• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Army and Rugby

Im avid and capable rugby player, having played for approx 14 years at high calibre.

When I get into the Forces ( I know it sounds cocky , please bear with me) I want to continue my rugby playing. So if you need a scrum half/ fly half, wing or hooker I should be around. Who knows where ill be posted but if PPCLI has a club maybe ill make a posting request. ;D

I also feel that llike someone else had mentioned, that Rugby should be the "summer" sport for the armed forces. It has so much to offer, and could be done right if there is enough interest in the armed forces community.

I would kill to get back into Rugby right now. I started in high school and grew to love it. Hopefully some day down the road I can get back into it again.

Yesterday a 15's invitational game was played in Edmonton.  The players were predominantly from 1 and 3 PPCLI, but included a strong contingent from 1 CER, and representatives from 1 Fd Amb and other units in the garrison.  In total, 40 players enjoyed 60 minutes of Rugby, which was the culminating point of the 1 PPCLI Sports Day.

Prior to the start of the match, CO 1 PPCLI recalled that in last year's 15's invitational, Capt Jon Snyder was a keen and skilled participant.  This year's game was dedicated to the memory of Capt Jon Snyder, and was named the first Annual Jon Snyder Memorial 15's Game.  We all shared a sip of single malt scotch as we recalled Jon's warrior spirit.  It was a beautiful statement of the relationship between Rugby and the Warrior Ethos of the Army.

The game was a lot of fun, and was played in a spirit of healthy competition and sheer joy of playing Rugby.  Hopefully, I will be able to visit Edmonton to play in next year's memorial game.

Dave
Second row and oldest player on the pitch

Good to hear Dave
A fitting title to the "annual 15s game.

His name liveth forever more

Hey great stuff, I was in the dental corps. i was 26 when i graduated and was posted to halifax. I was a single lad and starting tog et back into shape. I saw some guys running about on the infield of the track. i wandered over and asked what it was....That saturday i saw my first game, and I was in it. A second row.  I played for 6 years and had a ball, Played on the west coast on a tour ( Man it was duty and not leave..i had died and gone to heaven :) ). Then for the Montreal Irish and in cyprus i was the only Canadian on the UN team from Nicosia, we played twice a week. had a great time, wonderful social life..so go for it guys :)

Most were not born when i played :) One timein 72 i was in Cyprus and one of thelads in teh RCR had a few friends in Montreal on exercise, they got a team up and "dropped "in for a game. They asked thelads to clear the field and jumped out of buffalos :)

Dr Mike said:
Most were not born when i played :) One timein 72 i was in Cyprus and one of thelads in teh RCR had a few friends in Montreal on exercise, they got a team up and "dropped "in for a game. They asked thelads to clear the field and jumped out of buffalos :)

Geez,

Even I was born by then!! And, at least one of them was driving by then.  ;)

Thanks for reminding me of age though ...  :(

:D

Not THAT old Vern & Dr Mike... I was playing rugby in the QRU (TMR) back in 69-70....

geo said:
Not THAT old Vern & Dr Mike... I was playing rugby in the QRU (TMR) back in 69-70....

69-70 eh?

I was around then too.  :mad:

(Not yet toilet trained --- but never-the-less around).

Not toilet trained ?  >:D Vern, you lil devil 8)

have to admit I was dedefinitively the youngest player on the team - but it didn,t matter, cause I certainly wasn't the smallest member of the team. 

I was extremely popular - playing prop on  7's tournaments.

Halifax Tar said:
Does anyone know if Pet has any unit or Bgde sides ?

I have a sneaky feeling Pet will be my next posting...

don't know about brigade. but the teams were just folded last week due to lack on intrest apparently.
oh well, at least I got a game in this year.

I'm going to be in Meaford and Pet for pre-deployment training this fall.

I know of one other rugger going with so if anyone knows of any rugby going on we could get into let me know! 

In the past I have played for the Petawawa Stags, who were also part of the Deep River Blues (Third Div Eastern Ontario).  They may still be around.  If you are in to Rugby slutting, you can usually get a game any Saturday at Twin Elms in Ottawa.

Two weeks from now is my first game with the Poltroons, an Old Boys Club in Washington DC.  Should be a hoot - and a good way to celebrate turning 47...

Dave

Aw man, if there's rugby in the army I might as well sign a 25 year contract now  :salute:

PPCLI Guy said:
In the past I have played for the Petawawa Stags, who were also part of the Deep River Blues (Third Div Eastern Ontario).  They may still be around.  If you are in to Rugby slutting, you can usually get a game any Saturday at Twin Elms in Ottawa.

Two weeks from now is my first game with the Poltroons, an Old Boys Club in Washington DC.  Should be a hoot - and a good way to celebrate turning 47...

Dave

Ya its seems there isnt much noise coming out of this area these days about rugby. The stags seem to be a soccer team now and DRB are now the Upper Ottawa Valley RFC with no one returning emails... God I hope I never get posted to this waste land nothingness and zero rugby!

Sam 45 said:
Aw man, if there's rugby in the army I might as well sign a 25 year contract now  :salute:

It really depends on where your posted. I'm hearing that Edmonton has a thriving military rugby community. Pet seems to be empty and well here in Halifax there is none as well but there is a good civi league to play in so that makes up for it. It seems most cites have something, all except pet....

Does anyone know if this sport is on the restricted sports list??? I have heard that they play rugby at RMC but I havent really heard of it being anywhere else. I know that some bases have teams but I dont know if there directly supported through the CF. If anyone has any idea please post.

Rugby is not on the restricted sports list.  RMC has a team and while I am not aware of any other CF sponsored team, there are tons of players all over the CF that participate in local rugby unions. 

No CF team other then RMC though ohwell guess it means I do this sport on my own time. Thank you

Back