• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sea Service Insignia (SSI) [Merged]

daftandbarmy said:
God will not look you over for medals degrees or diplomas, but for scars.
Elbert Hubbard

:goodpost:

Tcm621 said:
How would one find out which Badge they qualify for?
Start here:  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/95432.0.html

Heard rumbles today that the Gunmetal SSI badge might be dropped to 180 days....will followup when I hear more than rumours!

NS

Too many MARS IV are reminded they don't have enough sea time.  :nod:

NavyShooter said:
Heard rumbles today that the Gunmetal SSI badge might be dropped to 180 days....will followup when I hear more than rumours!

NS

Interesting I would like to know the reasoning.  While the SSIs necessity could be, and has been, argued lowering the bar just makes it more worthless IMHO.

Halifax Tar said:
Interesting I would like to know the reasoning.  While the SSIs necessity could be, and has been, argued lowering the bar just makes it more worthless IMHO.

Its not a rumour, its happening soon. Don't know the reasoning, you're guess is as good as mine. When the SSI came out, not enough people qualified for the gold, so they dropped it a year. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Chief Stoker said:
Its not a rumour, its happening soon. Don't know the reasoning, you're guess is as good as mine. When the SSI came out, not enough people qualified for the gold, so they dropped it a year. Nothing surprises me anymore.
I've heard some talk to the effect that the RCN would like to see more folks from outside the institution wearing it - like flight crew and medics and augmentees who may just deploy for a single six-month mission at sea once in their career. Seems the entry-level threshold for most gongs is six months in theatre, so it doesn't seem completely unreasonable (granted that the whole thing is rather silly, IMHO).

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere but I can't find it - how would one go about getting the admin for it?  I was just shy of the original SSI requirements.

It was explained recently at a Command brief in Halifax that it is so newer folks can get something on their uniform early in their career although the 'outside the institution' reasoning could be a secondary. And yes, the number was 180 and no, it had nothing specifically to do with MARS Officers.
To get info, go to the NSHQ page in DIN and look under DNP (?) (the former DGNP) and follow to DNav P&T (the former DNavPers). There is a link for SSI although the contact name(s) may be dated. If I make it into work today (Still have 6 feet of snow outside my garage door), I will put the link on here.

Pat

One of the problems with the SSI is that it can be devisive if not handled carefully.  On the one hand, I see differentiating those people who actually go to sea from those who don't (but who still wear a naval uniform) as a good thing.  In this case we are separating "real" sailors from those who chose a naval uniform simply because it matches their eyes best.  On the other hand, the current situation in the Navy with regard to the number of platforms, posting cycles and career progression, sees a lot of people who actually do go to sea, never achieving enough days to qualify under the 365-day rule.  The best examples of these are Naval Logisitics and Naval Technical Officers.  Keep in mind that these officers DO go to sea and with the amount of responsibility they hold as sea-going Heads of Departments in HMC Ships, it is difficult to argue that they are not "real" sailors.  They deserve recognition as such.

Remember also that 180 sea days is not achieved from a six-month deployment.  It will still take a few years posted to ships in order to achieve this.  I don't see lowering the initial threshold as a bad thing.  This amount should be sufficient to recognize the LogOs and NTOs who truly do deserve it.

PS:  For those who are curious, the lowered threshold makes absolutely no difference to my situation as I have more than enough sea days to qualify.

Heres a question.  Did our Orca time (for those who were PCTU or otherwise MARS trainees) contribute to our SSIs at all?

ADIDAS said:
Heres a question.  Did our Orca time (for those who were PCTU or otherwise MARS trainees) contribute to our SSIs at all?

Yes - it's in the Sea Day Metrics along with a whole whack of other instances under NOTC VENTURE.

Back