• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Seamen busted

Competition between 1 CMBG, 2 CMBG and 5 GBMC has nothing on competition between MARLANT and MARPAC.

Jarnhamar said:
Why does the navy have a civilian fitness instructor on a warship?
Because the PERI trade was eliminated years ago.

Jarnhamar said:
Does a civilian bartender run the mess on the ship as well?
The Steward trade exists in the CAF to do this.

MCG said:
The Steward trade exists in the CAF to do this.

The bars on the ship (MS & Below and C&PO's, at least) are run by volunteers.  The stewards aren't involved.

No steward has ever made my rack.

Ever.

That is not their job. They have other work to do.

SeaKingTacco said:
No steward has ever made my rack.

Ever.

That is not their job. They have other work to do.

Interesting; that was an urban legend then I guess.  I heard more than a few stories about stewards being bed-makers and coffee fetchers.  Having never sailed before, I wouldn't have known the difference.

Stewards provide hospitality services within the Navy. However, stewards may also become a Flight Steward in the Air Force. Duties are varied and range from food and beverage services, to financial management and administration.

They may work alongside Cooks and some food preparation will comprise part of their duties. The primary responsibilities of the position are to:

Serve food and beverages on formal and informal occasions at sea and ashore as well as on board military aircraft, including VIP flights
Prepare light meals, snacks and hors-d’oeuvres on ships and aircraft
Operate military warehouses at sea and in deployed operations
Operate ship borne convenience stores
Maintain records, financial accounts and filing systems for activities relating to the use of public and non-public funds
Operate military clubs, including allocation and control of facilities, mess fund accounting, bar management and staff supervision
Manage military accommodations, including room allocation, reception, furnishings, key control, cleaning and maintenance
Provide non-public funds management on all ships

Humphrey Bogart said:
The problem with a drug such as cocaine, which it's been speculated was what they were arrested for, is that it leaves the body very quickly (72hrs) so it's almost impossible to catch people with drug testing.

Apparently that also accounts for the high use of crack by oil field workers as it leaves the system before they get back to camp. Pot apparently can linger on in the system for quite sometime.

NavalMoose said:
Funny, I could never find the 7-11 on any of the ships I sailed in ;D

No, but all the messes had bars and there was a canteen.  All of the warehousing, stock management, purchasing and accounting that supports the messes and canteen are performed by stewards.

Some of the above confusion can be attributed to an apparent lack of understanding that the steward's job has changed significantly in the last few years.  Stewards used to provide valet services to the officers in ships (even to the point of polishing there shoes).  However, that has all gone away.  Stewards no longer polish officers' shoes or make their beds, but they used to.

Oh I am not confused, merely trying to inject a little humour into this thread. I am well aware of what stewards used to do and do today, I spent 20 years in 2 Navies :)

I am currently deployed on HMCS Fredericton.  We have a PSP fitness guru on board for the entire sail and we had the same fitness support when I deployed on Toronto in 2007 for the entire deployment.

You have to consider that a ship is run in a series of shifts and or watches.  And to accommodate a fitness routine into a ships flex is quite a feat to say the least.

Our current fitness guru runs three classes daily, as well she provides nutritional and fitness advice and coaching if time permits.  She is also involved in setting up activities and trips for the ships coy while in port and general involved in the welfare of the crew as a whole.   

I personally think she does a great job and takes a huge load off of those us who are BFTA/AFTA qualified.  We also dont tend to have many BFTA/AFTA qualified persons on board as it is not a well known course in the RCN.  I didnt hear about it or complete until I was posted to CFJSR.

I like having the PSP guru and I hope we continue to draw on this resource.  And from the numbers I see at PT classes I think most of the crew would agree. 

The latest from the RCN Info-machine:
A Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) sailor who was convicted of the alleged use of a controlled substance in Japan has been released from custody and returned to Canada. The sailor had been in Japanese custody since early February and was subsequently released with a suspended sentence.‎ He returned March 25.

On February 1, 2016, three members of HMCS Winnipeg’s ship’s company were detained by Japanese authorities while the ship was conducting a port visit in Tokyo, Japan. These crew members, two military members and one civilian employee, were detained for the alleged use of a controlled substance. One of the military members was released without being charged by police, while the other two persons remained in custody and were charged with the use of a controlled substance by the Tokyo Police.

The civilian employee remains in custody while awaiting a judicial hearing. No further information can be released regarding this case at this time.

(...)

“The Royal Canadian Navy has been providing support to those detained since first learning of the incident this past February. We are looking into this case to determine if any further disciplinary measures are warranted. Drug use is not tolerated within our ranks, period. It is not only illegal, but it can also place lives at risk in our workplace. This message needs to be very clearly hoisted aboard, once and for all.”

-- Commander Jeff Hutchison, Commanding Officer, HMCS Winnipeg

recceguy said:
Sorry, thought the title meant 'slow swimmers'.  [:D
Then, I think the title would have been something like "Seamen sluggish"  ;D

During OP TOUCAN we had a group of entertainers from Quebec onboard PROTECTEUR. They were barely settled into their spaces when we could smell smoke coming coming from one of their cabins. You could imagine their surprise when one of the officers came bursting in with a fire extinguisher yelling "FIRE, FIRE, FIRE". Once everything calmed down we discovered that one of the young ladies (she was a dancer who we assumed they recruited from Club Super Sex) decided that the cabin stunk and she lit some incense to get rid of the smell! Some of us were quite indignant on the accusation that we had a uncomfortable body odor!!! I always wondered if she lit the incense to hide the smell of pot, LOL!

Anyway we were quite relieved when we landed the troupe ashore and waved our goodbyes. Although the ending of the morning stretching routine of the young dancers in the Wardroom was lamented by all.
I remember that. How about the Aussie SAS officer caught shagging her in the wardroom?

They only allow PSP on ships if they look like this:

420.gif
Isn’t that how the fish heads see the zoomies?

Back