• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sea Service Insignia (SSI) [Merged]

Just to clarify a tad-Not my intent to start a pissing contest-I meant hard sea trades as well as Naval Officers. Someone said you would note early on in a conversation whether someone is 'seasoned' and you are indeed correct. I see a MS with a gold SSI and I immediately have a little 'extra' respect before that conversation commences. It works both ways of course. For some of the young guys/gals, when they are bumped up to the next level, it's a pride thing. I have no problem with that.

Pat

Pat in Halifax said:
Just to clarify a tad-Not my intent to start a pissing contest-I meant hard sea trades as well as Naval Officers. Someone said you would note early on in a conversation whether someone is 'seasoned' and you are indeed correct. I see a MS with a gold SSI and I immediately have a little 'extra' respect before that conversation commences. It works both ways of course. For some of the young guys/gals, when they are bumped up to the next level, it's a pride thing. I have no problem with that.

Pat

So it's just the Navy's way of preventing a dick sea time measuring contest.

Pat in Halifax said:
Someone said you would note early on in a conversation whether someone is 'seasoned' and you are indeed correct. I see a MS with a gold SSI and I immediately have a little 'extra' respect before that conversation commences.

What happens when you run into a MCpl in an Air Force uniform wearing a silver SSI?  ;)

(Aside from wondering "Who'd he piss off?", that is...)

cupper said:
So it's just the Navy's way of preventing a dick sea time measuring contest.

No it was an iniative the RCN put forward recognize the amount of time sea going CF pers can spend underway.

If "decorations" are penis measuring contests perhaps nothing should be on our uniforms other thank rank badges.

Occam said:
What happens when you run into a MCpl in an Air Force uniform wearing a silver SSI?  ;)

(Aside from wondering "Who'd he piss off?", that is...)

I would say they are maritime air crew and offer a rum drink!  ;)

Halifax Tar said:
I would say they are maritime air crew and offer a rum drink!  ;)

...or ex-Navy types enjoying greener pastures, but not necessarily air crew.  :nod:

Occam said:
...or ex-Navy types enjoying greener pastures, but not necessarily air crew.  :nod:

"Bluer" pastures.  But I'll still take the rum drink  ;)

Halifax Tar said:
No it was an iniative the RCN put forward recognize the amount of time sea going CF pers can spend underway.

Why do you need a badge for that? I think the RCN uniform should be enough to indicate that they have spent some time at sea.

PuckChaser said:
Why do you need a badge for that? I think the RCN uniform should be enough to indicate that they have spent some time at sea.

Why do some people wearing a green uniform desire a CAB or CIB or aome kind of denoter on their GCS-SWA?

We have somewhat become a military where we no longer look at the group effort, but at the individual experience . I spent my tour in KAF. Did it suck? Yes. Did it suck as much as doing dismounted patrols in Panjwaii? Not a chance. Did my being their contribute to mission success? I'd like to think so....however minute it was.

There is always someone out their trying to pat their ego. Its when they get into a position where they can institutionalize that pat for everyone else and make an effort divisive that it becomes a problem.

It's simply one more thing -- SSI badges, adding "Royal" to prefixes, 1812 pin, renaming Areas to "Divisions," discussing pip/crown rank badges -- simply massive amounts of staff work being pissed away, with the sole effect (for both supporters and those bitching -- the result is the same) of distracting people from the budget cuts, the abysmal state of equipment acquisition, and the reality that we have more General/Flag Officers (and requisite bag men staff) than a military of our size remotely warrants.

Nero fiddling.....Potemkin Village.....Titanic needing ice for the drinks carts......hell, insert whatever metaphor works for you.

:ditto:      :goodpost:    and all that sort of thing.

Milpoints inbound for truth telling.

E.R. Campbell said:
:ditto:      :goodpost:    and all that sort of thing.

Milpoints inbound for truth telling.

Same here, Mil Points inbound .

PuckChaser said:

I don't agree or disagree buds just stating how I understood it came about. 

Journeyman said:
It's simply one more thing -- SSI badges, adding "Royal" to prefixes, 1812 pin, renaming Areas to "Divisions," discussing pip/crown rank badges -- simply massive amounts of staff work being pissed away, with the sole effect (for both supporters and those bitching -- the result is the same) of distracting people from the budget cuts, the abysmal state of equipment acquisition, and the reality that we have more General/Flag Officers (and requisite bag men staff) than a military of our size remotely warrants.

Nero fiddling.....Potemkin Village.....Titanic needing ice for the drinks carts......hell, insert whatever metaphor works for you.

Excellent point!  But do you really expect to see cuts to Generals/Flag Officers though ?  I don't.

Jim Seggie said:
Same here, Mil Points inbound .

Me too, well said.  Bread and circus for sure, when in trouble do as the Roman's did.

airmich said:
"Bluer" pastures.  But I'll still take the rum drink  ;)

Good thing the RCAF doesn't do things to denote time in the air, etc.... ;D

WEB2013-YB11E-01.jpg

Eye In The Sky said:
Good thing the RCAF doesn't do things to denote time in the air, etc.... ;D

WEB2013-YB11E-01.jpg

He is just a MSE Op in the air.  He just doesn't have to do a Safe Backing Crse.    >:D

Looking at the badge, I don't see that it necessarily refers to "time in the air".

It could be hours spent at the local bar, or time in hotels for overnight flights :).

Or maybe, since it says RCAF 10,000 hours, it could be the number of hours Air Command has been renamed RCAF: about a year and a half is about right for 10,000 hours ;).

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Looking at the badge, I don't see that it necessarily refers to "time in the air".

It could be hours spent at the local bar, or time in hotels for overnight flights :).

Or maybe, since it says RCAF 10,000 hours, it could be the number of hours Air Command has been renamed RCAF: about a year and a half is about right for 10,000 hours ;).

Still, as they say on the Comedy Channel, "Time Well Wasted"

God will not look you over for medals degrees or diplomas, but for scars.

Elbert Hubbard

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/medals.html#9OwO2KEGfslz618m.99

Back