• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Army and Rugby

Oh Dear! :boring:
The SENIOR service has been playing Union since forever. Need some players or some expertise? GO NAVY!

hooky  ;D

haha, that's random I'm in about half of those pictures. Can't make practice tomorrow though, stupid early timings.

A wee story if I might!

During a visit to Thailand back in the early 70's our ships rugby team was tasked to play the RTN officer cadet rugby team. Well consider a bunch of 17-19 year old Thais playing a bunch of beery old Canadian sailors in the tropics. We were getting walloped (suprised? :)). During a break in the game a mate of mine sat down next to me and he was absolutely knackered. I said to Dusty Miller "how is it going"? and he replied, between pants: "If I catch that little son of a bitch (No. 17) I will sit on him and kill him"!
Right after he spoke a bunch of staff cars showed up at the pitch and out climbed several metric tonnes of Royal Thai Navy Braid and our skipper and his flunkey.
The skipper came over and congratulated us for such a valiant effort (officer speak for getting the crap thumped out of us) and then he suprised us by saying that he wasnt terribly concerned if we didnt win. He paused for effect and then said " One of the officer cadets your playing against is ...the crown prince of Thailand"! His number? yep you guessed it ...No. 17. I turned and looked at Petty Officer Miller and got the sickest smile I have ever seen. :-\

Hooky

R031button said:
haha, that's random I'm in about half of those pictures. Can't make practice tomorrow though, stupid early timings.

Don't tell my wife but my back is feeling better, so I should be out tomorrow morning.

Dave

This rugby thing is going great, with lots of participation and interest.  Well done Dave.  But I think we, the Bde, should partner it up with an inter unit cricket comp.  Bloody marvellous game, and a nice break from rugger on those really hot days.  What say you?

Kiwi99 said:
This rugby thing is going great, with lots of participation and interest.  Well done Dave. 

Let's see if it lasts...although if we play one game of military rugby on the base this year, I will have achieved my aim.  BTW, we have a practice with St Albert next week to tune us up for the game on the 27th.

But I think we, the Bde, should partner it up with an inter unit cricket comp.  Bloody marvellous game, and a nice break from rugger on those really hot days.  What say you?

:-X

33 players from most Edm based units (25 of them from 1 VP) played 80 minutes of rugby today.  A huge success.  Beer for the spectators (lots of them - CO 1 VP made it a Bn pde), lots of good rugby, few injuries.  Overall, a success - rugby is back in edm Garrison.

I hurt in places I forgot I had - I will be 45 in a few weeks, and played all but 5 mins.  That is why they invented beer....

Well done to all that came out.  More rugby in August.

Dave

PPCLI Guy said:
Overall, a success - rugby is back in edm Garrison.

That is awesome to hear! Especially when It looks like I'm getting posted to Edmonton around the tail end of summer!

I can't wait to get back into some Rugger!

I only wish I could be so lucky. Here in Valcartier we have no military rugby team. As a matter of fact in Quebec city there is only one rugby club, I play with them and last year I played with the Quebec provincial team, I am not playing this year however due to my upcoming tour. Rugby is not near as big in the east as it is in Alberta and BC.

Chimo!

Slimjim,
When I 1st started playing rugby in Quebec, there were +/- 8 groups that fielded 1 or 2 teams apiece.
Just visited the Quebec Rugby union web site - currently +/- 60 teams going at present....

It's a sport that is still developing ....

geo,
I understand and I know that there are many team in the Province of Quebec, however I am talking about Quebec City. At this moment there is just CRQ (Club Rugby Quebec) in Quebec city, we have to travel to Montreal and cities around Montreal to play, or even down to Ottawa, even as far as Kingston, yes there are lots of teams to play against, however its the traveling that is no fun...

100% in agreement with you Slim
Oddly, I think that the revival of Canadian Football within the Franco community has delayed the adoption of Rugby within the school athletic program.  10 -15 yewars ago, football was dead in Quebec - Alouettes included.  Larry Smith and his friends borrowed a page from Saskatchewan's grass roots support of their team when they brought back the Als.  Collegiate football was limited to the anglo universities back then..... now all Franco universities have their football teams - fed by a CEGEP program - fed by a High School program.

One success at the cost of another.

PPCLI Guy et all in Edmonton;

Do you know if anyone is looking at getting a base rugby league going again in the following year?

I've been gauging interest in my unit, and we have a handful that have played before, and a bunch who haven't but show an interest.

If it's going to happen, I'd be interested in possibly setting up a team.

First off, 1 VP is hosting a Snow Sevens Tournament on the weekend of 17/18 Feb.  It will be both military and civilian, Rugby Rons and Rugby Rhondas.  I am trying to get a Garrison team together, but may have missed the deadline - more to follow.  At the very least, we will try and put together a "Test Side" to play the ARU 3rds or 2nds.

PM me your work coordinates and I will have the 1 VP Rugby OPIs get hold of you.

Dave
Third String Second Row on the First Battalion team

PPCLI Guy said:
First off, 1 VP is hosting a Snow Sevens Tournament on the weekend of 17/18 Feb.  It will be both military and civilian, Rugby Rons and Rugby Rhondas.  I am trying to get a Garrison team together, but may have missed the deadline - more to follow.  At the very least, we will try and put together a "Test Side" to play the ARU 3rds or 2nds.

PM me your work coordinates and I will have the 1 VP Rugby OPIs get hold of you.

Dave
Third String Second Row on the First Battalion team

Sounds good. PM Inbound.

Des

Fast skinny guy aka. Wing

PPCLI Guy said:
Old slow guy who used to be fast - but I am super mean, and big like house.

Ummm.... isn't that supposed to be a Prop?

Back