• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Army and Rugby

nope, props are short and wide, second rowers slightly taller and less wide, #8 is a two story brick shit house.  Locks are just plain mean, fast and hard,  here endeth Introduction to Forward Pack Anatomy 101... ;D

short and squat?..... I don't resemble that!

The front three should resemble three pit ponies lined up at a fence rail... about the same combined IQs as well.

And if they have a nose that's made of glass...

fuggedabboddit.

After 80 min, they'll bleed like sieves and snore like champs...

Short & squat hooker?.... nah!

WRT Props being like pit ponies?.... yeah - OK, I can live with that

Short is a relative term. When you have a #8 at around the 6'6 mark, short comes in at around the 6' area.  but I'm probably wrong...

nope.... 6'1".... right on the money....  The hooker was light(er) and a couple of inches shorter - the better to have some dangle room ...

Then again, you probably know Rugby more than I do :)

6'4" and 225.  I play 2nd row on experienced teams, and #8 on less experienced teams.

Define experianced?  Or should that read on 'seniors teame'?  Damn, now he is gonna work me on the pitch!!!  Thank God for crse in Gagetown.

1 VP will be hosting a Social Snow Sevens Rugby Tournament at CFB Edmonton at the Rugby Pitch just south of the 1 VP lines on 16 Feb 08

The event will be very low-key, and will stress the social side of the game as well as its other obvious manly attributes.  All Edmonton Area units have been invited to submit a team (or even two) of 7-10 players, male or female (all must be serving members).  Team report in (and opening of the bar) will occur at 0900 hrs on the 16th.  We will play throughout the day, with the finals concluded by 1600 hrs.  The bar will be open throughout the tournament in order to accentuate the social side of the event.  A post tourney bash will then crack on until the wee hours.

All that teams require are jerseys of some sort (hockey is fine), warm clothes, and cash for the bar.  A warming tent / change tent / bar tent will be provided.  There is no registration fee.  Bring balls (of the rugby variety) if you have them - otherwise the First Battalion will provide.  Spectators are encouraged to attend.

The intent of this tournament is to provide an opportunity for military rugby players to get out and have a bit of a fun.  Hopefully, this will be the genesis of a Garrison Rugby Team that can compete in the Edmonton Rugby Union in the summer.

So far Sigs and Svc Bn have committed to providing a team - for all of the rest of you, your COs and Ops O all received a version of the above message, but the word doesn't seem to be gatting out. 

Ready to answer all questions.

Dave

Indeed, Sigs will be providing a team for sure, and very possibly 2 now, as I have numerous names.

Here's a question for you. We only have a handful of experienced players. Would we be able to sub between the two teams?

Sure - if you wish.  We are trying to put in 3 teams, and trust me - the third team (I am on it as the token experienced guy) ain't that hot!  This is not about winning (as much as it pains me to say) - this is about playing rugby, with Army guys (and gals - our 2nd team is captained by a female maintainer), and hence enhancing the whole Army lifestyle.

And maybe, just maybe, garnering some interest in a Garrison team?  ;)

Snow Sevens in 4 days, and am I ever psyched! Looks like I'll be playing FB....not my usual wing.

Great - see you Saturday at 0900 - first beer, followed by briefing, and first game at 1000 hrs.

Well, the tournament ran, and IMHO, was a HUGE success. Plenty of fun, lot's of good rugby, and it's always great to hear someone who's never played the game say "that was AWESOME, how did I never play before?"

Had a great time, thanks to PPCLI_Guy and the guy's who set it up, and like PPCLI_Guy said at the brief, it just goes to show "You CAN play rugby in the Army"

Sigs came in at third place! And I played a brand new position at Scrum Half!

Does anyone know if Pet has any unit or Bgde sides ?

I have a sneaky feeling Pet will be my next posting...

Back