. 

. . . but, if it makes you feel better, I have volunteered for duty the past two Christmas holidays.

George Wallace said:
Unfortunately, no matter how much you want to deny it, there are Religious undertones to most of our lives. Many of our military traditions are religious in origin, some predate Christianity.  . . .

Deny your wife or girlfriend a small gift, flowers, or a dinner out on the fourteenth and see how much religion plays a part in your life. You are free to go through life and deny its' existence, but it will always be there, whether you like it or not. St Valentine's Day, although arising more out of a Pagan religion, is still a religious event.
Again, religious origin does not mean that a practice is still religious.

George Wallace said:
... I feel that some respect and courtesy towards the beliefs of your comrades is a lot better than the sham that this Officer pulled off. ... Although he did try to get out of the ceremony, I feel he showed bad taste in his actions. I do agree that his superior, who knew of his beliefs, showed poor leadership qualities in not exempting him and is also "guilty". I am really peeved at the PC way that this incident played out, and feel the whole thing was wrong--both parties are guilty.
Agreed.  However, what is the long term solution?  I do not think that having an opt-out for parades is the way to go.  The alternative is for the military to stop introducing religion into ceremony. 

George Wallace said:
So we have no need for Tradition or Heritage? Did we not form up in three ranks 10, 50 100, 150 years ago? I suppose you suggest we just form up in a gaggle now? No need to follow tradition when it comes to drill. No need to salute senior officers. No need to pay any form of courtesy to a superior? While we are at it, why not throw out all our tactics, they haven't changed much over the last hundred years?
Once again, you highlight your inability to view specific arguments against a specific tradition.  To you they are all equal and unassailable.  We still form into ranks and do drill because it teaches discipline and reflective obedience to lawful command.  We still salute because it reinforces the importance of the chain of command.  We do not ride into battle on horses because we would be ineffective and die.  We do not fight in three ranks because we would be ineffective and die.  Note that I did not have to refer to anything as â Å“traditionâ ? to justify or dispute its practice.  Each tradition must be considered on its own merits.

muskrat89 said:
I guess, to understand "our" point of view - we see the erosions of traditions as the beginning of the erosion of military values, principles, etc - whether they are "religious traditions" or otherwise. The argument has been made about many impractical, old traditions falling by the wayside, and I agree. The continuance of a tradition should be evaluated on practicality and value to the soldiers and/or Unit - not the Human Rights Commission.
Agreed, but when the CoC is not evaluating those traditions on merit, what other course is open to a soldier?  Perhaps, If our Lt(N) had chosen to redress instead he would have found more sympathy from the rest of us.

I really don't know what your fixation with Cavalry Traditions and us going into battle with Horses is.  We have maintained our Cavalry Traditions, our Cavalry "TACTICS", etc and like other trades we have progressed from the Horse and become mechanized......what is your point?

GW

Back