• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Small Arms Training Simulator

ab00013

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm waiting for reserve BMQ to start in November, but earlier tonight we had a chance to try the small arms training simulator. In my opinion, I didn't do too well compared to others, which is kind of discouraging.   :( How realistic is the simulator? Should I worry? Anyone out there not do well on the simulator, but ended up doing well in the firearm training aspect of BMQ or SQ? Any stories would be encouraging.

Thanks!

You've yet to complete BMQ, so you shouldn't worry about doing poorly. I imagine that anyone doing this before they're trained wouldn't do as well compared to trained soldiers.

So, don't worry, and take it as a learning experience.

Im a qualified SAT operator and after my years in the military, the SAT is good experience in training the TOET's or basic weapon handling ,and reaffirming range procedures but thats pretty much where it ends.I must say the graphics have come a long way however you cant recreate actual wind, noise, light, temperature conditions that you would experience on a live range.You may meet people that have used weapons all their lives prior to joining the millitary but the fact is, you will be taught all the principles you will require and if you desire, you can even have a range staff member coach you.Dont sweat the small stuff!!!

I was just wondering where you get to use a small arms training simulator, is it something you do before going off to basic?

mwhite said:
I was just wondering where you get to use a small arms training simulator, is it something you do before going off to basic?

This is done at unit level.

The simulator is very good at catching the small stuff that affects marksmanship.  Of course, the quality of SAT operators also has a bearing.  But the system will pick up things such as holding your weapon on a cant, too much/too little butt pressure, squeeze of trigger and so on.  To teach basic marksmanship, its hard to beat the SAT.  It is also hard to beat when re-affirming skills prior to open range practice.  A soldier can be taught the basics of shooting much easier and cheaper on the SAT than on the open range.

Having said that, once the basics are taught, the soldier still has to shoot on the open range.  As was mentioned, there is far more to shooting skills than knowing how to hold a weapon and pull the trigger!

There was some movement towards using the SAT in place of annual PWT range practice.  IMHO a laser can never replace the actual smell and sights of a live range.  When instructing QL2's we used the SAT as a pre-cursor to the actual range process.  By qualifying them all to PWT-1 standards before the actual shoot, we drastically reduced the number of re-shoots on range day.  A great tool if used by qualified Pers, a big video game if not used properly.

Listen to the Master-Jack and others above in that you should not worry about the SATS. You will learn all the principles of weapons handling and marksmanship on course.

It's the same with cadets -- they might have experience doing drill, but in the big picture it doesn't matter, because everyone is taught from scratch and becomes proficient.

The SAT is a system with huge training potential that, IMHO, we are barely scratching the surface of. As far as I can make out, we are insisting on treating as a digitized version of the old .22 indoor range. It is far more than that.

Earlier this year we conducted a SAT demo for the COs and RSMs of our Bde, in which we displayed SAT's use a tactical trainer. A Section Commander took his section through a night defensive scenario, which opened everybody's eyes. The system offers a number of different scenarios that can be used for different purposes. Its use is probably limited only by operator training, imagination and and software development.

The SAT does not replace firing on the range or under field conditions: that was never its purpose and anybody who condemns it on those grounds is missing the point. The SAT (like all simulations) allows us to work repetitively on basic aspects of certain skills and TTPs at very little cost, without the bother and time required to go to the field, such that when we DO go to the field we are that much more squared away.

Cheers.

Back