• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Qualification Course (Questions & Answers)

Note: Meaford has its own weather machine lol, weather in meaford differs from the rest of the world lol

Mallard said:
Note: Meaford has its own weather machine lol, weather in meaford differs from the rest of the world lol

People say that about every single base/training area.......

Yup... The weirdest things eh? One minute sunny sizzling 32C and next minute wind, driving rain and 10C that's Gagtown for ya!

Mallard said:

No, it is true...The weather machine called Georgian Bay...have fun.

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
No, it is true...The weather machine called Georgian Bay...have fun.

Sounds....wonderful.  :) Ah well, 4 weeks of course to get through and then I can head back to AB to use all my annual days!

I'm about to go on SQ in Meaford and I'm a Naval Comm Research.  Do I need to bring my NCD's or can I leave them behind?  I can't see why I would need my Navy attire unless it was somehow part of inspections.  The less kit I need, the better. ;D

tempestrunner said:
I'm about to go on SQ in Meaford and I'm a Naval Comm Research.  Do I need to bring my NCD's or can I leave them behind?  I can't see why I would need my Navy attire unless it was somehow part of inspections.  The less kit I need, the better. ;D

Do you have issued CADPAT Combats? if not I would suggest that you bring your NCS's but then again I've been known to be wrong from time to time.

I just finished my SQ with the Regs in Valcartier. And, here is what I have been trough.

the course is there for one purpose...we are in the Army, we are an operational army, and even if we are not all combat trade, we might have to be in a combat situation. So get ready to learn the basic of Canadian combat system. Perhaps you will never do this stuff again...but if you have to, then you will have at least...somewere in your head a faint souvenir of drills and at least you will have applied at least once the drills.

The course in 19 days. give you 100% and even more. No its not always fun, or easy, practice, team work is undoubtedly the most important thing. Be proud of what you accomplish. several thousand of people have been trough it. (I've been trough it, so it cannot be that hard). The course wont make you some ninja-snipper-JFT-Seal-combat machine. but this is the very basic any members of the Army should know.

What is 19 days in you 25 years contract? nothing. If you have an attitude thing...swallow it. don't be there for the money, Enjoy it.... Shooting C6, C9 and grenade is WAY cool.

OK the winter list I got for the part of the year is to much. but this is the list. respect it. here are my corollaries to the SQ course.

- Learn to respect your timing...and hurry you #$% off
- Clean yourself and your kit
- Listen to your instructors
- Instead of swearing, do it...it will wok better on your moral
- Don't be a jerk and do your part of the work
- when shooting the C6, install it correctly on your shoulder...other wise...it hurts
- One day at a time, One thing at a time
- Give you support and work as a team
- Thanks the reservist on your course...they might take you off a little work because they usually don't get their CF right away
- Don't feel stupid asking question to your instructor.

To summarize...Work hard. Work a team and respect your timing. No more No less.

Thanks everyone for your help it was too bad that the only opportunity to read this is right now and pretty much after the hard part of the course haha!!  anyway it wasn't too bad except for meaford is in a world of it's own that is for sure.  Just imagine... your sitting in your defensive pos and it's only -5 out.  Sitting on the hill waiting the bluebags to attack your pos with a nice view of the georgian bay... then it generates a fricking huge cloud of misery in front of your eyes.  Then in 5-10 mikes it hits you... bloody 60 km winds, ice pellets.... oh snap!  very unique winter conditions for me anyway.

i finished my BMQ in december in borden.. and should be going on my SQ at anytime.  what kind of pt do they give you on SQ??
all through BMQ ive had stress fractures on both my feet (and still do) which has made my BMQ quite the experience ..so im a bit worried for SQ. any suggestions??

On my SQ we did PT twice a day. Morning PT was either a run(usually 5km) or circuit training, afternoon was a ruckmarch.

Next question you have though try searching first....

Sounds to me like SQ is what used to be part of Basic back in the day when I did it when in the Reserves.

Doesn't sound too hard having done it, but it does sound pretty intense and busy.

As for stress fractures in your feet, I had them also. Proper foot support and the right diet will fix that to an extent. I came off of living with my mother on welfare and was pretty under-nourished when I got in and it showed by being a bit less fit and easier to break down than other people.

Does anyone have the dates for the reserve SQ this winter for the Montreal area? Usually it starts in Feb and is 10 or so weekends.

DannyITR said:
Does anyone have the dates for the reserve SQ this winter for the Montreal area? Usually it starts in Feb and is 10 or so weekends.

How about asking your Section Commander?

BMQ video. Not sure if this has been posted before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OGvactN9z4

""SQ is a common course for all army trades and it's only after SQ you go on and do your trades qualifications""

i am about to go on my 5's and i  have not done SQ, just got the canforgen on SQ with the list of trades that must complete SQ. there would be a massive influx of trades that need there SQ. So i can expect az long waiting list before going. salso i know cpl's that are not 6's qualified but have not completed SQ. most of us have been on some pretty long ex's too...

honestly..as a tech trade, i do not see an SQ course as a requirement to do my job and what i may be asked to do. we do convoy drills, weapon shoots, nav, patrols, BFT, all the military skills, etc once a year. we have to do them before gettin deployed from our unit. we can even go on TAV's with only those, and our light dets. as for radio portion of the course...i fix em for a living

regardless, 4 weeks TD pay to go play soldier..all i can sat yes sir. never shot the c9 or c6 that would be cool, 60's a P and weekends are free

Wright said:
honestly..as a tech trade, i do not see an SQ course as a requirement to do my job ...

regardless, 4 weeks TD pay to go play soldier..all i can sat yes sir. never shot the c9 or c6 that would be cool, 60's a P and weekends are free
Your job is soldier first.  I hope you do not take this cavalier attitude toward the course when you get on it.  These will be the skills that save your life and the lives of your friends & peers should things go really pear shaped while you are on an operation.

There are plenty of soldiers right now who never thought they would need to soldier to do "their job" but are now thankful that the skills were available while fighting the war in Afghanistan.

... after looking at your profile, I know guys that work in your same grid square who were given marching orders to participate in a real pl attack as riflemen.

It can happen, so be prepared. 

not once did i say it cant happen. it could very well happen.

and it isnt so much a cavalier attitude..id go in do it to the best of my abilities and get it done. i wouldnt mind going on it at all. the extra money is a bonus, but th efun would be in the weapons. i have only ever handled the c7.

i didnt mean to come off cavalier with it sry

Wright said:
i wouldnt mind going on it at all. the extra money is a bonus, but th efun would be in the weapons. i have only ever handled the c7.
Maybe an SQ for non-infantry types would be a little different, but the army can usually take the fun out of, or a tleast erase the memory of, those few hours (if that) of trigger time. ;)

Maybe it was my circumstances, but my transition from BMQ to DP1 (ie. SQ) was some of the least fun I had in the army.

Back