• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So what is your opinion on saluting foreign officers?

Incidentally, why do some salute with palm facing forward instead of down? Is this a regimental custom? I have seen some members of the British army and Canadian vets still salute this way.

Blindspot said:
Incidentally, why do some salute with palm facing forward instead of down? Is this a regimental custom? I have seen some members of the British army and Canadian vets still salute this way.

It dates way back to days long forgotten.  In the Army it was a way of maintaining a subliminal control on dress, deportment and discipline, in that it was a way of checking that your soldiers had clean hands on 'parade'.  It also was a means of showing that you hid no weapons.  Much like the Boy Scout handshake being left handed, dating back to the Boer War, where one would have to put down his shield to shake with his left hand, proving that he was unarmed.

With Unification of the Armed Forces in the Hellier Regime, the Canadian Army and RCAF adopted the Navy salute, while the Navy adopted the new rank system (temporarily).  The Navy never worried about clean hands, so hid the dirt from the officers on the deck.

Fact or fiction...probably a bit of both.

GW

You are all wrong on why we salute officers.

We do it to remind them of their responsibilities.  ;D

As for rules of thumb, and commissioned officer higher in rank than you rates a salute, but if you see them frequently during the day, once at the start of the work day and once at the end is sufficient, not every time you seem them.  So if you're passing the same officer, say, at the armoury 10 times a night, once the first time you see him, and then if you see him on the way out the door at the end of the night, fine but you don't "have" to the other 9 times.

ags281 said:
The navy's got a good one: If it moves salute it, if it doesn't paint it.

News to me...the navy is big on rendering proper compliments. The only thing we do different then the army is we are more ceremonial.

Since saluting is a common mark of military respect in most armies worthy of  the name, I see nothing wrong with saluting foreign officers. Anyway, in our Army a salute has nothing to do with the person wearing the rank (they may not personally be worthy of any respect at all....) but has everything to do with acknowledging HM commission that the officer has been granted.

One practice that has crept into our Army, which is ridiculous and disgraceful, is the practice of an officer saying "Thank  You" when being saluted. This silliness implies that a) the salute is "for" the particular officer; or b) that it is an optional act that should be marked with gratitude. It is neither, and this pompous behaviour should cease. Our last Commander here in LFWA tried to stamp it out, but it seems to be difficult to eradicate.

Cheers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Canadian Army and RCAF used the palm salute.   Many vets who served prior to unification prefer this form when it is appropriate (wearing headress on Remembrance Day etc.)   Many of us were quite distressed at Hellier's experiment.   I remember the day unification officially took place and part of the ceremony was the final raising of the Corps flag, its lowering and the raising of the new one.   The drill was to salute the old flag with the Army salute and the new one with the CF   salute.   Our RSM demonstrated his thoughts by using the Army salute for both flags.  
VVV

pbi said:
One practice that has crept into our Army, which is ridiculous and disgraceful, is the practice of an officer saying "Thank   You" when being saluted. This silliness implies that a) the salute is "for" the particular officer; or b) that it is an optional act that should be marked with gratitude. It is neither, and this pompous behaviour should cease. Our last Commander here in LFWA tried to stamp it out, but it seems to be difficult to eradicate.

I don't have a problem with an officer saying "Thank You" to acknowledge a salute.  You probably just wished him/her a good day, and a friendly thank you can be appropriate.  If an officer happens to be a pompous ass, he/she will behave pompously when receiving a salute, regardless of the phrase used.

Jack Neilson said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Canadian Army and RCAF used the palm salute.   Many vets who served prior to unification prefer this form when it is appropriate (wearing headress on Remembrance Day etc.)   Many of us were quite distressed at Hellier's experiment.   I remember the day unification officially took place and part of the ceremony was the final raising of the Corps flag, its lowering and the raising of the new one.   The drill was to salute the old flag with the Army salute and the new one with the CF   salute.   Our RSM demonstrated his thoughts by using the Army salute for both flags.  
VVV

I just love stories about RSMs who think they are bigger than the Army.  I've heard a similar one of an RSM who had to salute a female officer on parade- she was the adjutant of the unit, the first female adjutant, and the RSM made sure to say as he was saluting words to the effect "I really hate doing this."  Her response, apparently, was "Tough shit, sergeant major."

But at least he rendered a proper salute.  The one in your example should have been charged; what a magnificent example of discipline he must have set. 

What's the rule of thumb/accepted practice for saluting amongst junior officers?  I remember being discouraged saluting Lt's when I was a green 2Lt and was vaguely told to salute Capt's if they hold a field position (like the adjt or Coy OC).

I remember in Gagetown, some poor fresh OCdts (and 2Lts) called the Coy OC a "Warrant" -- because the OC was a British major and had a crown as his rank.  :-D

I seem to recall from movies such as Bridge Over River Kwai, To End All Wars, etc that senior officers, even if they are the enemy, are saluted.  Maybe even in the last ep of Band of Brothers too.

Ex-Dragoon said:
News to me...the navy is big on rendering proper compliments. The only thing we do different then the army is we are more ceremonial.

I think it originally came from the US navy. Seems to have been adopted as universal navy sarcasm by some though as I've heard a number of our guys quoting it too.

pbi said:
One practice that has crept into our Army, which is ridiculous and disgraceful, is the practice of an officer saying "Thank You" when being saluted. This silliness implies that a) the salute is "for" the particular officer; or b) that it is an optional act that should be marked with gratitude. It is neither, and this pompous behaviour should cease. Our last Commander here in LFWA tried to stamp it out, but it seems to be difficult to eradicate.

I always try to use "good morning/afternoon/evening" or a similar greeting when saluted, but once in a while "thank you" just slips out. There's no pomposity vested in the phrase or anything, it's just the words that came out when acknowledging the NCM (I'm too lowly and insignificant to be saluted by officers ;)). When I first started getting saluted, "thank you" seemed a natural response, as most people saluting me have far more experience than I do and I had not realized it might be taken the way you mention. Ever since this possibility was brought up by a certain CWO though (that "conversation" was fun) I've been making an effort to avoid "thank you"

In a disciplined service of any kind where upon an officer holds a commission you salute the rank,regardless of what force,service or nationality that officer holds a rank in....I believe its important and a sign of respect.

Marine837M

SpinDoc said:
What's the rule of thumb/accepted practice for saluting amongst junior officers?   I remember being discouraged saluting Lt's when I was a green 2Lt and was vaguely told to salute Capt's if they hold a field position (like the adjt or Coy OC).

Technically, any officer is expected to pay compliments to, saluting as appropriate, his/her superiors, and that includes 2Lts saluting Lts, etc. Within many units there are local customs that subaltern officers (2Lt/Lt) will not normally salute one another. In rare cases this may have been extended to include Captains, less those with field grade appointments (OCs, Adjutants, Ops Officers), but I've seldom seen this upheld deligently.

Officers on parade will salute in accordance with the dictates of the parade aappointments therefore a captain Company 2IC will salute a captain Company Commander on handing over a company on parade in recognition of the Commission and senior appointment. For example, the Regimental Standing Orders of The RCR states "Captains [on parade] will salute the Adjutant" (2003 Interim Edition, Art 705)

In The RCR it was once customary for an officer to salute on entering another officer's office, recognizing the Commission and also as a method of greeting. I don't know how closely this practice is being followed these days but Regimental Standing Orders still states "Officers will salute when entering the office of another Officer" (2003 Interim Edition, Art 705)

I remember my platoon commander getting a kick out of seeing NSE NCOs or junior officers salute me when i would walk anywhere on camp carrying my laptop in a case. (looks like a briefcase, also i often carried a pistol).

I always look at someone when walking past to smile say hello and if they are an officer salute them. I figure some people thought i was watching them to see if they salute or not and decided not to risk it. It always freaked me out, i was just waiting for someone to turn around upon seeing the mighty two chevrons  kick my ass 
:salute:

Back in the CF in the early 1980's when all ranks in combats wore their rank on slipons on the epaulettes, I was in Shilo, and a young group of German conscripts saluted us, as our CPL chevs may have been looking like CAPT rank to them, as they must have been taught to salute anyone with rank on the shoulder.

Anyways we saluted back, as we did not have a clue what rank they were either.

wierd but true.

Cheers,

Wes

skura said:
How does the saluting system work?

Always salute those higher then you or salute anyone you see?

Salute all officers(except officer cadets). Never salute a NCM/NCO.

If you see bars or maple leafs, salute.

I found that the Officers in Greenwood were especially helpful. If you were approaching one and couldn't quite make out the rank they would always say something like, "Lovely day isn't it?", my hand always snapped up if I heard that, it never did me wrong.

Wesley H. Allen said:
Back in the CF in the early 1980's when all ranks in combats wore their rank on slipons on the epaulettes, I was in Shilo, and a young group of German conscripts saluted us, as our CPL chevs may have been looking like CAPT rank to them, as they must have been taught to salute anyone with rank on the shoulder.

Anyways we saluted back, as we did not have a clue what rank they were either.

wierd but true.

Cheers,

Wes

Yeah we have experienced that as well in the navy...usually from the USN when we wear our white shirts and peak caps.

Just curious but isn't it more of an air force tradition that junior officers don't salute each other while on base?

I have to confess I have never seen two LTs salute each other  ;D

:boring:

Wes

Would you salute a US Warrant Officer? The junior warrant rank (WO1) in the US Army is an officer but is appointed by Warrant rather than Commission

Back