• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Saluting Foreign Officers

Status
Not open for further replies.
my72jeep said:
I was working full time at the Borden Cadet Training Center when we started teaching the former Com block officers at the Language school. now those were trying times. For a bit I was having Serb generals saluting my newly donned Captains.

Borden is indeed interesting for this. While I was posted there, they combined our WO & Sgts Mess Dining facilities into the Officer's Mess. Those foreign officers were constantly saluting me outside the Mess on the assumption that I must outrank them; I'd try to explain that it was supposed to be I who initiated such (but rarely got the chance to as they'd salute me 20 feet before I got to them ... and we Canucks, when on the move, initiate such just prior to crossing paths). They were indeed baffled and confused; some were horrified that non-officers would actually share their galley too. Cadpat didn't help.

I felt bad for them - especially at -30 in a blizzard, something also foreign to most of them.  :-X

SupersonicMax said:
For real!?

+1

I have never judged a member of a foreign country, or it's military for that matter, based solely upon their ability to put up a high five.

For the OP,

Nuances and one offs aside, I think it's agreed, that yes, we salute foreign officers.

When my students fail to pay compliments to any officer I ensure they see the error of their ways in short order. It is about showing respect, troops shouldn't require it in writing.

ArmyVern said:
I'm just glad I'm not in China where they'd make me wear a mini-skirted uniform and knee high boots that do NOT have heels.  :mad:

What are you worried about - you're still taller than the average male Chinese soldier, much less the female ones...ergo lots of leg to show off.  Win/Win for us.

MM

Towards_the_gap said:
+1

I have never judged a member of a foreign country, or it's military for that matter, based solely upon their ability to put up a high five.

I wouldn't think that "solely their ability" etc would be anybody's criteria. Just the same, it does speak to one's professionalism and adds to the whole picture.

It's awkward repaying a compliment when the gate guard salutes you.  For the first 4 months I would just nod and say "have a good day".  Now I am USAF indoctrinated enough to return the salute, while seated and not wearing a head-dress (GASP!).

I've also had a US Army member salute me while wearing his PT gear - I was in uniform.  They consider their t-shirts and sweat pants to be "in uniform".

Thucydides said:
Read and become familiar with this chart: https://www.natoschool.nato.int/new_www/multimedia/army_rank.pdf

Been there, done that, even saw them in real life.

Throwing out a chart of NATO equivalencies doesn't even come close to answering the question...  Especially since the chart doesn't even show the US Warrant Officer ranks...

Thanks for coming out though.

JSR OP said:

Throwing out a chart of NATO equivalencies doesn't even come close to answering the question...  Especially since the chart doesn't even show the US Warrant Officer ranks...

The question was, "do we salute foreign officers?" The answer, as given in official CF reference, is an unequivocal, "yes".

We salute the commission (not the rank) and, as shown, US WOs do indeed fall into that 'commissioned' category. It's a no-brainer.

JSR OP said:

At least Thucydides attempted to help, as opposed to your useless jibe that provided absolutely nothing.

Milnet.ca Staff

Towards_the_gap said:
As gap said, if it moves salute it, if in doubt salute it, if really in doubt turn around, cross the street, walk into a lamppost or otherwise avoid saluting it, or at last resort, throw up a salute and watch for a reaction from the salutee - if you see the spark of anger quickly turn the salute into a weird scratching of your right eyebrow and say 'good morning'.

Bob is your fathers brother.

As a young Cpl many t-shirts ago, I ran into a German and I had no idea what rank he was, so I fired a salute and he smiled and returned it, next came a Brit, this guy had a crown so I say "good day Warrant", smiled and politely said he was a major, fired a salute.
Then came this guy in a camo pattern that I have never seen in my life but he too had a crown, "good day Major" well a blast of Australian flew my way at mach speed and he informed me he was a Warrant.

All that walking to the mess for lunch.

I was looking about in the ship's log, and it states (for Foreign officer salutes) that:

Foreign officers in uniform will be saluted, regardless of rank. Also, known foreign officers out of uniform will be saluted. They are to be treated like our own regarding headdress rules, except for the 'regardless of rank' part.

I'm pretty sure, that if people would read the whole thread, they'd find we've settled this already.

Foreign Officers get saluted.

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back