• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Second Language Training ( SLT )

What about signing in and out on the weekend? You don't have to do that on SLT or there's somewhere else to do it?(not the green desk?)

nurse sarah said:
What about signing in and out on the weekend? You don't have to do that on SLT or there's somewhere else to do it?(not the green desk?)

Unless it's changed, you're an officer and you're on your own.

When I was there, we had no curfew and no supervision after working hours or on weekends.

Inch said:
When I was there, we had no curfew and no supervision after working hours or on weekends.

I don't know if it's a real change, but we are supposed to sign out if we're leaving the base on weekends. Just a simple binder where you enter your contact info (address, phone number) in case someone needs to get in touch with you.

bgc_fan said:
I don't know if it's a real change, but we are supposed to sign out if we're leaving the base on weekends. Just a simple binder where you enter your contact info (address, phone number) in case someone needs to get in touch with you.

I remember that book, I don't think I ever signed it. I don't recall it being enforced at all and besides that, what number would you give them? I didn't have a cell so they couldn't have gotten a hold of me if they wanted to.

Inch said:
I remember that book, I don't think I ever signed it. I don't recall it being enforced at all and besides that, what number would you give them? I didn't have a cell so they couldn't have gotten a hold of me if they wanted to.

I doubt it's being enforced, but as for number, well, I imagine some did what they did for BOTC and write in some hotel number if that's where they're going. Since I visit my family, well, that's the number I used. I doubt that anyone ever uses the binder to find where others are... sort of like being the duty student.  ;)

Don't develop a relationship with anyone who has spent time in Borden!

Especially 31 year old 5 foot blondes with short hair...  ;)

T

They expect you to sign the book, but its not really enforced.  If you sign a CF-100 you don't have to at all.

As for inspections, there aren't any formal ones.  The Sgt. Major or either the Sgt. or the WO may go up just to make sure you're not living like a pig.

Oh yeah and to those of you going into the Combat Arms, as well as Army Log, Army Sigs and MP, you'll be in Bravo Coy.  We do things during the week, rucksack marches and stuff.  So don't try to get out of it. ;)

Glad to see I am not the only one wondering what to expect and fearing "life like basic" for 4 months...

Another question, what uniform is worn while on slt?  Work dress, "nice guy suit" or combats?  Thanks.

Dylan

PS

Any other NCM's slated for the may to aug trip to learn francais?

shado_wolf said:
Glad to see I am not the only one wondering what to expect and fearing "life like basic" for 4 months...

Another question, what uniform is worn while on slt?   Work dress, "nice guy suit" or combats?   Thanks.

Dylan

PS

Any other NCM's slated for the may to aug trip to learn francais?

It was 3B's when I was there. DEU pants, short sleeve shirt and oxfords (or ankle boots for NCMs).

I'd suggest a few extra SS shirts. I had 5 of them, I ironed them all on Sunday afternoon and then didn't have to iron anything for the rest of the week. I was there for 9 months though so for a summer serial you may not care a whole lot.

shado_wolf said:
Another question, what uniform is worn while on slt?  Work dress, "nice guy suit" or combats?  Thanks.

Well, it's your choice of work dress/combats or DEUs. On Fridays, there's an optional civilian dress with a loonie donation to United Way, collected by the class senior.

bgc_fan said:
Well, it's your choice of work dress/combats or DEUs. On Fridays, there's an optional civilian dress with a loonie donation to United Way, collected by the class senior.

Serious?  Or are you just teasing me.  I really don't want to have to maintain ankle boots day and day out if not needed.  Would be great if I could wear combats.  Was it a group decision or individual?  I am sure you would want to maintain some kind of consistancy.

shado_wolf said:
Serious?  Or are you just teasing me.  I really don't want to have to maintain ankle boots day and day out if not needed.  Would be great if I could wear combats.  Was it a group decision or individual?  I am sure you would want to maintain some kind of consistancy.

I'm serious. On the first day we did wear DEUs, but we were told that dress of the day was work dress. For the majority that means combats. Makes it easier for Wednesday's ruck march as well. ;) The majority wears combats, but there are those who prefer DEUs. The only stipulation about civi Fridays is no jeans and decent shirts.

Then again, maybe things might be different for the next session.

Wow, I hope that holds true for the summer. I'd much rather wear combats than CFs.

I've heard they're going to keep it combats.  The Sgt. Major had to do a lot of work to get the approval so its probably not going to go away.

As for your ankle boots, well I go in CF's once a week, just to keep them in decent shape.  Makes sure I polish them once in a while.

bgc_fan said:

Wow, I see another aspect of Dress and Deportment has went down the crapper.  Pretty soon, we'll all bask in looking like grubby mechanics....

For the guys coming from RMC I wouldn't hold my breath and hope for work dress,  I am pretty sure that for all you guys you will still have to wear 3B's.  I know when I was there, a few years ago, all the DEO and ROTP candidates were able to wear work dress but we were still required to wear the 3B's......either way it is a whole lot more comfortable than the 5's and oxfords are about a 1min polish job......just my 2cents though

CANFORGEN 066/05 ADM(HR-MIL) 031 011818Z APR 05
CHANGES TO WEIGHTING OF CRITERIA - CF SELECTION BOARDS
UNCLASSIFIED

THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO PROVIDE ADVANCE NOTICE OF THE INTENT TO CHANGE THE WEIGHTING OF CRITERIA FOR CF SELECTION BOARDS. THESE BOARDS ARE CONVENED TO SELECT PERSONNEL FOR PROMOTIONS, CAREER COURSES (PD), EDUCATION UPGRADE, AND TERMS OF SERVICE (TOS). THE PROPOSED CHANGES WILL BE IMPLEMENTED COMMENCING WITH THE FALL 2006 SELECTION BOARDS FOR PROMOTION YEAR 2007. CHANGES WILL OCCUR IN TWO KEY AREAS: PERFORMANCE VERSUS POTENTIAL WEIGHTING AND WEIGHTING OF SECOND LANGUAGE SKILLS

CF PERSONNEL ARE MERIT LISTED AT SELECTION BOARDS BASED ON THEIR PERFORMANCE AND POTENTIAL. IN THE PAST, THESE TWO KEY AREAS HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED A WEIGHTING FACTOR OF 60 PERCENT FOR PERFORMANCE AND 40 PERCENT FOR POTENTIAL (INCLUDING 2 OR 5 POINTS ALLOCATED TO NCMS AND OFFRS RESPECTIVELY FOR SECOND LANGUAGE ABILITY).

THIS PRACTICE REMAINS APPROPRIATE FOR JUNIOR NCMS AND OFFRS HOWEVER, THE 60/40 WEIGHTING CRITERIA DO NOT RECOGNIZE THE INCREASED IMPORTANCE OF THE POTENTIAL FACTOR TO SELECT LEADERS FOR MORE SENIOR RESPONSIBILITIES. SENIOR OFFRS AND NCMS ARE EXPECTED TO HAVE ATTAINED HIGH LEVELS OF PROFESSIONAL SKILL AND EXPERTISE, AND MOST ARE PERFORMING AT THE EXCEEDED STANDARD TO MASTERED LEVELS. AS A RESULT, PERFORMANCE CRITERIA FOR MORE SENIOR RANK LEVELS IS NO LONGER SUFFICIENTLY DISCRIMINATING TO IDENTIFY THE MOST SUITABLE PERSONNEL FOR PROMOTION AND ADVANCED TRAINING, AND TO FILL SENIOR POSITIONS WITH OUR BEST LEADERS. CONSEQUENTLY, THE WEIGHTING CRITERIA FOR SENIOR RANK LEVELS (PROMOTION FROM SGT/PO2 TO WO/PO1 AND ABOVE AND FROM CAPT/LT(N) TO MAJ/LCDR AND ABOVE) WILL BE CHANGED TO REFLECT THE INCREASED IMPORTANCE OF POTENTIAL IN THE WEIGHTING CRITERIA. THE PRECISE WEIGHTING WILL BE COMMUNICATED AT A LATER DATE ONCE MODELLING HAS BEEN COMPLETED.

THE WEIGHTING OF SECOND LANGUAGE ABILITY AS A COMPONENT OF POTENTIAL WILL ALSO BE REVIEWED TO RECOGNIZE THE IMPORTANCE AND OBLIGATION TO DEVELOP A BILINGUAL SENIOR LEADER CORPS. IT IS ANTICIPATED THAT FOR JUNIOR RANK LEVELS, THE WEIGHTING FOR BILINGUALISM WILL REMAIN AT CURRENT (OR SLIGHTLY REDUCED) LEVELS, HOWEVER THE WEIGHTING WILL INCREASE FOR SENIOR RANK LEVELS. THE SCORING CRITERIA FOR BILINGUALISM WILL ALSO BE ANNOUNCED AT A LATER DATE. HOWEVER CF PERSONNEL, ESPECIALLY THOSE IN A SENIOR RANK LEVELS WHO HAVE NOT YET ATTAINED THE REQUISITE BILINGUALISM PROFICIENCY LEVEL, SHOULD SEIZE THE OPPORTUNITY NOW TO IMPROVE THEIR SECOND LANGUAGE ABILITY AS THE WEIGHTING CRITERIA FOR BILINGUALISM WILL BECOME INCREASINGLY IMPORTANT FOR 2006 SELECTION BOARDS.

ALL PERSONNEL SHOULD NOTE THAT NOTWITHSTANDING THE PROPOSED CHANGES, OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE WILL REMAIN ESSENTIAL FOR PROGRESSION IN THE CF. CONSEQUENTLY, THERE IS NO INTENT TO CHANGE THE PER FORM HOW PERS ARE WRITTEN, THE SCORING CRITERIA WITHIN SECTIONS 4 AND 5, THE REQUIREMENT FOR PROPERLY SUBSTANTIATED NARRATIVES TO SUPPORT THE PERFORMANCE AND POTENTIAL SCORES AWARDED.

CHANGES TO WEIGHTING CRITERIA FOR CF SELECTION BOARDS ARE NECESSARY TO DEVELOP OUR SENIOR LEADERS TO FILL INCREASINGLY DEMANDING POSITIONS. AMPLIFYING DETAILS WILL BE PROMULGATED BEFORE THE END OF FY 05/06

I realize Canada is a bilingual country but IMHO the need for all the CF to conform to the french language is unnecessary.All of the provinces are trying to ensure everything is in both official languages except Quebec.How is this fair?

Back