• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The need for tactical highly visible rank (From:Re-Royalization)

The same can be said about our red and white Canadian flags that we wear in garrison, vis a vis our green (subdued) ones we wear in the field.

Edit to add the following:

canada_flags_zoom.jpg

Well, everyone in my unit just got issued high visibility name tags. They seem nicer than the subdued one.

Sadukar09 said:
They seem nicer than the subdued one.
That tends to be one of the key factors written into military procurement.  :nod:

Journeyman said:
That tends to be one of the key factors written into military procurement.  :nod:

Let's not forget the "local industry" effect.  :p

Technoviking said:
The same can be said about our red and white Canadian flags that we wear in garrison, vis a vis our green (subdued) ones we wear in the field.

Edit to add the following:

canada_flags_zoom.jpg
When do you wear the pink(subdued) one?

WeatherdoG said:
As an outsider with no vested interest in the discussion I think Technoviking explained the argument for wearing high vis ranks in garrison perfectly. Realistically, will wearing white ranks and nametags really affect cam and concealment while standing in line at the BOR, or Tim's?  Lets face it, most people wearing CADPAT to work every day don't need to be worried about being seen in the field.

It does make it harder to blend in with the plants and shrubberies though. :camo:

cupper said:
It does make it harder to blend in with the plants and shrubberies though. :camo:

There is truly nothing worse than standing out when in the corner hiding from the boss because your blue/white rank insignia isn't sufficiently subdued enough to blend in.... I had to write so many extra course reports because of that when I was at the school... >:D

daftandbarmy said:
Insignia, e.g. rank insignia, should be subdued (dark/black as opposed to bright colors), ...
Of course, sometimes black is not very subdued.

We are wearing Red and White flags on this tour over in the sandbox ……………… but subdued Rank!!!! ???

Tank Troll said:
We are wearing Red and White flags on this tour over in the sandbox ……………… but subdued Rank!!!! ???

"A taste for irony has kept more hearts from breaking than a sense of humor, for it takes irony to appreciate the joke which is on oneself."

Jessamyn West

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/irony.html#TXVGOI5ZZxmQ5BGQ.99

MCG said:
Of course, sometimes black is not very subdued.

To be fair, this summer, our Aussie coy commander had black pips on his cmbts and I couldn't see them past 15 meters. The fact that I was usually prone and struggling to not fall asleep might have had something to do with it though.

Here are some Parachute Regiment Officer's pips.

Of course, we were always realistic about this whole 'war' thing and more concerned about getting slotted by our own side (mostly Septic Tanks)  than by the real bad guys  ;D

daftandbarmy said:
Here are some Parachute Regiment Officer's pips.

Of course, we were always realistic about this whole 'war' thing and more concerned about getting slotted by our own side (mostly Septic Tanks)  than by the real bad guys  ;D

Can you post a better picture? They don't show up well against the background.  ;D

Inky said:
To be fair, this summer, our Aussie coy commander had black pips on his cmbts and I couldn't see them past 15 meters. The fact that I was usually prone and struggling to not fall asleep might have had something to do with it though.

Capt Lebreton?

"2.  Enhanced Visibility Insignia (EVI).
  a.  Slip-Ons (Current CADPAT).  As stocks of the current rank slip-ons (green thread) are depleted, new stock will include EVI threaded versions through stock attrition.
  b.  4’’ x 2” Canadian Flags.  These are the new flags for the ECU shirt.  Flags will only be issued when soldiers receive an ECU shirt. There will be 2 flags per shirt, one on each arm.
  c.  Name Tapes.  A National Standing Offer has been established for EVI name tapes.  As current green thread name tapes are still authorized for use, this distribution plan is not considered high    importance or vital to operations.  Direction has been sent to all Clothing Stores to begin the ordering process in accordance with the following schedule:
      (1)  1 Sep until 31 Oct 13:  1 Cdn Div HQ, CMTC and 3 Cdn Div (COMPLETE);
      (2)  1 Nov 13 until 31 Dec 13:  CADTC (Kingston Units)  and 4 Cdn Div;
      (3)  1 Jan 14 until 28 Feb 14:  2 Cdn Div; and
      (4)  1 Mar 14 until 30 Apr 14:  CTC and 5 Cdn Div.
  d.  Rank Patches for ECU.  This new patch will be stocked in EVI thread only and issued when soldiers receive ECU shirts.  No issue of this patch is expected before Jan 14 when ECU shirts begin to    be issued through attrition.
  e.  New Rank Patches and Insignia (as part of Army transformation and transformation to the Divisional structure)."

What I am reading from this is that the Enhanced visibility tapes will become "the norm".  There won't be a field vs garrison tape.  It'll be Hi-Vis or no vis.

"e.  New Rank Patches and Insignia (as part of Army transformation and transformation to the Divisional structure)."

I smell Div, Bde, and, possibly even, unit Cadpat badges acomin'

Bzzliteyr said:
  b.  4’’ x 2” Canadian Flags.  These are the new flags for the ECU shirt.  Flags will only be issued when soldiers receive an ECU shirt. There will be 2 flags per shirt, one on each arm.

Now that the flag is larger, why must we go from wearing 1 to 2*?  I'm pretty sure we'd be recognizable as Canadian if we continue to stick with wearing a flag on 1 arm.

*Referring to garrison wear,  not including the 1 small and 1 large IR flags we wore in Afganistan.

Back