• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Secondary Education

william

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm planning to go to RMC and get a education and all the requirements to become an officer but i was just wondering if your secondary education effects your record all that much and if it will ultimately effect my becoming an officer in the CF?

I did a search and could not find anything directly related to question so I'm asking up front.

Well your academic performance affects your chances of being accepted if that is what you are referring to?

well not really what i meant was the reputation of the school, will it effect my chance if the school that i went to to get secondary education was rated the second to last in the province but I was still getting A's would it matter at all?

william said:
well not really what i meant was the reputation of the school, will it effect my chance if the school that i went to to get secondary education was rated the second to last in the province but I was still getting A's would it matter at all?

I'm not an authority on the subject, but I recently asked a similar question and received the answer that no, the school does not matter.

william said:

Why didn't you write that the first time?

No, where you go to high school does not affect your chances.

I think I was thinking of something else at the time that I wrote the first post then when i got the reply i redirected the question of the post. Sorry if there was some confusion there, but thanks for the replies guys. i I know what i what to do now! ;D

I was talking to my guidance councilor the other day about that. She told me that a university will look at your marks (of course) but will also put into account the academic level of your school. By this I mean that my school (small roman catholic) for instance is more challenging and requires more work then the local public high school. My guidance councillor said if i had a similar mark with another applicant but my high school was noted as more academically challenging, they would most likely pick me over the applicant mark wise. I thought that RMC would probably do the same. Hope this helps

The high school that I went to was not considered when I went to do my undergrad and the undergrad school was not considered when I went to do my grad.  From what I have heard, if they do not look solely at your average (universities), then they look at your average relative to the class average to determine your relative standing, regardless of the school you attended.  What Kincanucks has posted on this seems pretty clear to me.

She told me that a university will look at your marks (of course) but will also put into account the academic level of your school. By this I mean that my school (small roman catholic) for instance is more challenging and requires more work then the local public high school. My guidance councillor said if i had a similar mark with another applicant but my high school was noted as more academically challenging, they would most likely pick me over the applicant mark wise.
And you believed her? I highly doubt your small roman cathoic education would have any weight over someone who went through a public school.

Ohhhh...ok thats makes more sense now,thanks acclenticularis, thats helps a lot.

Pieman said:
And you believed her? I highly doubt your small roman cathoic education would have any weight over someone who went through a public school.

Hold the phone, I was just using my school and the other high school in my town as an example. I was saying the school I happen to go to has a higher accedemic demand then the other school in my town. Ask anyone in my town and they will agree with you. As to if they really look at it, thats what she told me.

Yea I had this question too. During my first year of College back in '97 I really messed up... (mental self sabotage), and managed to score lots of F-s and Withdrawls (aka Post Secondary school blew me away, and I goofed off, when I was demoralized), but I pulled up self up by the belt and went back in '03 and decided to score very very well, but.... not enough to get rid of all my old F's. I went into the recruiting center, and scored well in the funny shape test, the reading comprehension test (I know I know my grammar sucks), and the recruiter saw my new marks and said those were pretty good marks, and that I should reapply next year, after taking another math test. ( I failed the math test because I was running out of time and making lots of mistakes).

But still pretty impressive that I got A-s and B+s when I was a C and C- student. (I guess my brain finally clicked. Once I pay off my student and card debts, I'd like to upgrade my marks and start upgrading my health to proper non slacker levels, because I have experienced that I can achieve, and now i'm ambitious to try again). I want to try for the RMC (of course I won't get it..... the recruiter told me the cut off was like high 90's% over all average, which is understandable. But would I likely make it into the sister college at the Prep school? The Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu school. I am also 28 years old, am I too be a student at the RMC? Like now that I know I can do many things. I want to put myself to the test and see if I can recover from rock bottom to finish my schooling, and I know I can...... I learnt Debutant French, wrote an entire letter in French, and a journal entry in French. I just forgot all of it. Oh learning French is another plus of going to this school, because you have to learn it. Please say yes someone that I can go through this route. I am soo eager to active do in Canada. Like be a part of it's experience.

I want to go to RMC because, my family from China, have a history of serving in one form or another, the school will actually pay me to study (but I have to be in the C.F. for 5 years which is what I want to do). I want to have the experience of actually being a part of Canada like being part of the historic existance of Canada. I want to evolve into a Peace Keeper it's a rare experience that not many people do, I want to experience very very very rare things.

Anyways nice talking to you guys.

Back