• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The need for tactical highly visible rank (From:Re-Royalization)

dapaterson

Army.ca Dinosaur
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
High visibility ranks for tactical clothing.

Am I the only one to think that there's a foundational disconnect there?

And it will be photoluminescent so that there will be no confusion at night. ::)

Just to prevent confusion:  All officers will carry umbrellas.

bride3.jpg

dapaterson said:

Perhaps you may very well be. The Brits are already doing it:

Alternately, they do have black rank insignia for those special occasions during which headshots are not required:

dapaterson said:

They're for Garrison use from what I was told. So you don't jacked up for not addressing/saluting until the last possible moment

PrairieThunder said:
They're for Garrison use from what I was told. So you don't jacked up for not addressing/saluting until the last possible moment

The power points going around(that I've seen) make no mention of the high vis rank and name tapes being garrison only.

IMO, this is a non issue as when you are in the field/outside the wire your FPV, and tac vest/LBE covers all that up(if you are even wearing it).

I've seen some photos of troops wearing a patch on their sleeve in Afghanistan lately that has their rank; patches were subdued. Not sure if this is a issue item, or a CP Gear purchase, etc. If this is a issue patch, I assume it may be produced again for future deployments as requires.

-Skeletor- said:
I've seen some photos of troops wearing a patch on their sleeve in Afghanistan lately that has their rank; patches were subdued. Not sure if this is a issue item, or a CP Gear purchase, etc. If this is a issue patch, I assume it may be produced again for future deployments as requires.

Manufactured in Kabul (local purchase) for wear with the hybrid hot weather shirt, if it was any Op Attention pics you saw.

We already have a perfectly serviceable uniform with perfectly visible ranks.

And if officers are so insecure that a salute coming a fraction of a second later than they want is grounds for panic, we don't need high-vis ranks; we need better officers.

dapaterson said:
And if officers are so insecure that a salute coming a fraction of a second later than they want is grounds for panic, we don't need high-vis ranks; we need better officers.

This is one way the NCMs measure the worth of an officer. 

dapaterson said:

And would officers kindly stop saying "Thank you" when saluted; you are not receiving a gift.... :rage:

dapaterson said:

George Wallace said:

As a CIC officer I am loathe to get into the subject of paying compliments on this forum... and I agree with the first statement.

However, the remainder seems to focus solely on the perspective of compliments paid to "insecure" officers by NCMs.
I don't know if there's any question that the NCMs can't see that a slip-on has an officer's bars vice chevrons.
So NCMs may not figure directly into this.
However, from the officer's POV the paying of compliments to fellow officers requires you do some extra observation: recognize how many bars there are, and whether they're narrow or broad etc.
While IMHO this additional filtering doesn't support the hi-vis ranks on operational clothing and clearly does not merit any panic, I wouldn't call it insecurity.

Having said that, obviously NCOs are stakeholders in this "issue".
In fact, working in a busy armoury, I note that quite often the LCol I'm saluting isn't waited with bated breath to see if I'm paying compliments as I pass... but the CWO at his elbow is watching me like a hawk.

George Wallace said:

In my armories, we have a rule that once you're in the place and at your unit, the headress comes off and stays off except for parades.

We have a consensus amongst all ranks that there is far too much saluting when troops should be training etc.

That does not mean proper compliments are not paid.

Thucydides said:
And would officers kindly stop saying "Thank you" when saluted; you are not receiving a gift.... :rage:

I guess some of them have a different take on what "shall acknowledge" means.  ;D

I worked at a cadet camp this summer as one of a handful of NCMs, with 72 officers.

I told the RSM, "I would be damned if my arm was tied to my head all summer".

I paid respects as required, but I went to great lengths in chosing meal times,
changing into civies and other known methods to reduce the need to salute all the time.

kratz said:
I worked at a cadet camp this summer as one of a handful of NCMs, with 72 officers.

changing into civies and other known methods to reduce the need to salute all the time.

That's weak.

Officers are usually quite outnumbered by the troops and are constantly returning salutes; probably much more often then you ever have to give one.

Quite frankly being saluted is not a big ego boost thing and by far the most of us would just as soon not have to be returning salutes all the time. But we do it. Its the expected and the right thing to do.

:salute:

kratz said:

Well 72 does seem a little high especially if they're so concentrated that you're routinely running into them... but I can't speak for camps and their logic. (Although I expect the ratio sounds off because the bulk of positions were filled by Staff cadets not CAF NCMs and really that's a good thing as the msn is their development.)

Still... 72... one would hope taking headdress off inside your work place + "once in the morning" etc. would cut down the arm exercise for all involved and keep the focus on trg and tasks at hand. But, it sounds like you had the matter well in hand with some tactful and sound methods.

Anyway, as a sidenote, let me express thanks to you for taking that tasking in support of the camp. Aside from the experience and skill set you contributed, the cadets' positive interaction with CAF personnel outside the CIC is of incalculable benefit to the program.

FJAG said:
Quite frankly being saluted is not a big ego boost thing and by far the most of us would just as soon not have to be returning salutes all the time. But we do it. Its the expected and the right thing to do.

+1 there.

The numbers are accurate, I maintained them.

It was a regional gliding school, so almost all the instructors were officers.

Somewhere like Vernon camp will have at least 100 CIC officers on garrison at any given time.

It's bit of a nightmare sometimes.

Back