• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

I wonder if there is any advantages to outfitting some of the CFP's with the weapon systems destined for the CSC, so one gets the main gun even at the expense of something else, another gets updated VLS's and missile system and perhaps components of the sensor system? All them get the same RWS's and those are also mounted on the AOP's, JSS as they go through refits, the AOP's guns can either be sold, stored or fitted on the MCDV's . But better to give them the same RWS so their commonalty in the fleet and buy simulators and training guns as well.
CPF’s flat out cannot take many, if any of the systems planned for the CSC. The hulls are old and work alongside having limited space/weight margins for any kind of meaningful upgunning or upgrades at this point.

CPF’s flat out cannot take many, if any of the systems planned for the CSC. The hulls are old and work alongside having limited space/weight margins for any kind of meaningful upgunning or upgrades at this point.
Thanks, I was thinking as a testbed or training ship, not perhaps as a operational ship.

Moreover, the River class systems (weapons and sensors) have not been acquired yet, so don't exist.

However, while the hulls, propulsion and hotel services of the CPF's are quite worn out (and slowly dying), further to the FELEX program, their combat systems, sensors and weapons systems are quite good and ready to keep going for quite a while.

So, we get back to a solution I proposed some time ago: Find a modern hull, power plant and hotel service that is more modern, in the 4,000 t0 6,000 range, build them "as is" and move the weapons, sensors and combat systems - including the Ops consoles - to it.

I get back to the British type 31: Get the hull, power plant/hotel services and move the Sea Giraffe, SMART-S, sonars, electronic warfare, comms suite and ops console with CSS-330 into them with the weapons system (though, for the missiles, I would put in a short length VLS system) and you have your stop gap ship that can be built and hit the water in three to four years from now, with another one every year thereafter. Just have them built by a combination of Hedley and Davie (which is more than big enough to host both these and their Coast Guard icebreakers).

Back