• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Reserve Thread- A Merged Collection of Q & A's

So let me get this straight ...

Judging by the nasty replies, several of you seem to think the only people who deserve the join the Reserves are those who can take unlimited amounts of time off in the summer (i.e. anybody with a fulltime job/career need not apply).

Sorry - I do not agree. If we still accept the concept of a mixed, balanced force (i.e. the all-arms combat team/battle group/combat brigade group/division, etc.), then why would we want to limit enrolment into the Militia to solely students or unemployed bums (... unless the REAL Reg Force agenda is to only generate more cannon fodder ...)?

Just wondering ...
(and, I just thought better of saying something inflammatory, but decided to bide my tongue - no use pissing anybody off with ignorant comments)

Well Bossi, people wanting to join should be ready for the commitment. Basic trg, QL2-3, is essential and very minimal in the reserves. anything less would be a waste of time. I am not saying people should be ready for a full time commitment, but basic trg is certainly a period for which people should be ready for a sacrifice. If they can‘t do it, maybe it‘s just the wrong time in their life or it is simply too late!!! We shouldn‘t take everyone just because they wanna join. :cdn:

Good point; much more articulately stated than some of the previous ones ...

As I have stated ad nauseum (and thanks bossi for backing my view), I have no problem with committing time to res f trg. In fact, as a federal gov‘t employee, my time is paid for by the department (and thus, the public) anyway!

When customs sent me to Quebec for 9 weeks, that was fine. The facilities there were quit comfortable and keeping in touch with home to make sure bills/mortgage was paid was not a problem. Frequent travel weekends permitted me to return home to attend to the inevitable emergencies that homeownership entails. Another compelling thing is that had I not done the course, my $43,000-a-year job would disappear and I‘d be on the dole, and therefore, homeless.

For the army, I can also commit time. However, like many full-time workers, 3 solid months all in one go is a lot to ask, just to meet the minimum level of qualification.

I am hoping that they can work with me on this a little. Otherwise I will have to do the courses on weekends, as was my original plan anyway.

It would be great if I could just up and leave for 3 months again this summer, but it ain‘t gonna work, unless I can maintain frequent communication (and their cost) to my home, and have visitors (my girlfriend would quite rightly kill me if I left town for that long).

Perhaps the army is looking for younger people, or students who have summers off. But I don‘t think so. This is why they have weekend courses in the first place. Had they gotten their act together sooner I‘d be on one already. As it is I am pleased with how fast (slow?) my recruiting went, and can at least worry about the next challenge (BMQ, etc.) when it arises.

I kind of sympathise. It is alot harder for older guys with kids, jobs, and bills to join up. You really do have to start young. This is when a bit more government support is required. Im not asking for new equipment, aircraft uniforms, weapons or what ever. Just some legislation for job protection and help (time wise, financial help is on the way)for post secondary students. I remember filling out recently a survey for just such a request. I do not think that courses should be rearranged though. You really cant nor should do it on weekends. This stuff is the basics and is suppose to be enough to keep you alive if they #hit ever hit the fan. That kind of training you cannot skimp on. Military training should be service for the country. Any benefit I get out of it is secondary.

3 months for ql2/3 seens a bit long. Unless they changed ql2 it should be at most 4 weeks while ql3 is also amost 6 weeks. So that would make it 10 weeks = a bit over 2 months.
As for SQ I‘m not sure how that goes, as I started my ql3 prior to change in course layout.
As far as I can gather SQ would just be two weeks (?, equivalent to block one ql3 engr.) in which we learned about the c-6,-c9, mn-72, m-67(?)frag. grenade, and the carl g. As for other trades I will assume that it would be the same (some one pls correct me if I‘m wrong! :) )

Originally posted by Fus:
[qb]You really cant nor should do it on weekends. This stuff is the basics and is suppose to be enough to keep you alive if they #hit ever hit the fan. That kind of training you cannot skimp on. Military training should be service for the country. Any benefit I get out of it is secondary.[/qb]
I hear what you are saying, Fus, and I agree that, generally, training (for anything, not just the military) shouldn‘t be cut-down or made too brief.

But let‘s be frank here. You don‘t need 4 solid weeks to learn how to march on a parade square, or use basic first-aid, or learn military policy, laws, etc.

A first aid course, with CPR, takes a weekend. Basic marching shouldn‘t take more than 2 or 3 (getting GOOD at it might be a different story, but learning how to form up isn‘t rocket science). Ok, yeah fieldcraft might take some time (like, time out in a field perhaps!), military laws & policies can be taught in a day or two in a classroom. Nothing in BMQ is over complicated, by the sounds of it. Perhaps I‘m just obstinate, but I don‘t buy the argument that a BMQ is better/worse because it was broken up and not all done at once.

I spent 9 weeks at Rigaud learning how to be a customs officer, and I learned more in the 3 years I did the job BEFORE I went to Rigaud, than I did during those 9 solid weeks. I still attend courses, regularly, that improve my job-related knowledge and skills, having just finished a two-day course on contraband interdiction today (on my own time, no less). Training should never stop. It should be ongoing, always.

Don‘t start making too many assumptions, as you‘ll find you might be in for a shock....

Probably not though, as there is no standards anymore and your more mature than the average 18 year old recruit. But don‘t underestimate the importance of Basic Training. This is not an ordinary civil service job you will be taking on.

Unfortunately, the CF does not seem to recognize the importance of Basic in the socialization of recruits into the institution of the military Basic training, marching and all, plays such an intergral part in developing a soldier as a trained killer. The Marine Corps has it right, as Parris Island is a real formative event for a Marine recruit. We treat ours like just another course; breaking it down over weekends, treating it as (I‘ve seen both) a high school credit course and a Native youth program. Its discipline and esprit de corps that are key, not so much the skills, as like you said those are truly developed later.

PG, why in God‘s name did you not choose the QOR as your unit of choice? You, via geography, have a potential shot at being in the only Reserve Jump unit in the CF.
No knock on the 48th (my fireteam partner on course was headed for the 48th, and was a good soldier and friend), but holy **** man, you‘d have a guaraunteed jump slot, assuming you aren‘t a bag.

Originally posted by portcullisguy:

But let‘s be frank here. You don‘t need 4 solid weeks to learn how to march on a parade square, or use basic first-aid, or learn military policy, laws, etc.

A first aid course, with CPR, takes a weekend. Basic marching shouldn‘t take more than 2 or 3 (getting GOOD at it might be a different story, but learning how to form up isn‘t rocket science). Ok, yeah fieldcraft might take some time (like, time out in a field perhaps!), military laws & policies can be taught in a day or two in a classroom. Nothing in BMQ is over complicated, by the sounds of it. Perhaps I‘m just obstinate, but I don‘t buy the argument that a BMQ is better/worse because it was broken up and not all done at once.

[/QB]
hmm. Don‘t make assumptions here.
I did my QL2 over weekends and March Break, and see nothing wrong it done this way for the Reserves.
As I recall, one weekend was devoted entirely to First Aid, your right there. Drill takes forever - 45mins for attention and stand at ease, and that‘s just the beginning... I think I spent most of a day over March break doing "ground arms". There are a lot of boring basics you have to cover, but they‘re essential. I think drill and C7 will take more time than you think, and ranges can easily swallow a couple days. When i did it a few years ago, most topics were sread out - a period of drill, a period of C7, a period of military law, etc.
By the time you add up all the classroom and hands-on time, and then add testing time, it amounts to a decent stretch. Plus the old Army favourite of cock. Peronally, I think the Army should be emphasizing the military culture and "breaking you down" more than it seems to in my exerience, but I‘ll leave decisions like that to better men (who have more experience teaching)than I.

If I were you I would have defintley gone to the QOR - simply because they jump, and no one else does.

<snip>Peronally, I think the Army should be emphasizing the military culture and "breaking you down" more than it seems to in my exerience,

Exactly, the purpose of basic training is not just to push all of this information into your head but to change you as an individual. Of course you can learn military law/rank structure, etc. in a classroom in a few sessions. You will. But, the point is to instill the feeling of teamwork within a section/platoon, whatever.

The great feeling is not spitting out the rank structure in two seconds flat or grounding arms perfectly; its doing it with people you have spent time with, respect, are sorry to leave and probably never see again and, 10 years down the road, know you can call them anytime for help.

That is the military that I knew.

The most important part of basic trg these days is TEAMWORK !!! To build an effective team spirit, the group needs to have experienced hardship. You cannot build a team when everyone goes home for the night, or the week... you need to live , clean the common areas, pack your kit together. You need to know those around you as if they were family. You need to find each other‘s strengths and weaknesses and help each other out. You can‘t do all that over 6 weekends... :cdn:

Hey guys, im new to this site. I am really excited about joining the CF. I had my interview,aptitude, and medical, and now am awaiting my medical to come back from Ottawa i think? Well anyway, I have been waiting for about 1 1/2 months, and still havent heard anything, so I phoned and they told me it was to take another 3 or 4 months! wow! I didnt know that processing took so long? If you have any info, id be glad to hear it.

I think there is a BMQ course up in Meaford starting June... I‘m not sure. Then you can get SQ and MOC Infantry in July and August.

Too late to start weekend courses now, I suppose.

Hi All

I formerly served with the Seaforth Highlanders (1993), and have been trying to re-join this year. I placed in my papers this May, and the Seaforths have requested a VFS to find out my history. I had no idea it would be such a delayed process getting back in! I discovered CFRC Vancouver is so understaffed, and the budget is so tight, it could be up to 13 months before I can parade. I would really like to be involved now though, while I wait for this processing. Does this actually happen? Can I still be involved before I am processed? is anyone else out there facing this same situation? :crybaby: :cdn:

Re-enrolments do take longer than uncomplicated "normal" recruitment processes, in particularly because of the extra bureaucracy of processing the requests of Verification of Former Service (VFS).

Until your file has cleared the CFRC and the unit swears you in, you cannot parade or train with them. This is primarily driven by liability issues, and let‘s face it, you do not want to risk getting injured when there‘s no formal employment relationship. Look at the problems soldiers that have been injured while on duty have had in getting pension benefits if the paper‘s not completed correctly and in sufficient detail at the time of injury.

There is also no form of conditional enrolment allowing units to enrol recruits before their file is finalized by the CFRC.

Mike O‘Leary

Evergreen, from what I know is that if you have been out of the services for 5 years or more then you will have to redue your QL2 and your QL3. I am not positive on this but am pretty darn sure. So you will probably not be able to parade with your unit for awhile.

Andrew :bullet: :cdn: :bullet:

Thanks for all the feedback. I suppose the bureaucratic loop is part of this game anyway. I know I need to do the re-certs and all, but it would sure be helpful to streamline the process for former service personnel. I know the game, and am keen, thats all... :boring:

ducimus :cdn:

Evergreen,

I wouldn‘t worry too much. I think they give you such a long time line so you‘ll be ecstatic when it comes back earlier.

I just got my VFS back in just over a month. I really can‘t see it taking a YEAR and haven‘t heard of anyone being close to that long. If someone here has waited that long, I stand corrected.

Don‘t give up yet.

Andrew,

as I stated before...I stand corrected. I would have to believe that your paperwork was lost somewhere and was not the normal occurrence. I know several people who all had theirs returned within about a month or so. Something must have happened to yours.

Sorry to hear of your trouble.

Back