• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Suicides

So, while we have numbers to show that the military had a statistically lower rate of suicides, we also had numbers to show that the military had a statistically higher rate of depression. Interesting.
Depression in soldiers a ‘huge concern,’ says military MD
There have been eight suspected suicides in the Canadian Forces since the beginning of the year but it’s unclear whether they represent a sustained pattern, says the military’s surgeon general
Murray Brewster
Toronto Star
08 April 2014

OTTAWA—There have been eight suspected suicides in the Canadian Armed Forces since the beginning of the year but it’s unclear whether they represent a sustained pattern, says the military’s surgeon general.

Testifying before the all-party House of Commons defence committee on Tuesday, Brig.-Gen. Jean-Robert Bernier noted separately that depression, especially among male Forces members, is double that of the civilian population and represents a “major concern.”

Roughly 7.8 per cent of the military reported episodes of depression prior to the Afghan war, but the numbers are being updated, he added. Medical professionals draw a direct link between instances of depression and suicide.

Much of the public attention in the aftermath of the Afghan war has been focused on post-traumatic stress, which counts depression among its constellation of symptoms.

The military often underscores the resources it has poured into PTSD treatment and research and is quick to say its rate of suicide is below the national average. But underlining that is the extraordinarily high overall amount of depression.

“We haven’t been able to pin it down specific exposures in military life,” said Bernier. “Although, there are all kinds of increased risk factors for depression because of military service.”
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/04/08/depression_in_soldiers_a_huge_concern_says_military_md.html

A longer article in Maclean's suggests that even with the late 2013 spike, suicide numbers were below average.  It was also suggested that "suicide contagion" may have been flamed through the extensive media attention, and that this contributed to the size/duration of the spike.

Rider Pride said:
Not all mental illness is PTSD, but all PTSD is mental illness. The CAF is doing a good job identifying and treating PTSD, but it is the rest of the mental illnesses that is providing more of a challenge.

MCG said:
So, while we have numbers to show that the military had a statistically lower rate of suicides, we also had numbers to show that the military had a statistically higher rate of depression. Interesting. http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/04/08/depression_in_soldiers_a_huge_concern_says_military_md.html

A longer article in Maclean's suggests that even with the late 2013 spike, suicide numbers were below average.  It was also suggested that "suicide contagion" may have been flamed through the extensive media attention, and that this contributed to the size/duration of the spike.

That jives with what we've been getting anecdotally through SUTC. I'd contend that the 'big four' (in no particular order, and generally with some or often considerable degree of comorbidity) are PTSD, Depression, Anxiety (in its many forms, but often generalized or social), and Substance Abuse Disorder. The media has been focused inappropriately on just PTSD, and this is something I've brought up with several of the reporters who've spoken to me about this stuff. I *think* the message is starting to get out.

Meanwhile, the British believe they have found a link between longer tours (9 month vs 6 month) and increased risk of mental injury.  They found another increased risk link in reservists.  Some are also suggesting that the UK does a better job supporting its personnel as it had a fewer suicides than the CAF last year.
More Canadian than British soldiers took own lives in 2013
Some experts say the British military is providing better mental health services to its soldiers

Caroline Brown, CBC News
14 April 2014

Suicide rates among Canadian soldiers are far higher than those in Britain, according to newly released statistics by the U.K. Ministry of Defence.

In 2013, five suicides were reported in the British regular forces compared with 13 for their Canadian counterparts, in a force one third the size. There have also been five others in Canada so far this year.

One possible explanation for the discrepancy is that "at this point in time, the Brits are providing better service" for their veterans, says Michael Blais, co-founder of Canadian Veterans Advocacy, a non-profit group focused on improving the lives of veterans.

Another may be the way the two countries deployed their troops in Afghanistan.

British troops may be more resilient to the aftereffects of combat because they had shorter deployments than those in the Canadian regular forces, said Nicole Meszaros, a senior public affairs officer for the Canadian Forces.

According to a study by King’s Centre for Military Health Research at King’s College, London, prolonged combat missions in Afghanistan are behind the most significant mental health burdens facing British soldiers, but these problems can vary in important ways.

Neil Greenberg, an academic psychiatrist at King's College and the senior author on the study, said regular and elite forces suffer higher rates of alcohol and post-deployment aggression than they do post-traumatic stress disorder, which has a correlation to suicide.

"We found high rates of PTSD and risk of suicide in those who are on deployments longer than six months. We also found reservist combat troops are also at higher risk," he said.

Britain's defence ministry reports that military suicide rates have been declining since the 1990s, at least partly it seems because of government efforts.

In recent years, for example, the British military introduced the Enhanced Mental Health Assessment (EMHA) program to help ensure mental health issues are identified at an early stage in a soldier's career.

"This program has helped ensure that primary care and mental health practitioners across the country are now able to facilitate early diagnosis of mental health issues and ensure all personnel at risk are provided with the most appropriate treatment," says Lizzy Jackson, a defence ministry spokesperson.

“Canadians don’t have a peer support program like EMHA, they have the Operational Stress Injury Social Support program, but that only helps to get troops back into their units as quickly as possible,” said Greenberg, who has also looked at Canadian Forces data.

In 2012, the Canadian government announced that it would increase funding for soldiers' mental health to $50 million annually. Still, Blais says the government isn't doing enough.

"The outreach in Canada is beginning, but we have men and women who can't get in to see a psychiatrist for five months. This could end in catastrophe if we don't provide the treatment in an expedient and effective manner," he says.

Part of the problem in Canada may be a kind of stigma that soldiers face.

Canadian veteran Chris Dupee served in Afghanistan in 2008 and 2009 before joining the Joint Personnel Support Unit, the Canadian Forces' mental health unit. He said he saw a trend among his fellow soldiers who were afraid to come forward to the military with their mental health issues because of the strong stigma attached to it.

"I denied that I had PTSD. I didn’t get help. The warrior culture in the military is you are supposed to be tough, to soldier on.

"And it wasn’t until about a year after deployment in Afghanistan that I put myself through the system to get help," he said.

Dupee said Canada does have a lot of resources and programs for treatment, but most soldiers don’t feel they can come forward or even realize they may have a problem.

"Anytime a soldier commits suicide in Canada it always hits close to home, and I wanted to make an example of myself by breaking the silence. So I started Military Minds as a way to connect soldiers together and to the resources available to them," Dupee says.

Military Minds was originally created to offer employment for soldiers who were ending their term of service, but is now one of the largest organizations in the world raising awareness of the stigma around PTSD.

“I look at the British as more sophisticated in the way they handle mental health issues. In Canada there is no organization that wholeheartedly just wants to help the troops," Dupee says. "There's money and power and political manoeuvres; in the meantime they are forgetting about the soldiers. It's a miracle Military Minds is still standing."

British veterans Cpl. David Soppitt and Sgt. Mark James Turnbull both served in Afghanistan. Both were medically discharged, and both are suffering from extreme PTSD resulting from combat in Afghanistan.

"It's like being in a black room with a demon that you are fighting constantly, but since I began seeing my psychologist a few months ago I feel like I will be able to live a normal life," Cpl. Soppitt said.

Sgt.Turnbull has attempted suicide several times, and now takes a cocktail of anti-psychotic medication. It helps him get through the day and raise his five-year-old daughter. He is an extreme case and has to fight everyday to want to live.

Although the system in the U.K. is well funded, it’s only when you are out of the military that you get access to an abundance of resources, says Soppitt.

Dupee, from Military Minds, is also on medication and said that in Canada this is often the first line of treatment. 

Jennifer Wild, a clinical psychologist at Oxford University, treats British soldiers who are suffering from PTSD says that is the wrong approach. "Medication is not recommended — there is no good medication for PTSD. A pill does nothing for their PTSD symptoms [so] there are few instances where I would go to medication first."

In her practice Wild uses cognitive behavioural therapy, which is proven to work on PTSD. Most of the treatment happens outside of the office, where she is able to find reminders and triggers for patients in order to help them work through the traumatic memory itself.

"Solders may feel ashamed or excessively guilty about an action they took or didn’t take, and may be judging themselves on superhuman standards," Wild said.

The soldiers she has treated have certainly felt stigmatized by the military, she says. But treatment has helped them become better equipped to deal with their mental health issues.

"As a veteran you have all the help you could ever need, but while you are in the military you're meant to be tough and to soldier on," Soppitt said.

When you come out and say you have mental health issues, you know your military days are over, both he and Dupee say.

Dupee said when a soldier is medically discharged in Canada they are given a lump sum payment, a payment that’s woefully inadequate.

He said, often it’s $100 000 for these young guys who are mentally unstable.

"That's going up their nose, down their throat, into a vehicle, that money's gone in a year. Now he's screwed, he's not capable of work because his mental health won't allow it.

"If someone were to trip and fall in Wal-Mart, they'd get paid a hell of a lot more than a soldier who’s given his mental health or a limb for his country. It's messed up," Dupee said.

Dupee and his colleagues have identified three major problems in the Canadian system: employment services for soldiers just coming out of the army; the division between the government and charitable organizations in regards to power and money, and the lump sum payment.

Both Canadian and British soldiers returning from Afghanistan go through a mandatory decompression stage in Cyprus. Here they talk about mental health issues before returning home. Both Dupee and Soppitt, while from different countries and different missions, said that in their experience this decompression does nothing.

"You just want to get home, nobody cares to listen to what they have to say, it’s just about getting through the checklist of items to make sure they have done their due diligence," Dupee said.

Peer-to-peer support is the key to solving these problems in Canada, he suggests. It’s not about the message, it’s about who the message is coming from.

"There is something to be said about a friend who has been through the same experiences as you, bouncing your thoughts and emotions off that person rather than a psychiatrist," Dupee says.

Even though the Canadian mission in Afghanistan has ended, the war on mental health continues for thousands of soldiers. The British forces’ mission in Afghanistan is expected to end in December.

"It remains to be seen what the longer-term psychological impact of serving in Afghanistan will be, and what social and health-care services might be required for this small, but important group of veterans who are at the highest risk of mental health problems," Greenberg said.

Statistics Canada is scheduled to release the most comprehensive study on mental health ever conducted on the Canadian Forces in November.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/more-canadian-than-british-soldiers-took-own-lives-in-2013-1.2604078

MCG said:
Meanwhile, the British believe they have found a link between longer tours (9 month vs 6 month) and increased risk of mental injury.  They found another increased risk link in reservists.  Some are also suggesting that the UK does a better job supporting its personnel as it had a fewer suicides than the CAF last year.http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/more-canadian-than-british-soldiers-took-own-lives-in-2013-1.2604078

I'd be cautious about trying to do an 'apples to apples' comparison with other countries regarding a subject like this.

For example, there are huge cultural differences between the UK and Canada that are likely impossible to measure, but could be very influential, related to how well people manage through things like PTSD.

Exactly.  Statements like this really mean nothing unless one compares the suicide rates within both militaries to their respective civilian populations.  If the rates are the same then it means both countries are getting the same results in treatments and education.  If it were to turn out that, lets say, the UK had a lower civilian suicide rate than Canada, one would have to surmise that the CAF mental health plan was better than that of the UK military.  Vice-versa if the opposite were shown to be true.

So these stats being thrown around in the article mean nothing without a baseline to compare them to.

It appears that not one of the Canadians whose opinions are quoted in the article have actually read the British study. 

Journeyman said:
It appears that not one of the Canadians whose opinions are quoted in the article have actually read the British study. 

You seem almost surprised by this  ::)

MM

medicineman said:
You seem almost surprised by this  ::)
I actually deleted my follow-on comments before I hit send.

I thought you'd be proud of me....    ;D

Neil Greenberg, an academic psychiatrist at King's College and the senior author on the study, said BLAH BLAH BLAH WON WONK WON

“Canadians don’t have a peer support program like EMHA, they have the Operational Stress Injury Social Support program, but that only helps to get troops back into their units as quickly as possible,” said Greenberg, who has also looked at Canadian Forces data.

OSISS is Peers support, and you are confusing what the IPSC is with OSISS when you say " it helps troops get back to their units as quickly as possible".  The Senior Author of the study, and he can not get a key point of his own argument correct????  Sweet heart of Jesus and his Blessed Mother get your acronyms right!!!!

I shall retire to Bedhlam, with the rest of the sane.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
OSISS is Peers support, and you are confusing what the IPSC is with OSISS when you say " it helps troops get back to their units as quickly as possible".  The Senior Author of the study, and he can not get a key point of his own argument correct????  Sweet heart of Jesus and his Blessed Mother get your acronyms right!!!!

Tess,

See my previous statement above.

Kind of reminds me of going to a drug pusher lunch or conference - you really have to sort through the BS in the presentations and the "studies" to make sure everything is above board, what's real, what's manipulated and what is a really crappy used car. 

MM

More new statistics that raise questions as opposed to answer them.
Internal DND analysis paints refined picture of military suicide crisis
Murray Brewster, The Canadian Press
CTV News
06 Jul 2014

OTTAWA -- Post-traumatic stress is thought to have played a role in only three of ten suicides in the Canadian military last winter, and the majority of soldiers who took lives were not in danger of being kicked out.

The information is contained in a brief statistical summary obtained by The Canadian Press under access-to-information legislation.

Senior brass cobbled it together as they tried to wrap their heads around what was causing a spate of deaths between November 2013 and February 2014, and the data paints a counter-intuitive portrait of the crisis.

Public perception has been that the suicides were a direct result of the Afghan war, when in fact only five of the 10 had served in the war-torn country -- and the majority of those for one tour.

Military medical officials cautioned reading too much into the summary, saying little can be "concluded about suicide trends," but the information is consistent with what investigators and health officials have uncovered.

Maj. Nicole Meszaros said it's "incredibly difficult to predict who will take their lives."

The figures show the bulk of the soldiers, although being under care for various conditions, were being retained in the military "without restriction" and no significant career changes were on the horizon.

Seventy per cent of them did not have a known history of suicide attempts.

In terms of a social profile, seven of the 10 were divorced or separated. The majority came from the army and only a handful had any legal or disciplinary issues within the past two years.

"It is not unique to the (Canadian Armed Forces) or uncommon in Canadian society to have somebody externally appear and report to be doing well and responding well to treatment, tragically suddenly take their life," Meszaros said in an email.

The military's deputy surgeon general, Col. Colin MacKay, in a Feb. 21, 2014 email obtained under access to information, told the chief of military personnel, Maj.-Gen. David Millar, that the analysis represents a "shallow dive" into the issue and more study would be needed.

The suicide crisis last winter gripped the attention of the nation and prompted National Defence to begin filling long-vacant positions within the mental health branch, as well as to make several public appeals for troops suffering with mental illness to come forward.

The suicide analysis, along with figures released last week by Statistics Canada and comments last spring by the military's top doctor, suggest the root causes of the tragedies may run deeper.

The 2013 Health and Well-Being of Canadian Armed Forces Veterans found regular force veterans upon leaving the military rated their health more poorly than the general population.

It found their sense of community belonging was lower and they were "less often satisfied with life than most Canadians."

The study said almost a quarter of those leaving the military reported both physical and mental disorders.

Testifying before the all-party House of Commons defence committee last spring, the military's surgeon-general, Brig.-Gen. Jean-Robert Bernier, said that depression, especially among male Forces members, is double that of the civilian population.

It represents a "major concern," he said.

Roughly 7.8 per cent of the military reported episodes of depression.

But that snapshot was taken prior to the Afghan war and Meszaros said Friday those numbers are being updated.

Medical professionals draw a direct link between instances of depression and suicide.

Understanding the extraordinarily high overall amount of depression is something the military is struggling [to do.]
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/internal-dnd-analysis-paints-refined-picture-of-military-suicide-crisis-1.1901193#

MCG said:
More new statistics that raise questions as opposed to answer them.http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/internal-dnd-analysis-paints-refined-picture-of-military-suicide-crisis-1.1901193#

Ok the article says only 5 in 10 served in Afghanistan. What about the guys that served in Bosnia or anywhere else for that matter.They saw things too. So out of the 5 that did not go to Afghanistan, did they serve somewhere else and be affected by thier expierence?

Thats why they said they've just started a shallow dive into finding the root causes. They very well could have been Bosnian vets, or Rwanda, or Somalia. There was probably a lot about the social profiles that may have been blacked out on ATI, as the service records would be Protected A.

Bumped with the latest - a summary from the Surgeon General's latest report (highlights mine):
The Directorate of Force Health Protection (DFHP) regularly conducts analyses to examine suicide rates and the relationship between suicide and deployment. This report is an update covering the period from 1995 to 2014 .... This report describes crude suicide rates from 1995 to 2014, comparisons between the Canadian population and the CAF using standardized mortality ratios (SMRs), and suicide rates by deployment history using SMRs and direct standardization. It also examines variation in suicide rate by Command and, using data from the Medical Professional Technical Suicide Reviews (MPTSR), looks at the prevalence of other suicide risk factors in suicides which occurred in 2014 ....  Suicide rates in the CAF did not significantly increase over time, and after age standardization, they were not statistically higher than those in the Canadian population.  However, small numbers have limited the ability to detect statistical significance. In contrast to previous results, history of deployment may be emerging as a risk factor for suicide in the CAF. The increased risk in Regular Force males under Army Command compared to Regular Force males under non-Army Command is another new finding.  Deployment-related trauma (especially that related to the mission in Afghanistan) and resulting mental disorders are plausible mechanisms for these associations.  However, residual confounding may also be at play (e.g., by disproportionate risk of childhood trauma or other lifetime trauma in Army personnel or those who deploy).  Further research with other data sources will be needed to explore these hypotheses in depth.
Statement from the Defence Minister ....
“Throughout my career I have seen first-hand the demands of military service, and the sometimes enormous impact it can have on members and their families. This is particularly relevant given our long combat mission in Afghanistan. I also know that the CAF has done much to address the barriers to care, including stigma, and provides excellent health care and support to its men and women in uniform. However, I am concerned about the findings of the recent CAF report indicating an increased rate of suicide amongst CAF members. As Minister, taking care of our people is my personal priority. I am fully committed to live up to our obligation to Canadian Armed Forces members and their families.

“I have asked the Chief of the Defence Staff to examine this issue as a priority and to identify a way forward.”
.... and from the CDS:
“I have seen the Surgeon General’s report on suicide in the Canadian Armed Forces and I am concerned. The health and well-being of all Canadian Armed Forces members and their families is, as you know, my highest priority.  We already have an extensive suicide prevention program in place, supported by highly-capable and compassionate personnel, but clearly we must continually strive to improve.

“As directed by the Minister, I will take action to determine what needs to be done to get our members the help they need.

“To all members of the Canadian Armed Forces, if you think that you, or someone you know needs help, get it now. Go to your nearest Canadian Armed Forces health clinic or civilian emergency health care centre. All levels of the Canadian Armed Forces leadership, and I, support you. You are not alone.”

I think you need to digest the conclusions. IMHO, there is adequate care available.  Getting people into care in a timely manner and finding them a constructive (rather than destructive) manner to serve while undergoing treatment is the crux of the problem.  Emphasis below is mine.

"It is far more probable that the changing trends are caused by two other larger forces at play:

1. here is strong evidence that the CAF mission in Afghanistan has had a powerful impact on the mental health of an important minority of personnel who deployed in support of it. Clear differences in the prevalence of mental disorders among personnel who deployed in support of that mission and other personnel have also been demonstrated.  The clear conceptual and empirical links between deployment-related trauma, mental disorders, and suicidality make these trends in patterns of Regular Force male suicidal behaviour in the CAF understandable.
2.  Second, the CAF’s retention practices for personnel with mental disorders have evolved.  Personnel who have recovered fully from mental disorders may continue to serve provided that they meet Universality of Service standards. For those who do not recover completely, time to release is now more prolonged than in the past.

We must reiterate here that suicide is a multifactorial event that is explained by more than deployment alone; consequently, disproportionate focus on selected factors runs counter to the CAF’s public health approach to suicide prevention. Focusing only on deployment, PTSD or any of the other risk factors discussed in this report is an ineffective approach to suicide prevention.

4.2  Conclusions

The following conclusions are reached with the understanding that statistical analysis may not identify a true difference due to the small total number of suicides, i.e. the power of the study is low: 

1. From 1995 to 2014 there has been no statistically significant change in the overall CAF Regular Force male suicide rates.
2. The rate of suicide when standardized for age and sex is not statistically significantly different from that of the general Canadian population.
3. Direct standardization suggests that a history of deployment is now emerging as a risk factor for Regular Force male suicide in the Canadian Armed Forces since 2010, confounding by other factors may be responsible for this finding.
4. High prevalence of mood disorders, spousal/intimate partner breakdown and/or of career-related proceedings may be indicators of heightened suicide risk in CAF Regular Force males.
5.  Analyses suggest that there is a significantly higher crude rate of Regular Force male suicide in the Army Command relative to other CAF Commands. This may be in part driven by the significant difference in the crude Regular Force male suicide rate for the Combat Arms Trades relative to the non-Combat Arms suicide rate.
6.  With more than 20 years of Regular Force data, advanced statistical approaches will need to be explored in future analyses to better and more accurately describe the suicide experience in the CAF."

Do people here really think that this latest generation of soldiers is any less able than previous generations....?

Do people here really think that there were not suicides after previous conflicts, that there was not PTSD or it's equivalent ?

The only thing I can see differently is that the organization is trying to help and the generous amount of publicity, wanted or not, that has gone along with it.

Meanwhile, while I agree with the general sentiment, I forsee this  :worms: from the following - highlights mine:
Canada’s new Veterans Affairs Minister is vowing to find a way to commemorate the 59 soldiers who served in Afghanistan and later took their own lives.

“They are part of our military family,” Kent Hehr said in an interview. “A veteran is a veteran is a veteran.”

The minister made the comments on Remembrance Day, when thousands gathered at the National War Memorial in Ottawa under grey skies to pay their respects to those Canadians who fought for their country, including the many who gave their lives in the process.

Mr. Hehr said he will consult former soldiers on how to proceed. “All of the proud soldiers who have served our country honourably ought to be recognized for their service and their sacrifice, including recognition of those who may have taken their own life,” he said. “I will engage with veterans in the months ahead and, together, we will explore ways to better recognize all those who have fallen.” ....

I would like to see all CF members who succumbed to suicide commemorated. Singling out those with service in Afghanistan, which may or may not have been a contributing factor, seems short sighted.

Simian Turner said:
Getting people into care in a timely manner ... is the crux of the problem. 
One barrier against this, from some of my observations, has been LDA.  We give guys hundreds of dollars a month not to go to the field but to be in a unit designated as a field unit.  There is a financial disincentive to admitting the posibility of an injury because the free money might end.

Back