• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Swords

goodform

Inactive
Reaction score
I will ask a friend of mine where he got his.  It is a "blank" infantry pattern sword.  Blank meaning that there is no cypher engraved, it is attached with screws.  This allows a new cypher to be attached, should anything change.  The blade is etched, but again, no cypher.  He paid around $400.  It is a great "knock-off"!

A cypher attached with screws?

:p  yetch!

If you are an officer in any unit, the swords are provided for ceremonial occasions.

Solingen swords give you good value for your dollar....

If you want to mount it for display, the last thing you want to do is doint it on the "cheap".... you'll kick yourself thereafter.....

(You might try ebay)

http://www.messdress.com/ishop/820/shopscr694.html
Wilkinson's also made military swords

Wilkinsons is the "gold standard"
Solingen swords are a good second choice..............

Army Outfitters has made swords on numerous occaisions

I know he just sold 13 of them to the CF in the last month and they were
trying to get more. 

My suggestion is contact them. 

(647) 436-0876

geo said:
Wilkinsons is the "gold standard"
Solingen swords are a good second choice..............

Alas, Wilkinson has stopped making swords (and are owned by a US-based multinational).  They ceased production about this time last year. :(  I managed to get my hands on a QEII 1912 pattern sabre a few years back.

Sorry LeGars, Just noticed that you are CIC. 

If you are looking for yourself, depending on what you are wearing, you have 2 different patterns of swords.  If you are in regular DEUs then it would be the infantry pattern sword.  If you are wearing a kilt, then it would be a basket hilted sword.  IMHO, don't bother with a sword.  You can change units many times.

If you are looking for the Cadet Corps, then you can find the basket hilted swords on eBay, for under $50 USD.  They are cheap, so you won't have to worry about some cadet pretending to be Rob Roy or William Wallace.  If it breaks, oh well.  The cadet could work off the money in no time.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Scottish-BASKETHILT-CLAYMORE-BROADSWORD-MSRP-90-00_W0QQitemZ150029427091QQihZ005QQcategoryZ43340QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

An officer should own his own sword.

A good place to look are antique/militaria shows. There's a lot of crap out there, but sometimes you find something special.

My sword is an 1899 pattern calvary sabre with stamps from the RCD and the Fort Garry Horse. It might have made it to the Boer War (right time, right unit) but there's no way to tell for sure.

I had a belt made for it, and it has been my parade sword ever since. I got married in this sword. :)

The best part? $300 at the Charlottetown Military Show.

DG

Can you post a photo?

Next question; is it a Cavalry Sabre or a Cavalry Sword?  The RCD have used Swords, not Sabres.

I am interested in the engravings and perhaps if you have a Ser./Regt'l No. stamped on it somewhere.  The No. may indicate who it may have belonged to.

Hmmm....
If it has a reg't serial number, then this was a piece of kit that went "walkies" at the last DA verification (Eek) unless of course it was presented to a historic member of the Reg't...

geo said:
Hmmm....
If it has a reg't serial number, then this was a piece of kit that went "walkies" at the last DA verification (Eek) unless of course it was presented to a historic member of the Reg't...

I think most Regt'l QMs 'lost' their swords in the late 1930's - early 1940's, along with the disappearance of the Horse.  As is normally the case, no one forsaw the need for them anymore, even for those ceremonial occassions, such as parades.  We now had newer, more 'modern' weapons.      ;D

point taken........
who knew we would be going to Afghanistan.... who knew we'd need the swords again
:)

George Wallace said:
I think most Regt'l QMs 'lost' their swords in the late 1930's - early 1940's, along with the disappearance of the Horse.  As is normally the case, no one forsaw the need for them anymore, even for those ceremonial occassions, such as parades.  We now had newer, more 'modern' weapons.      ;D

So that's what happened to the pikes! I once saw an issue sword from the WWI period which was a true gem; stamped steel handguard, bakalite handle and a blade without any engraving or markings at all (except for what looked like a proof mark near the hilt). Alas, my wallet was very light that day.....

Le Gars said:
I did a search and found a couple of topics on swords. from those I have two useful links:

http://www.solingen-swords.com/produkte/saebel/gb/index.html
http://www.williamscully.ca/gallery/swords?page=1

I also know that you can buy from the 2RCR online kit shop. I curious to know if there are any other manufacturers or retailers I can look at, or if anything can be found cheaper, as $800 or 950 euros is a bit more than I'd hoped to spend.
2 RCR buys there infantry pattern swords from me as I am the rep for WKC in Germany here in Canada. If you need swords let me know. You can find me via my web site at www.armyoutfitters.ca

Hey Everyone,

Some of you people were asking about sword makers.  There is also Coghlin and Upton who has CF swords.  He deals alot to DND I believe he finished a shipment last year of something like 200 swords to them.  Anyways, up to you guys if u wanna check him out or not, just thought I'd throw that company out there too!
http://coghlinandupton.com/  is his website.  He doesn't have any of the swords in the online catalogue, yet, but he definatetly has them, and he also makes belts and all that jazz.  Good Luck! Cheers!

I'd love to lay my hands on a cutlass, as this was the traditional wpn of the Petty Officer before the standard CF sword pattern was introduced. It would be nice to add this to my retirement collection.

I'm not 100% sure if this is the best thread to post this question in, but I couldn't find any others on swords.  It seems from what I've read that officers are allowed to choose their own swords- is this correct? Or is there certain types or makes of swords that officers in certain regiments must adhere to? The reason I ask is I have in my possession a sword which my great-Grandfather had when he was an infantry officer in WWI, this sword was passed to my Grandfather who was in the armoured corps and later RCEME in Korea. Now that I am finishing up my DEO application I'd love to carry this sword once I am comissioned.

Cheers

Al_729,
An officer may have their own sword but, it must be of a pattern approved for their particular branch or group. There are half a dozen (off the top of my head) patterns of sword in the CF. If you look at some of the links preceding this post, you can see what fits where.

rwgill,
I joined the local regt. so perhaps the info about me being CIC was out of date, looking to get an honest to God basket hilted claymore.

Yup there are differences in swords. There are artillery pattern officer swords, armoured ( Cavalry) pattern officer swords Navy Officer Pattern swords, air force pattern officer swords and lastly the infantry pattern officer swords. Now, from my understanding everyone else in the army who does NOT have a specific sword, ie. arty, cavalry, carries the generic infantry patter officer swords. The one currently in use is the 1879 Infantry Pattern Officer Sword by all units in the CF with the exception of those above mentioned swords and the highland basket hilt sword :) hope that helps!

Back