• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Reserve Thread- A Merged Collection of Q & A's

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Lets say I go and sign up soon. By the time i‘m accepted etc. and ready for training I may still be occupied with school. Will the army wait until I have free time to go away to Quebec for Basic? How much of the training can be done in sections that accomidates someone that is in school?

From reading your question, I‘m thinking that perhaps you may be a bit confused between the Regular and Reserve Force training and the commitment required of you. The Reserve Force is an involvement with the military on a "part-time" basis. The Reserves train one night a week and one weekend a month. As for going to Quebec for your "basic", I think you are confusing this with the Regular Force training. I am not all that familiar with Calgary, but I‘m fairly sure that they don‘t send their reservists to Quebec for their training. A lot of the Reserve Brigades perform their training locally, and in some instances, even on alternating weekends. You‘ll have to check with your recruiting centre or an Army Reserve unit in Calgary to get more detailed information on that.

As for the Army waiting for you to have free time before you do your training, the answer to that is no. If you can‘t do the training for whatever reason, you simply can‘t do it. The course will run with or without you, and YOU will have to wait for the Army‘s next course.

I‘d like to point out at this time that there is a new program within the CF that will reimburse a portion of tuition fees for those serving members who are enrolled at a Canadian post-secondary institution. The program will reimburse 50% of tuition or two thousand dollars each September to a total of $8000 to Primary Reserve members who are serving at the time. It is open to full or part-time students. You may want to ask the recruiting centre or the reserve unit about this program to see if you are eliglible.

Major Peters...This topic of reimbursement came up recently with some fellow soldiers of mine. Does this reimbursement apply for both College AND University as they are both considered post secondary education.

CANFORGEN 043/01 states:

"Be registered at a Canadian post-secondary institution:
1) for an officer, the university course of study must lead to an initial baccalaureate degree and be suitable for the P Res moc; or
2) for an NCM, any university course of study leading to an initial baccalaureate degree is eligible. As well, any post-secondary course formally recognized as an equivalency for the members MOC is eligible.

Hm. Interesting. Now that I read this thoroughly, this really sucks. They moan and drip about an educated officer corps, but it must relate to my MOC? I guess my attempt to get a degree and eventually a doctorate in geology does not equate to being educated because it doesn‘t relate to my Public Affairs classification. And why the heck would I want to go get a degree in something I already know about. Would it not be more beneficial for a person to broaden their knowledge base?

I‘m going to research this a bit more and get back to you.

I see. I thought that no matter if you were Reserve or Regular that we all had to do our training in Quebec. I thought I had read this somewhere, but perhaps I misintepreted it.

As for the Army waiting for you to have free time before you do your training, the answer to that is no. If you can‘t do the training for whatever reason, you simply can‘t do it. The course will run with or without you, and YOU will have to wait for the Army‘s next course.
So what would happen If I signed up and got in and everything and I was unable to go to that basic training course beacuse of a time constraint. I can just wait until the new course comes around with no trouble? That mean i‘ll be signed up and whatnot but could stil wait a few months before I actually get to do anything?

I‘ll also look into that new program. Thanks NMPeters.

I waited 3 months before I started my GMT (what it was then), just bobbed around the unit, observing what they did, whent on ex‘s and did jo jobs, just to get a feel for it. Yeah, so waiting for the next course date is not a problem.

As much as your unit want to get you through the basics for you to be qualified soldier on whatever trade you want, I‘ve seen guys who do only one or two of the basics and is holding off doing their other basic courses until next summer.

If you do want to start parading with your unit next fall as a fully qualified soldier, do expect to do Basic Military Qualification over weekends, and your SQ and MOC course in the summer.
Or you can always wait around and miss the fun. :)

I waited 3 months before I started my GMT (what it was then), just bobbed around the unit, observing what they did, whent on ex‘s and did jo jobs, just to get a feel for it. Yeah, so waiting for the next course date is not a problem.
Good to know. Thanks.

As much as your unit want to get you through the basics for you to be qualified soldier on whatever trade you want, I‘ve seen guys who do only one or two of the basics and is holding off doing their other basic courses until next summer.

If you do want to start parading with your unit next fall as a fully qualified soldier, do expect to do Basic Military Qualification over weekends, and your SQ and MOC course in the summer.
Or you can always wait around and miss the fun.
I see. The only real thing I was concerned about was that I wanted to wait until I was finished this year of school before I really got into it. I think I should be OK if I sign up soon and then start in spring/summer and continue on from there.

Out of curiosity, what courses will I need to take to become "a fully qualified soldier"? Just the Basic, SQ, and MOC? Also what do these stand for?

Your basics consist of 3 courses.
BMQ or Basic Military Qualification
SQ or Soldier Qualification
MOC or Military Occupation Career (this being whatever you want to be, ie infanteer, engineer, medic, etc)
Every new recruit does BMQ and SQ. Only MOC differs.

You can put your papers in now and ask that your training be done during summer months and come out with only BMQ and SQ, that being your choice. My unit lets people with BMQ and SQ qualification take part in unit exercises and stuff. I don‘t know about units in Calgary. They may just let you lounge around...

Sharpey:

The answer to your question regarding the education reimbursement is that community college courses will be reimbursed if the course relates directly to the military trade in which the person is employed.

University courses will be reimbursed regardless of trade or classification for both NCMs and officers.

Sharpey,
When you find the community college that teaches gunnery, radio procedure, afv driving, mine warefare, NBC or any of the other non civvie, unique jobs that relate to combat arms, let me know. :D Wouldn‘t want to miss out! ;)

Recceguy, that was just the laugh I needed after the day I had. I‘ll see if St. Clair offers Theory of Cougar Semi-Indirect Fire 101 and I‘ll let you know.

I am looking for info on the reserve namely, information on what is involved with persons who are working full time.
When the Res. is on Summer Training Course or on a Ex. where I may be away from my regular job for an extendid period of time ie (a week or more). Is there a provision that will allow me to do the reserve training and keep the job I have?

Unfortunatly at this time there is no job protection for us at this time. I heard that they "were" workin on that so maybe its just a matter of time. There is a dept within the CF that talks with employers and trys to work a deal with your boss. Cant recall what the dept was hopefully someone else will.

The organization that seeks out employer support for the Reserve Force is called the Canadian Forces Liaison Council. More information on the Council and how it can help you can be found at:

http://www.vcds.dnd.ca/cres_cdt/cflc/intro_e.asp

I think I read somewhere that the bill that provided job security for Reservists was passed in (at the least) House of Commons. I‘m pretty sure it passed and isn‘t still in the debating stage, although not sure if it has gone through the Senate yet.

If I remember correctly, the bill only provides protection for when the Reservists are called out for an emergency... There‘s no protection for training or for exercises.

The following is a basic outline of the contents of basic training for Reserve candidates:

Basic Military Qualification (Reserve)

Reserve Course duration: 20 training days plus administration time determined by the training establishment. Training day is considered 400 minutes - 10 x 40-minute periods.

Performance Objectives (PO) and Education Objectives (EdO):

a. PO 101 - Apply General Military Knowledge (Law of armed conflict; CF policies on substance abuse; Harassment and racism prevention; Physical security; Problem solving; Military policies, procedures, regulations and orders; CF policies on stress management and suicide prevention; Manage personal affairs);

b. PO 102 - Operate the Service Rifle;

c. PO 103 - Maintain Physical Fitness Proficiency; (Currently not included)

d. PO 104 - Perform Drill (Fundamentals of drill; Squad drill at the halt and on the march without arms);

e. PO 105 - Administer First Aid;

f. PO 106 - Field Training (Navigate cross-country; Recognize pyrotechnics; Use winter and summer field equipment; Conduct sentry duties; Communicate using a radio; Perform fieldcraft; Apply hygiene and sanitation in the field; Construct shelters);

g. PO 107 - Operate Under NBC Conditions (Describe the conditions of a NBC attack; React to a NBC attack; Perform survival drills);

h. PO 108 - Communicate Orally and in Writing (Prepare a memorandum; Communicate orally; Respond to media inquiries);

i. PO 109 - Maintain Safe Working Environment (Perform duties of fire picket; Prevent fires; Extinguish fires; Identify and correct unsafe working conditions);

j. EdO 101 - Identify Professional Development Concepts Affecting Military Personnel (CF career administrative actions; NCM professional development; Social support services available to the CF; CF involvement in national and international affairs; Organization and roles of Canada’s military; History of the CF and CF medals, orders and decorations; Concepts of leadership and followership; Acts supporting CF policies)

k. EdO 102 - Leadership in peace and war (Understand Leadership in peace and war; Describe the origin and history of the Canadian army)

Supplemental Performance Objectives

a. PO 101 - Apply general military knowledge (Describe the Law of Armed conflicts; CF policies on substance abuse; Maintain physical security, Problem solving; Adhere to military policies, procedures, regulations and orders; Comply with CF policies with regards to stress management and suicide prevention; Manage personal affairs)

b. PO 103 - Maintain physical fitness proficiency

c. PO 107 - Survive under NBC conditions

d. PO 108 - Communicate orally and in writing (Prepare a memorandum; Communicate orally; Respond to media inquiries)

great post.. but I‘m wondering why you said
this:

c. PO 103 - Maintain Physical Fitness Proficiency; (Currently not included)

why is it not currently included? As I understand
it, there is a Physical fitness test about 2 weeks
from the finish?

The documents I have show that it does not have allocated time within the specified 10 periods per day used for the course length calculation. That doesn‘t necessarily mean that you wouldn‘t be doing some physical training.

Michael is right. I am on BMQ 0203 right now. Although we do PT almost every morning, the course is run on weekends and they keep reminding us that doing intensive PT for an hour every 2-3 weekends is NOT doing PT, and may be doing more harm than good, unless we are also doing PT at home on our own time.

Throughout the course I have not had the impression that we are being tested in PT, or that we are required to meet a standard.

However, the instructors have been also quick to tell us that we (just infantry, or armour and atry as well?) will be required to do the battle fitness test (13km ruck march, 100m fireman‘s carry with webbing and rifle) at the end of the infantry course. In other words, we should be sorting ourselves out NOW to get into shape and keep in shape.

Thanks for the info... it sounds like my course to a T... except that our drill has also been with arms. Perhaps that this is just for grad parade, though, and we are not being marked on drill with arms?

So far, we have learned saluting with arms, order and shoulder arms, general salute - present arms, ground/take up arms, and that‘s pretty much it.

Back