• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Swords

Pusser said:
Perhaps, the medical officers not drawing swords thing is as much as a myth as medical personnel not handling weapons?  At one point in the Royal Navy, surgeons actually carried a specific pattern of sword, unique to them.

I witnessed the first discussion concerning the mounting of GPMGs on the Bison Ambulances for Afghanistan.  Once the Commander and Surgeon General received verified reports that the Taliban thought the Red Cross on other countries' ambulances made a wonderful aiming point for RPGs, they approved the appropriate armament (and pre-deployment range training) to protect medical personnel and their patients.

Old Sweat said:
And for the completely off the wall crowd, I was a guest at the 2 RCHA change of command parade when Greg Ivey turned over the regiment to Dan Bobbitt. All the officers carried drawn swords except the RCEME officer who carried a chromed wrench complete with sword knot.

Sadly, I fear we have lost our institutional sense of humour about stuff like that.  This would have the makings of a fine tradition if enough folks get behind it.

Pusser said:
Sadly, I fear we have lost our institutional sense of humour about stuff like that.  This would have the makings of a fine tradition if enough folks get behind it.

That was only in 2013. The only issue was that the wrench was ridiculously heavy to perform sword drill with so the Tech Adjt was very resistant to using it at the next CoC a year later.

jeffb said:
That was only in 2013. The only issue was that the wrench was ridiculously heavy to perform sword drill with so the Tech Adjt was very resistant to using it at the next CoC a year later.

So you're saying RCEME officers need remedial PT?

Well I'm not, NOT saying that but in fairness, the thing was probably about 20lbs. That's pretty heavy to hold in the hot sun with one arm.

jeffb said:
Well I'm not, NOT saying that but in fairness, the thing was probably about 20lbs. That's pretty heavy to hold in the hot sun with one arm.

I have heard that the senior serving RCEME officer doesn't like it when you call this the RCEME home station...

91902574284f4bebf9bea182e4f0b432_f153.JPG

#NDHQjokes

How far back does a branch have to go to claim a tradition?  At one time the Other Ranks of the RAMC (and probably also the CAMC) were equipped with "sidearms" as normal equipment.  Their arms were the 1852 pattern Lancaster Sword-Bayonet.  While it may have been somewhat antiquated as a defensive weapon, the arming of those who didn't need to a contribute a rifle in a defensive line were often solely issued with an edged weapon.  When they paraded, the sword-bayonet would be drawn and at the "carry" while RAMC officers would not draw the sword.  But, about 110 years ago with the elimination of the sword-bayonet as standard equipment, so too did that particular drill for the RAMC.  The use and drill movements are well shown in this early moving picture of a sword-bayonet armed guard of honour from University Company, Royal Army Medical Corps Volunteers "presenting" on the arrival of King Edward VII at Aberdeen University in 1906.

https://youtu.be/uD8uwhXdrXs?t=805

And in a contemporary issue of the Journal of the RAMC, an officer commiserates the loss of an interesting ceremonial.

https://jramc.bmj.com/content/jramc/8/1/1.2.full.pdf
NOTES FROM DELHI.-Major W. Tibbits, R.A.M.C., writes (October 25, 1906):
"I feel sure it is a subject of regret to all ranks of the Corps, whether regular, militia,
or volunteer, that the wearing of side-arms by all ranks below that of Staff-Sergeant is
to be discontinued. It was pleasant to see in some of the illustrated papers a photograph
of a detachment of the Royal Army Medical Corps Volunteers present, as a guard
of honour, at the opening of the new University buildings at Aberdeen by His Majesty
the King, paraded in 'open order,' with swords at the' carry.
' '
"Is this to be the last time the Royal Army Medical Corps will ever again have the
honour of performing such a duty? It seems to me it must be so, for how can our men
do so in future without arms of some kind? Again, are our men at review parades
and Generals' and Surgeon-Generals' inspections merely to stand to ' Attention,' and to
be excluded from the privilege of paying compliments on these occasions in common
with all the other arms of the Service? If the old Lancaster sword-bayonets are worn
out and unserviceable, there must be some thousands of the sword-bayonets formerly
used by rifle regiments available as a substitute, and, if not, the short magazine rifle
bayonet would be better than-nothing.
" It may be said, and truly, that side-arms to our men are useless. But so is the
soldier's tunic for practical purposes. Is it too 'late to hope that something may be
done to restore side-arms for ceremonial purposes, guard and picquet duties to the ranks
referred to?"

Back