• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010newbie said:
I was accepted ROTP for Pilot and I did not mention RMC anywhere in my application nor my essay. I only listed three civilian universities as my program choices.

Thank you, I think thats what I'm going to do then. I took your guys's advice and went down to the recruiting centre where I found out only 20 pilots are being hired this year. 2010 newbie may I ask what program you applied for at university? Did you list any other trades as your 2nd and 3rd choice? I am still going to try to get into pilot but I'm going to do some research to see what other trades might interest me.

kincanucks said:
.  Also if a member is injured while performing that other job they would financially responsible for their medical expenses and if that injury prevents them from performing their duties as a CF member then there would be further repercussions.

How can the member be financially responsible for medial expenses if they are not allowed to use the provincial healthcare system (which they would be able to use if they weren't in the service and got injured at work)?  I tough free healthcare was one of the basic rights in Canada?

Silentstriker01 said:
Note: In no way am I slandering the reputation of RMC I have just decided based on my research that I prefer civilian universities lifestyle choices. That doesn't mean I wouldn't go to RMC if they offered it to me I would just rather do civi u.

Thanks in advance

If that's your attitude, what makes you think that you will be able to handle the CF lifestyle?  Just because you go to a civilian university doesn't mean the CF rules don't apply to you.

nairna said:
This is where I get confused as well. I'm already in my second year, my program is not offered at RMC and I'm told I don't have a prerequisite for RMC, but I can still apply? There wasn't any solid information provided to me other than what sounded to me like gueses and run arounds. I'm quite confused, and slightly frustrated on the matter because if my application is less competitive because I took U data management instead of U functions for a degree in international studies which only math courses in the course calendar is data management courses anyway would to me seem incorrect on the CFs part and highly inadequate as an application structure in terms of current and relative data.

Does anyone have any information that could help clear this up?
If you're already enrolled in and have completed part of an acceptable degree program, then there is a good chance you will be allowed to continue at the school where you started.  However, I recommend you include an English course in your future studies.  Everything after your first sentence above is gibberish.  If you aspire to be an officer, you need to be able to communicate effectively.

Pusser said:
If that's your attitude, what makes you think that you will be able to handle the CF lifestyle?  Just because you go to a civilian university doesn't mean the CF rules don't apply to you.

I don't have any problem with the discipline, and as I said before, I would definitely go to RMC if offered. I have always been fascinated with the military from a very young age and always wanted a job that's more than your average 9 to 5. A job where I could fell like I've accomplished something worthwhile, and helped other people. I would rather go to Civilian University so in addition to experiencing military training during the summer I could get a feel for how the civilian world functions. I also feel I would learn more self-discipline and responsibility as I would have to organize my own time. Besides that the only other difference between the two institutions that I know of are the opportunities for fun. At RMC you get the privilege of experiencing things like rappelling, cool obstacle courses, and the rewards of a disciplined, teamwork oriented, and physically demanding environment. At civi U it's parties and women, not saying this does not exist at RMC I feel its more common at Civi u.

Both places get you to the same place so why not choose which one you would prefer?

Pusser: It actually does make sense. It's a complicated situation to which I am confused by what the CFRC is telling me. The math I have, U data management, is apparently not acceptable for ROTP, yet I am in university for a program that required a grade 12 U math. So why should my application be less competitive? Did this help clear things up? Perhaps I was writing with to much emphasis on course selection "lingo". My apologies, I do not need an English class thank you.

Silentstriker: I think that is a perfectly legitimate reason for wanting to attend a civilian university. As you said, and something I have never considered before, is that if you attend civi u, under ROTP, you get a taste of both worlds; a "broader" education if you will. Although, in my own opinion, even though RMC is not a civilian school, there is no education more broad than the one obtained at RMC, even if you do miss out on the civi uni end of things.

Nairna, your last post by no means made sense. The situation that you are in is much clearer now with a more careful explanation. So what you are trying to say is that you are in a program at your university that required Math 12? In other words, you have Math 12, and a higher level math?

Silentstriker01 said:
At civi U it's parties and women, not saying this does not exist at RMC I feel its more common at Civi u.

There's plenty of this at RMC... well maybe not the male/female ratio aspect of civi u but having St-Lawrence College and Queens nearby helps a lot.  :nod:

nairna said:
Pusser: It actually does make sense. It's a complicated situation to which I am confused by what the CFRC is telling me. The math I have, U data management, is apparently not acceptable for ROTP, yet I am in university for a program that required a grade 12 U math. So why should my application be less competitive? Did this help clear things up? Perhaps I was writing with to much emphasis on course selection "lingo". My apologies, I do not need an English class thank you.

No, your original post does not make sense and several others have also pointed this out.  I will give you some advice for the future:  when you somebody tells you that something doesn't make sense, simply saying that it does make sense, does not actually explain anything .  You certainly don't want to try that stunt with your superiors.  If you wish to be an officer, you must be able to communicate effectively, clearly and succinctly.  Do not use jargon that your audience does not understand.  Perhaps you don't need an English course, but a course in expository writing would do you well.

In answer to your actual question, if the CFRC is telling you that your degree program is not acceptable, then it's not acceptable and you won't be accepted into the program unless you change something.  Arguing with the CFRC is pointless.  Considering that the CF has far more applicants than we have spaces, no one is going to bother analyzing your program to see if actually meets the requirements.  If it's not on the "list," they simply reject the application and move on to the hundreds of others that are.  Although we normally say that any degree is acceptable for some occupations, there may be caveats.  For example, when I went through, any degree was acceptable for MARS, provided you had first year math and physics.  So I took first year math and physics as electives, even though I didn't need them for my degree.

SupersonicMax said:
How can the member be financially responsible for medial expenses if they are not allowed to use the provincial healthcare system (which they would be able to use if they weren't in the service and got injured at work)?  I tough free healthcare was one of the basic rights in Canada?

Well it has been a few years since I posted this, and you have now have come to that realization (you are an astute young man), the answer would be that the member would have to pay out of his/her pocket, as in cash.  When you find that completely "free healthcare" please let me know.  Cheers.

Silentstriker01 said:
2010 newbie may I ask what program you applied for at university? Did you list any other trades as your 2nd and 3rd choice? I am still going to try to get into pilot but I'm going to do some research to see what other trades might interest me.

I'm taking Commerce and I did not put any other trades down except for Pilot.

nairna said:

I had 12U Data management and I got in University and ROTP...  Should not be an issue unless your degree requires a specific pre req

LMAO! Thank you Rogo, that is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. That is quite a relief. I am pretty sure the MCC that was helping me was new as he didn't seem confident in much of the information I was receiving. This is good news though, I was getting quite concerned over this issue, it didn't make sense to me.

Thanks Rogo

Hey i'm applying to ROTP soon, and i hope to attend RMC, if i don't make it in hopefully i'll i get into Civy U Rotp.

Now the CF says you need to go to a accredited University in order to Qualify for ROTP.

Would anyone be able to give me a list of these schools located  in Ontario? I need to know for when I apply in November..

Thanks in Advance

runormal you can't go wrong with any of the major ones: U of Ottawa, Queen's, Carleton, Mcmaster, Waterloo, University of Western Ontario, U of T, Ryerson, and Guelph. I'm sure there are many more but that list presents quite a few options already! There is no definitive list that I could find online.

nairna said:
LMAO! Thank you Rogo, that is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. That is quite a relief. I am pretty sure the MCC that was helping me was new as he didn't seem confident in much of the information I was receiving. This is good news though, I was getting quite concerned over this issue, it didn't make sense to me.

Thanks Rogo
you are quite welcome

Runormal: I believe any University is fine, as long as you are...

1) in a degree program that leads to a Bachelor degree.

AND

2) in a degree program that is acceptable for your trade.

If you meet both of those requirements, I don't see why it would be turned down.

runormal: You do not need to be already attending a university in order to qualify for civy u ROTP, but you do need to be accepted at one. By the way you were writing your question I wasn't certain if you understood that distinction. In other words, if you want to be in ROTP right out of high school, apply in september of your grade 12 year, not in september of your first year in a program at an accredited university.

And any university in Ontario will do, as long as it has the program you wish to attend. Below is a link for a list of universities in Canada by province.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back