• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SAR Tech

I flew FWSAR for 4.5 years - now I am instructing at the Multi-Engine school in Manitoba.  Next I could move on to C-17, Challenger, Herc, whatever....

CDN Aviator said:
Pilots move around like anyone else in the CF. You could spend a few years flying CC-115s and then be moved to something else.

Good enough ?

That's perfect, thank you.

As a SAR pilot you go wherever the CF need you. Usually you are posted to a SAR unit then get your rating on type. After that, you do your SAR conversion and off you go on the flying schedule. The trend is that, if they need a pilot of a certain aircraft type, they can go get somes people in the SAR community to supply the ''tactical'' side of operations. It's quite easier and faster to teach tactical stuff because the guy know already his aircraft so you just have to focus on the tactics. You can be SAR flying something and the next day you are ''flying'' a UAV...  If you have any questions on the griffon side feel free to ask  ;)

Does anyone here know when the 2009 SAR Tech selection board sits? Thanks

pipstah said:
As a SAR pilot you go wherever the CF need you. Usually you are posted to a SAR unit then get your rating on type. After that, you do your SAR conversion and off you go on the flying schedule. The trend is that, if they need a pilot of a certain aircraft type, they can go get somes people in the SAR community to supply the ''tactical'' side of operations. It's quite easier and faster to teach tactical stuff because the guy know already his aircraft so you just have to focus on the tactics. You can be SAR flying something and the next day you are ''flying'' a UAV...  If you have any questions on the griffon side feel free to ask  ;)

Hmmm...not sure about that.  Having flown three different helicopters operationally, I would counter that position.  IMO, flying a different airframe wa much less work than properly re-training to a new employment role, and all the work associtated with learning a new craft.

My 2 ¢

G2G

Jc066 said:
Does anyone here know when the 2009 SAR Tech selection board sits? Thanks
It will be in the fall- end october? for the 2010 course. Why? You should not be timing your application, it can take quite a while to get thru the hoops. It is a continuing occupational transfer, meaning it is always taking files. ( please if you are an admin guru who is reading this, and know the exact progam name is something besides COTP, resist the urge to correct me. The intent is to inform this potential applicant of the process, not the terminology)

kj_gully said:
It is a continuing occupational transfer, meaning it is always taking files.

Actually Gully, it is formally called...... :)

Gully,

Thanks for the info, and no, it is not affecting my application. I asked only of for my own info.

JC

http://www.forces.ca/html/index.aspx?lang=en&sm1=0&sm2=3&sm3=0&sid=241&news=1&option=546#546

;D

The competition is only going to get stiffer.

Hi!

My name is Shannon and I am an EMT-A working in Alberta.  I have only recently found out about civi recruitment into the prestigious SARTECH trade and want to take the necessary steps to attempt entry into this field.  I have only read a few articles (and watched the posted video) and I am uncertain about the civi procedure.  I have heard that one only requires an EMT-A level of training to apply and will be trained to the EMT-P level if the candidate is successful in all other tests.  Is this the case or will I be responsible for my EMT-P (ACP) certification before I can start the process of SARTECH recruitment?  Also, where do I begin?  Should I first speak with a Canadian Forces recruiter or is there another path I should follow?

I really appreciate any guidance you guys can provide!

For anyone in the Edmonton area interested, there will be a briefing at the base theater on Monday, February 2 from 8-12. Staff from Canadian Forces school of search and Rescue will be there to answer questions in regards to joining the CF. For civilians interested in attending the brief, contact the base for security arrangements, if any.

Thanks for the info!  Do you know if there will be an alternate session similar to this one; I have to work on Feb 2 and thus, won't be able to attend.

It's not a free for all, there are certain minimum requirements.

SAR Tech recruiting page
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
To be selected for SAR TECH training, the applicant must possess a Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) Certificate from one of the following provincial programmes: B.C. (PCP), Alb. (EMT-P), Sask. (PCP), Ont. (PCP), N.S. (PCP), P.E.I. SAR TECH applicants must meet all entry requirements for Canadian Forces (CF) Non-Commissioned Members. SAR TECH training is academically and physically demanding; therefore, academic strengths in Biology, Chemistry and Physics would be assets to training. All applicants will have to pass the SAR TECH Applicant Physical Fitness Test, which includes:
# 1.5 Mile (2400 metre) run in 10:15 or less
# 31 consecutive push-ups
# 33 consecutive sit-ups
# 8 consecutive chin-ups
# 450 metre shuttle run

Candidates must complete all portions of this test in 16 minutes or less; they must also complete a 675 metre continuous swim in 20 minutes or less. In addition, when successful candidates arrive for the SAR TECH Preliminary Assessment Phase, they will climb a six metre rope, two consecutive times.

Okay, I have looked and unless im an idiot (do not think I am) I cannot find these questions in search.

Okay a bit of background aout me, I am 19 years old. I left high school early to go firefighting (which was stupid I know) and had alot of fun doing it. Later on my father became ill and i was forced to move to vancouver island  for better health care. I have wanted to join the forces as a SAR tech for a while and im finally doing something about it. One problem is my education, currently and regretably I hold a grade 10 lvl education, and realise this is not anywhere near the requirement for SAR tech. However I have practiced lvl 3 and EMR since firefighting and im now a Construction safety officer for a construction management company in victoria, I have a well paying job for my age.

Anyway my question is, I know I cant direct entry as a SAR tech. So my plans were to join as another trade. I was thinking Bos'n, Naval communicator, or whatever trade would consider me most fit to CT into SAR tech. While doing whichever trade I plan on advancing my education to the point where i can be considered. I am willing to spend my life as a SAR tech and I know it will take a long time for me to get there.

So what im asking is, Does it matter what trade you enter originally, to get CT to your desirable trade... For instance if I enroll as a Nav Comm are my chances of being accepted to SAR tech later lower then if I was to enroll as infantry or Bos'n. And if so which trade would have the best chance of getting a CT to SAR tech.

Yes I am aware of requirements, I been boxing since I was young and I am in very good shape. I can lift twice my bodyweight and run like hell.

Any information you can help me with would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Why not make a list of everything that a SAR Tech does (gained through research on the recruiting site) and what each trade you are thinking about. The obvious answer would be the one that more closely matches SAR Tech is probably the one you would want to do. For Example:
Jump Out of Planes- SAR TECH-yes    NAV COMM-not likely  Infantry- more likely

I was just wondering if they took that into consideration at all. As they completly retrain you. Also, bos'n perform search and rescue duties, and diving. I wonder what my chances would be as that. And how long does CTing into a trade like this take approximatly... 5 years given the low recruiting level for this position <----Cannot enter question mark, keyboard is messed up.

From the website:
"To be selected for SAR TECH training, the applicant must possess a Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) Certificate from one of the following provincial programmes: B.C. (PCP), Alb. (EMT-P), Sask. (PCP), Ont. (PCP), N.S. (PCP), P.E.I."

Yes i am aware of that, however after I join could I not advance my training in first aid, then ct over...

Back