• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

tactical flashlight

Laps

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to buy a new tactical type flashlight.  I am interested in getting one of those very powerful one to replace the typical MagLite.  Any one as any suggestions?  Also, where can I find these and how much am I going to have to pay???

Cheers

Laps, go for a Streamlite Scorpion...awesome rig!  About $50-ish bucks for a 2xAA model that has 6,500 cp.

You can also look into their 3CXP, its a 3xC cell with dual xenon and LED model (tri-mode) see here.  Not sure, but I though I recall that some of the 3CXP's were made with NVG-compatible LEDs.

Cheers,
Duey

I like my Surefire G2, can be had for about 50 bucks at most police/security supply stores, or off the net.

Is it me... or is there really no such thing as a tactical flashlight.

Using light isn't tactical...  it happens.... but it really shouldn't.

Doing map and compass under a groundsheet with light is permitted
I guess... but....

MAYBE for light recognition.. but there are better ways to do recognition...

Just a thought.. not a flame...  I'm sure you mean army style type flashlight.

And the word powerful and flashlight during tactical situations.. just scares me.

What about FIBUA exercises/operations? When you come crashing through the door into a dark room the enemy is gonna know you're there, flashlight or no. And if the lights are off, you can't see shit while he rips you apart - all he has to do is aim at the door. "Tactical" flashlights are most tactical in this type of situation, not because they stop you from being SEEN but because they help you SEE.

Cheers,
Pinky

Quote,
all he has to do is aim at the door.

Now, I'm no tactical genius but, isn't that harder than just aiming at the light?

Get a SureFire light, as mentioned above, there are some very reasonably priced lights to choose from, and they are excellent.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Now, I'm no tactical genius but, isn't that harder than just aiming at the light?

Depends. If it's nighttime then sure, the light will stand out. If it's daytime then the location of the door will be pretty obvious. But, the fact that a bright light hitting the enemy's eyes after they've become accustomed to the dark would (could) have a temporary blinding effect. I'd much rather have a flashlight on me when clearing a house. I've learned the hard way (albeit with simunition, thankfully) that it doesn't pay to squint into a dark corner/closet *hoping* to be able to see whether a human if there or not.

Pinky

SUREFIRE G2

If you want to spend big $ the Surefire Aviator - with red led and White incandecent.

Pte.Pinky said:
Depends. If it's nighttime then sure, the light will stand out. If it's daytime then the location of the door will be pretty obvious. But, the fact that a bright light hitting the enemy's eyes after they've become accustomed to the dark would (could) have a temporary blinding effect. I'd much rather have a flashlight on me when clearing a house. I've learned the hard way (albeit with simunition, thankfully) that it doesn't pay to squint into a dark corner/closet *hoping* to be able to see whether a human if there or not.

Pinky

Well, why would you have the light on if the area is fully lit?   

I have one of those LED lights.  They come in different colours and last forever. 

http://www.policesupplies.ca/inovax5.htm

I'm not sure it would be acceptable tactically in the field since they are pretty bright.

Just a thought and an option .....

san said:
I have one of those LED lights.   They come in different colours and last forever.  

http://www.policesupplies.ca/inovax5.htm

I'm not sure it would be acceptable tactically in the field since they are pretty bright.

Just a thought and an option .....

San, have you seen an inova in GREEN, I'm thinking that might be reasonably NVG compatible.

Guys, look at Laps' avatar....hiding under a groundsheet to check the map may not generally be part of his CONOPS...  ;)

Tactical as far  as I'm concerned is something that you use in a tactical situation to ensure success in your engagement, whatever the specifics of that action might be.  If you're on an LRP then sure, you might want a low intensity Krilll light or something in a soft bluish-green so that folks with NVDs don't blow your ass off when you use the red light that some folks think is so "tactical"...

Food for thought...

Cheers,
Duey

for the longest time i beleived any maglight branded items were the cats meow. I have used maglights , pelican and streamlight, bulbs for maglights can be found anywhere pelicans are hard to find and streamlights replacements are pricey and sorta hard to find. I melted my pyrex lens on my scorpion and to get a new one is a real pain, if it was a mag no problem walmart, coop pretty much anywhere has replacement pieces. Pelicans are also hard to find and one has failed me as well in that the end area cracked like a half open can. Another thought is what happens when your 100+$ flashlight need batteries? (such as surefire or streamlight) lithium batteries dont last as long and are 10$ a piece ......aa bateries are what maybe a buck or two. Having a 100$ flashlight lost on a FX would really piss me off too , a 15$ dollar maglight wouldnt really bother me. Just some simple thoughts as other have covered the proformance of various lighting systems. 

Either Streamlight Scorpion (lithium), Strion (rechargable) We use these in ERT or Surefire.

They are 6 of one and a half dozen of the other! In my experience though, the Surefire batteries don't seem to last as long as the Streamlight.

For weapons lights, we use Surefire although we are getting a bunch of M3 Streamlights so it will be interesting to see how they work out.

Surefires and the Lithium batteries for them are in the system.

I have four SF lights on my kit two G2's (one is none concept) a M1 IR light (good for quadding at nigth  ;) ) and a Aviator (I like the red LED option).  One G2 I have on my at all times ties to my belt - the other G2 is my "loaner" - you knwo someone always needs a light  ::) and did not bring their own - and I won't lend out the Aviator so...

Best thing to do is get kit supported by the system -- I am sure if our pleabian Army types can get SF lights the Airforce must be willign to shell out for some too.

FWIW the Helmet mounted M1 (or similar non IR light) might work for you if your whirlybird bound a lot - not sure what the AF thinks of drilling helmets though

M1lightmount.jpg

I mounted the M1 after coming to the conclusion the IR "Light" on the NVG's was worthless and I wanted to see what was upahead in certain circumstances - plus one of the US Delta guys did it first - and I am like a pretty blatant copy cat off some of their ideas (I swear he ever regrets giving me his email...)

KevinB said:
plus one of the US Delta guys did it first - and I am like a pretty blatant copy cat off some of their ideas (I swear he ever regrets giving me his email...)

Dear Kevin,

Please quit spamming my email with flashlight questions - we are busy taking Kim Jong Il down.

Team America, World Police (Fuck Yeah!)

I picked up some little light form Lebaron, 5 white LED and 1 red in the centre.  Alumium housing and 3 AAA batteries.  I am happy so far, It is blinding and has lasted a long time so far.  I don;t need this mental blinding light that a lot of you need, just enough to work sights and check ammo.  I still really like my head lamp for almost all work I do, I just need to buy the Tacktika to get the flip up red filter instead of changing lenses on it.

I suppose the answer here is that there are a number of applicable solutions which vary, depending on need.   Soemtimes you need a little and sometimes you need a lot.   Being a bit of a gearhead I have 6 lights in my kit and use all of them fairly extensively, once again based on need and mission.

1.      Surefire L2 LED (dual mode) - an hour of super bright light and several hours of lesser light (also have a red filter for this one);
            2.      Surefire C2 Centurion           - once again about 75 minutes of super bright light, then... nothing (blue filter for this one) admiittedly used very infrequently, but if you need to shut someone down with white light, this is the one;
            3.      Inova X5 (5 green LED's)      - lasts about 5 hrs of really useful light and another 2-4 hrs of "sorta" useful light (map reading/tgt plotting etc).   The neat thing about this is that when your Lithium DL123's won't drive your Surefire anymore, you still get about 2 hrs of good light out of this with them.   See - recycling... the environmentally friendly army.
            4.      Streamlight Stylus                - one each red and white - pen-sized and really handy for a lot of things...
            5.      Petz TacTikka                     -      probably used the most of any of them... 'nuff said

I get Lithium batteries from Surefire for $15 USD/dozen and usually buy them 6-8 dozen at a time (usually end up selling some off to other guys at work or the unit...).

For all of those guys out there who are going to say "Why do you need all of that BRIGHT light, I'm in the north (you know, the other side of the Ontario road map - and no, Toronto and the south is nowhere near as big as Northern Ontario, even though they both take up one side of a mapsheet!!!) and our unit gets requested AT LEAST a couple times a year to assist in SAR for lost hunters/fishermen/small children/mushroom pickers/sheep shaggers/dope-growing hippies (pick one) who have become geographically embarassed and did not report in to home station when required.   Being in the dark sucks.   Being in the dark wi9thout a light sucks more...

Blake

For more information than you ever wanted to know about flashlights: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/

CR123A lithium cells at US$1 each: http://www.batterystation.com/cpf.htm

and some neat stuff:
http://www.countycomm.com/CPFMASTER.htm

Allan.

M6X..... nice units, not so nice price.... but something to add to your wish list

"More Powerful. More Durable. More Options. The all new MIL-spec design and construction of the M6X Tactical Laser Illuminator takes tactical lighting and target acquisition to the next level. The M6X offers new windage and elevation adjusters that provide outstanding boresight retention. The Shock Suppression Systemâ„¢ built into the new M6X protects the xenon-filled incandescent lamp from the abuse of recoil and impact. Insight's patented Slide-Lockâ„¢ interface allows instant, tool-free mounting and removal from any tactical pistol or shoulder-fired weapon equipped with rails or a rail adapter.
- The penetrating power of 125 peak Lumens
- Military-proven visible aiming laser
- Waterproof to 20m/66ft
- Insight's proven ambidextrous rocker switch
- Optional backplates provide interchangeable switching to suit operator preference
- Fits most tactical pistols and shoulder-fired weapons"

Back