• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Shaving Superthread- All You Want and More....

Halifax Tar said:
I keep my beard short and tidy.  The Snr FF on Toronto was very supset that I passed.  He was almost angry.  But I think that's more because he personally didn't like them.

I was actually told that the current issue GM was made with the beards of Pioneers and Sailors in mind and designed to accommodate them.

I don't have anything to back that in way of reference just something I told.  I would be interested in reading anything on the subject though.

I wouldn't have carried out the fit test on you and there wouldn't be a damned thing you could do about it. Not being a dink at all, just telling you that the rules are on the side of the guy telling you to go and shave prior to the test. FYI, I imagine the Snr FF you speak of was more pissed that he'd now have a can of worms opened because one dude passed the fit test with a beard and everyone else might be monkey see, monkey do. That's the other reason I'd flat out refuse you.

jollyjacktar has it: mask sizes are made for the masses, the common denominator. So is the instruction for gaining the best possible seal between face and face piece. Glasses are verboten for the same reasons. Just because I can get a seal with my safety glasses on doesn't make it correct and doesn't account for conditions you might encounter outside of the fit test.

Your best chance with RPE is ALWAYS when you're clean shaven. If that offends your personal sense of fashion and style, too bad. You always default to manufacturer's instructions - and I have yet to see one that doesn't mention being clean shaven.

Scott said:
I wouldn't have carried out the fit test on you and there wouldn't be a damned thing you could do about it. Not being a dink at all, just telling you that the rules are on the side of the guy telling you to go and shave prior to the test. FYI, I imagine the Snr FF you speak of was more pissed that he'd now have a can of worms opened because one dude passed the fit test with a beard and everyone else might be monkey see, monkey do. That's the other reason I'd flat out refuse you.

I was already fit tested at this point.  This was a test to see if the (my) beard really mattered or had an effect.  He was adamant I would I fail and I disagreed so we tried it.

As I am good little sailor I do as directed by my CoC and when ordered to shave I do so. 

At one of my previous units, which will remain nameless, I witnessed a guy fail the fit test, becuase of a beard.  The instructor (his friend) then donned the gas mask and passed the test for the person who had just failed because of his beard. 

Halifax Tar said:
I was already fit tested at this point.  This was a test to see if the (my) beard really mattered or had an effect.  He was adamant I would I fail and I disagreed so we tried it.

As I am good little sailor I do as directed by my CoC and when ordered to shave I do so. 

At one of my previous units, which will remain nameless, I witnessed a guy fail the fit test, becuase of a beard.  The instructor (his friend) then donned the gas mask and passed the test for the person who had just failed because of his beard.

Thus placing his "buddy" and everyone else in danger. Did you report this breach of ethics? Because that's what it is.

I currently have a beard excuse , but it is "illegal" only work in my unit ( not a regular medical for an army medical staff ). 

The thing is , I don't have my full permanent one , because it takes over a year to get it , and I am currently doing my CT... so they told me to use a civilian doctor , make me a paper , but if ever I had a B class or a full time course somewhere , I wouldn't be able to keep it. 

I am wondering, should I shave it if I go see the med for my CT ?? ( I would assume yes because I don't want him to put me in as un-fit ).

Halifax Tar said:

Glad you clarified this. I still would have refused you. There are times when you simply have to point to the book, whether you like to or not.

Good clarification here, too.

Thereby proving earlier points.

The beard had no effect on the test. No big deal. Throw stress, sweat, awkward additional kit (flash hood, helmet, collared jacket), awkward body positioning with all that kit into the mix and you run more risk when you have the beard. No harm when you're running through disco smoke, but a good shot of the stuff that comes from burning wires, diesel or other nasty bits and you are fucked - so are your teammates.

The simple fact is that it works better with a clean surface - like a suction cup on a window.

Krimynal.

Explique en francais SVP. votre premiere phrase est compliqué a comprendre. "illegal" chit? Someone at your work gave you an excuse beard?

Only medical staff can issue a medical chit. There are units (Royal Winnipeg Rifles for example) that have chits for some of their troops as they are Pioneers. Is that what you mean?

en gros , j'ai une excuse barbe depuis mon debut de QMB , par contre , elle étais régis par un médecin civile , mais mon unitée d'appartenance as accepter cela ( PRes Arty ).  Donc elle n'est pas régis par un médecin militaire.

Lorsque je suis arriver sur mon QS+PP1 cet été.  Mon excuse barbe étais refuser , mais eux m'en on donner une militaire temporaire de 2 mois , et parlais de me changer de catégorie médicale pour éviter les problèmes.  Ce que j'ai refuser en sachant que sa aurrais empecher mon transfert dans la régulière.

Lorsque je suis revenue a mon unitée locale.  Ma chit médicale militaire étais échue , donc je suis retourner voir un médecin civile , mon unitée d'appartenance est d'accord avec sa , vue que c'est pour "m'accomoder" le temps que les transfert ce fasse.  J'ai parler avec des Tech Med en fin de semaine , ils m'ont expliquer les nouvelles procédure , mais je doit faire 1 demande de 2 semaines , ensuite une de 6 mois , pour finalement avoir mon excuse barbe permanente.  Par contre tant que je n'ai pas ma permanente finaliser et accepter.  Je suis un-fit.

donc en ce moment on fonctionne a mon unitée locale avec un papier civile.  Mais je sais que si je quitte pour un poste X-Y ou un cours X-Y , je ne pourrai pas la garder.  Même si un médecin militaire m'as dit que c'étais assurer que j'allais en avoir une permanente.  En ce moment , je ne peut pas commencer les démarches vue le temps de la procédure par rapport a mon transfert.

( je ne sais pas si c'est plus clair comme sa )

Completely off topic but I just received word that this item has shipped and I am super stoked to receive it and start learning how to use it.

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/BO140507

I bought a cheaper straight razor before (still have it) but failed to figure out how to maintain it. I think the maintenance supplies I bought were too cheap (mainly the strop). Anyone know what to look for in a good strop or have any recommendations? This razor is a bit more expensive so I don't want to bugger it up using cheap strops and such.

krimynal said:
en gros , j'ai une excuse barbe depuis mon debut de QMB , par contre , elle étais régis par un médecin civile , mais mon unitée d'appartenance as accepter cela ( PRes Arty ).  Donc elle n'est pas régis par un médecin militaire.

Lorsque je suis arriver sur mon QS+PP1 cet été.  Mon excuse barbe étais refuser , mais eux m'en on donner une militaire temporaire de 2 mois , et parlais de me changer de catégorie médicale pour éviter les problèmes.  Ce que j'ai refuser en sachant que sa aurrais empecher mon transfert dans la régulière.

Lorsque je suis revenue a mon unitée locale.  Ma chit médicale militaire étais échue , donc je suis retourner voir un médecin civile , mon unitée d'appartenance est d'accord avec sa , vue que c'est pour "m'accomoder" le temps que les transfert ce fasse.  J'ai parler avec des Tech Med en fin de semaine , ils m'ont expliquer les nouvelles procédure , mais je doit faire 1 demande de 2 semaines , ensuite une de 6 mois , pour finalement avoir mon excuse barbe permanente.  Par contre tant que je n'ai pas ma permanente finaliser et accepter.  Je suis un-fit.

donc en ce moment on fonctionne a mon unitée locale avec un papier civile.  Mais je sais que si je quitte pour un poste X-Y ou un cours X-Y , je ne pourrai pas la garder.  Même si un médecin militaire m'as dit que c'étais assurer que j'allais en avoir une permanente.  En ce moment , je ne peut pas commencer les démarches vue le temps de la procédure par rapport a mon transfert.

( je ne sais pas si c'est plus clair comme sa )

I can try to translate it so it can be easier for everyone to understand my situation ?

I think my French is good enough to understand what's up. If you have a legitimate medical issue for shaving, go through the tcat process so you eventually get a pcat that'll state "exempt shaving except for operational reasons". You may have some extra hoops to jump through for your ct, as you'll be on tcat, but once everything is done you won't have to carry a chit everywhere. I've had a few subordinates go through the process. It will take a while (year at least), but makes it official.

ballz said:
Completely off topic but I just received word that this item has shipped and I am super stoked to receive it and start learning how to use it.

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/BO140507

I bought a cheaper straight razor before (still have it) but failed to figure out how to maintain it. I think the maintenance supplies I bought were too cheap (mainly the strop). Anyone know what to look for in a good strop or have any recommendations? This razor is a bit more expensive so I don't want to bugger it up using cheap strops and such.

Short, light strokes, use a good mug soap and soak your fuzz in water as hot as you can stand.  A good strop is thick, some have two sides, the one my dad had had some form of fine abrasive "cutting paste" applied to one side if memory serves.  All I really remember is that bugger stung across the back of the thighs!

Ditto to what Kat said. I use both straight razors and safety razors and the key is very little pressure, let the edge do the work. Make sure you have a good shave soap/cream, not the foam Gillette crap, but one that is applied with a shave brush. Hot water opens the pores and work with the grain with the straight razor.

This is an excellent YouTube channel with tutorials on straight razor shaving and maintaining your straight razor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_6UH1pRmUQ

I get most of my stuff for wet shaving here at Mark of A Gentleman a Toronto based online retailer who sell everything you would need. Here's the links for strops, I have Golden Tan Buffalo strop and it is excellent.  http://www.markofagentleman.com/a_pgs/catalog.html?cat=95

Kat Stevens said:
Short, light strokes, use a good mug soap and soak your fuzz in water as hot as you can stand.  A good strop is thick, some have two sides, the one my dad had had some form of fine abrasive "cutting paste" applied to one side if memory serves.  All I really remember is that bugger stung across the back of the thighs!

Ha ha, me too. I was really choked when my two younger sisters threw the strop in the burning barrel, and didn't even get reprimanded.

The teacher in our two room school house knew the proper use of a razor strop, as well.

I also remember the strop as a enforcement device, until my early teens when my mother found it on the splitting block chopped into 2" pieces, none of my 6 brothers ever confessed who carried out the chopping, although mom did graduate to a broom handle that year to keep us in line.

Gizmo 421 said:
I also remember the strop as a enforcement device, until my early teens when my mother found it on the splitting block chopped into 2" pieces, none of my 6 brothers ever confessed who carried out the chopping, although mom did graduate to a broom handle that year to keep us in line.

Not too sure if that was a step down or a step up.  ???  I do recall a couple of my elementary school teacher having one in a desk drawer. 

KerryBlue said:
Ditto to what Kat said. I use both straight razors and safety razors and the key is very little pressure, let the edge do the work. Make sure you have a good shave soap/cream, not the foam Gillette crap, but one that is applied with a shave brush. Hot water opens the pores and work with the grain with the straight razor.

This is an excellent YouTube channel with tutorials on straight razor shaving and maintaining your straight razor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_6UH1pRmUQ

I get most of my stuff for wet shaving here at Mark of A Gentleman a Toronto based online retailer who sell everything you would need. Here's the links for strops, I have Golden Tan Buffalo strop and it is excellent.  http://www.markofagentleman.com/a_pgs/catalog.html?cat=95

Thanks for that post. I have been using brush / mug for a long time now, but I've only used Proraso shave soap and Omega brush because that's what they sell at Shopper's Drug Mart. I have nothing to compare it to, so I don't actually know if its any good, but it certainly was better than Gillette / etc stuff that comes in a can. Do you know if Proraso is "good" or not and do you have any recommendations?

Kat Stevens said:

:rofl: The childhood memories of the strop is actually hurting my stomach from laughing. I just want to encourage you all to continue for my own entertainment haha

ballz said:
Do you know if Proraso is "good" or not and do you have any recommendations?

Proraso is a good shaving soap, its been around 80 years and with good reason. IF you wanted something different RazoRock is a Canadian company specializing in traditional Italian soaps. Really great stuff, and pretty cheap. If you wanted a nice cream then Taylor of Old Bond Street or Dr Harris are a no brainier. The Italians tend to make better soaps, while the English make better creams. Hope that helps

Legitimate question. Hair conditioner instead of shaving cream a no go? I know it's the weird thing but honestly ive had to do it a couple times in a quick pinch, but both times i had no burning or irritation sensations.

It's an option, but if you use the Gucci 9 bladed motorized elliptical razors with built in vibrator, it will clog them up and dull them really fast.

Back