• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The US Presidency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
PPCLI Guy said:
That sounds entirely reasonable.

How about we apply this new approach to discussions in threads about Canadian politics....

Sure, no problem. Still, I doubt it'll give you the clarity you wish. People being people, I doubt it's possible.

Besides, sometimes a trainwreck, especially with our PM, tends to happen quickly and is often over quickly. No long term observation required. Same thing stateside

I can't seem to equate Trudeau's groping and lying to international peace talks though.

That, and if we want to have a contest on which leader is the biggest clown, one only need look to Trump in Singapore and Trudeau in India for comparison.

The DPRK has all the legitimacy it needs, courtesy of its membership in the UN - at least to everyone who believes the UN is a primary font of legitimacy for all things international.

President Trump continues to effect change in the domestic front, in this case he is working to reform the US Bureaucracy:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/under-new-management-trumps-fresh-eyes-sparks-massive-federal-reform

Under New Management: Trump's ‘fresh eyes’ sparks massive federal reform
by Paul Bedard
July 09, 2018 09:09 AM

President Trump is taking charge of his administration’s effort to reform the federal government and workforce, the biggest demonstration yet that Washington is under new management.

Aides describe the president as personally invested in the 32-point plan to shake the bureaucracy out of a 1950s model based on secretarial pools.

“So much of the ability to drive change requires a fresh perspective,” said Margaret Weichert, an author of the recently announced reform blueprint and deputy director for management at the Office of Management and Budget.

“It’s frequently why I, as a management consultant, was brought into an organization to consult on issues like this because fresh eyes and people who don’t have a stake in the status quo very often can see things differently than the people who are of that organization or institution. And that was a major theme in the last election, that people were effectively hiring a businessman to try to change business as usual in Washington,” she said in an interview.

Trimming and reeducating the workforce, combining federal agencies and eliminating overlapping services won’t be easy and Trump’s team are bracing for a bruising fight with bureaucrats, federal employee unions and lawmakers.

But it is one that Trump is approaching like he did many of his business challenges, setting the overall goals and then promoting them.

“He gets involved in the high level conceptual framing of it and then when we pull together the proposals,” said Weichert.

[snip]

“We are serious about top down change. It cannot all happen at once, it can’t certainly happen by fiat, but when you look at where we are at in 2018 two decades into the 21st century and you pair that with a bureaucratic infrastructure that was very well aligned to the needs of the post-World War II era, it’s so clear there’s a mismatch,” said Weichert, adding, “If now isn’t the time to get traction on this, I don’t know when is. We have to get serious about making change happen.”

Legislation has already been introduced to begin making Trump’s reforms, headlined by a plan to revamp the federal workforce, reform IT and add automation, and combine the Education and Labor departments so that schools can focus more on filling the nation’s skills gap like some European school systems do.

Changing the bureaucracy is likely the biggest challenge any Administration will ever face, so it will be interesting to see the process and the results.

Trump in the UK.I guess he meets the Queen tomorrow.The Sun has a nice photo spread

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6760773/donald-trump-slams-theresa-mays-chequers-plan-for-brexit-saying-i-dont-know-if-thats-what-they-voted-for/

He only got there today?  I'm sure that I saw photos of him in London days ago . . . . .

Trump-baby-2-1024x1024.jpg

Nice stunt for a media masturbation fest. I chuckle at the idea Trump has made the NK situation worse, the experts allowed NK nuke program to proceed mostly unhindered, did little when the NK sunk a SK patrol vessel, shelling inhabited islands, along with decades of other misadventures. Kim's antics at the border were between the SK leader and Kim, that was SK doing what SK thought best. If NK fails to follow through with the agreement, I suspect your going to see a major squeeze on NK and possible some peripheral military action (taking out a sub, remote outposts, etc) if required.

Blackadder1916 said:
He only got there today?  I'm sure that I saw photos of him in London days ago . . . . .

Trump-baby-2-1024x1024.jpg

$30'000 to fly that bad boy 20 feet off the ground for 2 hours lol

Because this doesn’t fit into the “US Presidency 2018” thread? ???

Rachael Maddow AND Maxine Waters?

Why would anyone criticize those messengers lol

Curious to know what professed Trump supporters have to say about his (some say treasonous) comments yesterday about Russia and his own intelligence agencies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RocketRichard said:
Curious to know what professed Trump supporters have to say about his (some say treasonous) comments yesterday about Russia and his own intelligence agencies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I just know what they would have said had Obama said the exact same thing. He would be selling out America, weak, a coward and a traitor.

Somehow the current President is a hero.

Altair said:
I just know what they would have said had Obama said the exact same thing. He would be selling out America, weak, a coward and a traitor.

Somehow the current President is a hero.

"Wait and see" seems to be the current thing. 

Putin got exactly what he wanted.  A President not willing to call him on anything.

Remius said:
"Wait and see" seems to be the current thing. 

Putin got exactly what he wanted.  A President not willing to call him on anything.
Putin got called out for years by the international community, hasn't changed a thing he does. I somehow think Putin will do what he wants whether the US President is on board or not.

tomahawk6 said:
Traitor for trying to make the US safer ?Reprehensible comments.
‘Former US intelligence chiefs expressed astonishment and condemnation Monday in response to President Donald Trump's comments at Monday's news conference with Russian President Vladimir Putin, with former CIA Director John Brennan calling the US President's performance "nothing short of treasonous."

‘’John McCain, the ailing Arizona senator and one of the party’s leading voices on national security, delivered perhaps the harshest rebuke, calling the press conference “one of the most disgraceful performances by an American president in memory”.

trea·son
ˈtrēzən
noun
the crime of betraying one's country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PuckChaser said:
Putin got called out for years by the international community, hasn't changed a thing he does. I somehow think Putin will do what he wants whether the US President is on board or not.

Sure, except now he has an ally in Trump.

RocketRichard said:
‘Former US intelligence chiefs expressed astonishment and condemnation Monday in response to President Donald Trump's comments at Monday's news conference with Russian President Vladimir Putin, with former CIA Director John Brennan calling the US President's performance "nothing short of treasonous."

‘’John McCain, the ailing Arizona senator and one of the party’s leading voices on national security, delivered perhaps the harshest rebuke, calling the press conference “one of the most disgraceful performances by an American president in memory”.

trea·son
ˈtrēzən
noun
the crime of betraying one's country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your dictionary definition of treason just doesn't cut it.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2381
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/07/17/treason-in-helsinki-it-doesnt-hold-up/?utm_term=.f9bfe5ef39a4

kkwd said:

Very true.  I'll stick to what they also said in the Washington Post article you just linked.

"Groveling in front of a foreign leader, putting the interests of a foreign country ahead of the United States, displaying horrific judgment in foreign policy — none of those things are treason"  not treason no.  But still very very wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back