• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Shaving Superthread- All You Want and More....

I must say though, for a moment yesterday, I believed that I had warped into a paralell universe when I distinctly heard the following;

Sgt: Pte _____, did you shave this morning?

Pte: Yes Sgt!

Sgt: YOU IDIOT - what did I tell you yesterday - what did the CSM make abundantly clear in orders - WHAT!?

Pte: That there was to be no shaving or haircuts until told otherwise Sgt!

Sgt: That's right! If I see you with clean shaven face again - you'll be crewing the silver sub! (duty desk)

GO!!! said:
I must say though, for a moment yesterday, I believed that I had warped into a paralell universe when I distinctly heard the following;

And please do tell the context of this conversation?

Armymedic said:
And please do tell the context of this conversation?

New direction from the LFC, we are supposed to reflect canadian society in EVERY aspect. No more shaving or haircuts, the gym has been locked and half the Bn is on double rations until they achieve an accurate representation of the Canadian public. And you would'nt believe what happens at 4:20....

Just kidding. We are preparing to be enemey force for the upcoming event in Wx. ;D

GO!!! said:
And in regards to the "western, mountain man" way of doing things, sigs guys grow bellies all the time, we grow moustaches on tour. Same $hit, different pile - right   :D
Hahahaha!!! ;D...You've got your competitions, we have ours. 8).  In all due seriousness thouugh.  I've been shaving everyday for about 4 1/2 months now with all the poo dust and dryness.  I could use a break.  Besides, if the NBC threat was high enough to dictate me "having a proper seal" ::) I think it would also dictate me to carry my mask.  I'm gonna go shave with some paint thinner, see if i can't get that chit I'm after. ;)

Cheers;
Andrew

GO!!! said:
New direction from the LFC, we are supposed to reflect canadian society in EVERY aspect. No more shaving or haircuts, the gym has been locked and half the Bn is on double rations until they achieve an accurate representation of the Canadian public. And you would'nt believe what happens at 4:20....

Oh, I see, thought you'd save some bandwith by combining 2 threads: shaving and fatties...good call.

I sometimes get razor burn on the neck area, doesn't look as bad as it feels. Just don't put on aftershave in that area or you're asking for a hurtin'. I'm hunting for a straight razor but can't seem to find any stores that sell them.

SoF said:
I sometimes get razor burn on the neck area, doesn't look as bad as it feels. Just don't put on aftershave in that area or you're asking for a hurtin'. I'm hunting for a straight razor but can't seem to find any stores that sell them.

Same here - there are plenty of places to buy online but I haven't seen any straight razors in stores in my area.

This is something that was brought up on my QL2 a few years back and shaving was something everyone dreaded to do...especially when you have maybe 20 minutes in the morning to sh**, shave, get dressed, get downstairs (no time to shower) in a couple of sinks with 6 or 7 other guys who have to do it at the same time as you. So, the instructors put it up the chain and got a doctor to talk to us on the weekend. He said two things and they worked for everyone very well and has been for years especially when you are shaving every day like clockwork (unless deployed on NBCD or LRP when you look like a bag of hammers anyways):

1) DO NOT shave against (upwards) your beard grains as it disrupt your facial pores and can cause chronic razor burn (and it looks worse than just "redness" after shaving and can cause infection). The best thing to do is use warm NOT hot water as hot water dries your skin excessively (especially in the winter) and the razor tends to take off small chunks of your face in the process, leaving you looking like a someone coming down with chicken pox. Also when shaving, shave sideways (except for the neck which should be shaved in a downwards motion) and neither up or down because shaving down does not always clear the grains and shaving up causes damage.

2) After shaving, the best aftershave moisturiser to use is Nivea as it is fairly mild and you don't go running out, screaming like a headless chicken.

3) If you are new to shaving everyday, don't head over to the MIR at the first sight of razorburn. It is natural for your face to get adjusted to the shaving regimen between 7-10 days and yes the daily KILL BILL bleeding does stop. Just remember to not keep using the same old razor for weeks on end and you don't have to go out and buy a Mach 4 Champion or a Shick Quattro 4 (as the excessive number of blades are NOT suited to all skin types and a really close shave everyday is NOT for your skin good everyday, especially when you shave daily), leave the cylinders to cars and the Speed Channel. The best razor to have is a twin blade and the Gillette senor and sensor excel does the trick very well and their blades remain sharp for up to two weeks (for me anyways).

PS: You won't get in sh** for razorburn on training but you WILL get it if you don't shave and if I still remember correctly it will cost you a $50.00 charge each time they catch you unshaven w/out a chit which gets max'd at time 3 and after that you are put before the man and well... 

Hope that helps!

Cheers  :cdn:

Ummm so this.. friend of mine... yeah this friend of mine, he was watching "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy" and they had some huge explanation about how it's so much better to shave after your shower then before. Showering opens your pores and blah blah to your skin and it's just better.

But.. it was my friend that saw it..

I dont advocate this as a sure fire way to avoid the problem you're having but.............consider shaving at night. Make it the last thing you do before lights out. If you're really baby faced this might work for you. Remember (as already pointed out) shaving strips away your skins natural oils. Having those couple of hours at night to let your face "rest" might mean you wont look like you were assaulted. However, if your staff catch you employing this method........its game over.

To address the "not shaving" criteria......... The medical term for chronic razor burn is Folliculitis Barbae. Again this isnt whats going with your face if you are new to shaving everyday. But it can "potentialy" be a condition for which you "may" be excused shaving. Keep in mind that only a medical officer can write a chit excusing you shaving on an ongoing basis. In my experience the period is usually for 30 days. On day 29 or 30 you would shave and then be reassessed to see if the rest period has improved your condition.

I have a question that I did a search for and couldn't find the answer for...

I mostly shave either with electric tri-head (which probably wouldn't be allowed at BMQ) or with a straight razor (old fashioned fold-out kind that you strop first before shaving) as it's gentler on my skin than a regular modern style shaving system (I have no idea WHY). Now, I know that those straight razors can be considered weapons, so my question is would I be allowed to use my straight razor or am I SOL and use a modern shaver?

I ask because I have a skin condition where my facial skin is more oily than my the rest of my body, and the straight razor with some good shave soap and a brush strips less oil away. I get HUGE razor burn from modern shavers, and I've tried everything I can think of to get my skin ready for basic. I am concerned because the razor burn is really harsh, to the point of massive itching and distraction, and I really want to be able to concentrate and pay attention during basic without my neck screaming at me.

I get the feeling that the answer will be "suck it up buttercup" and modern-shavers only, but if one does not ask, one will never know :D

In most cases you will be allowed to take either razor to your Crse.  If in doubt ask the Crse Instructors/Staff.  Every Course and its Staff will be different.  What you can do on one, you may not be allowed on another. 

There are numerous causes and remedies for Razor Burn.  Some people can't use After-Shave lotion, without breaking out in a rash.  Some must shave before a shower, or face having a rash.  Never shave before going out into the Arctic cold. 

I am sure, by now, you have experimented enough to have found your own solution.

Buddy in my section used a straight razor on BMQ/SQ in Shilo summer of '04.

No problems from course staff for him, other than being made fun off. Had to keep everything clean and inspection ready as the rest of us.

The best part, was that the soap he used tended to leave these little fluffs on his face, and I remember having to do so many push-ups for laughing when the MasterJack looks at him, and asked if he'd been having oral sex with the Drying machine

Shaving is the least of your worries, just get on with it. The other guys in your platoon or whatever they call it these days will look after you. I can't believe you could on that long about shaving...can you imagine if we talked about losing your virginity? Oops, I hope I didn't plant a seed ;)

Gnplummer :cdn:

Well, I asked because I've been denied taking a straight razor some places... just wanted to make sure

Yeah for razer burn, well my first expereinces with shaveing were terrible none thought me how so my first couple times were dry shaves.. now that makes you have razor burn! but i found out after that (when i started using shaving oils) that i never get razor burn anymore sometimes some irritation but rarely, I don't know try shaveing oils and see if that helps.  :salute:

Yup, straightrazor could be used as a weapon or a way to commit suicide if you get bummed out during the course. It would be taken away from you on the first day of Basic, along with any other contraband. Don't know if the rules have changed, but in my Basic, we all shaved with the same type of razor which was a double bladed throw away. Anyhoo, it didn't matter if you never shaved before or shaved everyday, everybody shaved in the morning regardless. I'm sure if you go to the medics and explain your dilemma, some resolution can be achieved.

:cdn:

A gerber could be used as a suicide assistance weapon... How would a straight razor be any different?

Whether or not it's any different, if they say no to it, that's it. Good way to get off on the wrong foot with your instructors, start arguing with them over a razor, first day there. ::)

BTW, if your flying, don't put it in your carry on. Security will confiscate it.

Back