• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

FSTO is lucky if he truly never got seasick. I think everybody gets seasick at some point, but most of the true seagoing personnel only get seasick occasionally and, as NS said, the Brown Bottle syndrome has something to do with it.

As for me, a couple of pretty bad storms did me in, and, if I've been away from the sea for a while, I take Gravol for the first few days just in case because, as Underway points out, when we get into more senior positions, why take the risk of waiting to adapt if medication can get you over the "hump", so to speak.

I generally only got tired and had a headache. If I had a nap, I was good to go.

However, the older I got, the more sensitive to motion I became. I recall once on PRO coming back to ESQ from San Diego where we were very light and the ship was pitching- alot. The forward house (where the wardroom was) was a freight elevator to hell. I skipped breakfast/lunch/dinner that day and hung out in my rack- that was a bad day. The deck was Waaayyyyy out of limits (2 pitch, 4 roll were the limits: we were pitching through 15 with the occasional 20 that day), so we were not flying and I was not missing anything. Probably 10 years earlier, I would have shook that off.

Walking aft through the dispersal area to the hangar, you could feel the exact point when you hit the centre of moment for the ship. Everything was chaos in both directions- dead calm where you stood.

FSTO is lucky if he truly never got seasick. I think everybody gets seasick at some point, but most of the true seagoing personnel only get seasick occasionally and, as NS said, the Brown Bottle syndrome has something to do with it.

As for me, a couple of pretty bad storms did me in, and, if I've been away from the sea for a while, I take Gravol for the first few days just in case because, as Underway points out, when we get into more senior positions, why take the risk of waiting to adapt if medication can get you over the "hump", so to speak.
My first ride in Preserver after sailing for years on the steamers was a cause of a bit of nausea until I got used to the unfamiliar pitch and roll. Born and raised Prairie lad, no idea how I won that lottery.

While I wouldn’t expect all 12 boats to come on line at the same time. Once we have them all, where do we get the approx 2000 sailors to man them?

It would be nowhere close to that many sailors for 12 subs.

Figure 50 pers per crew. Even then, subs in refit would have far fewer crew members (1/3 of the fleet would always be in refit).

Figure 50 pers per crew. Even then, subs in refit would have far fewer crew members (1/3 of the fleet would always be in refit).
Sorry, I punched in 'How many crew on a SSN. It came back with 132. I timed that by 12 and rounded it to 2000.

I know zero about boats. I still wonder where the people would come from.

Tanks for the education. :salute:

While I wouldn’t expect all 12 boats to come on line at the same time. Once we have them all, where do we get the approx 2000 sailors to man them?
th

not 12 subs 12 crews? so 8 or 9 crews for 12 subs? Do we do that now presently with the Halifax? By volition or duress?

Begs the question would or should we trade 1 River for 4 subs? Not that I think we are going to get 12

Back