• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unauthorized Uniform parts Picture hunt. "For fun and giggles"

holly christmas tree man, Wow, what? 3 CLI? and an exchange?
not to fond of teh Cdn flag patch. but maybe thats what yoru cc wore.
but I haven't seen that many patchs since my rookie years.

Whats with the blue hugh heffner style ascot and the giant lanyard thingummy?

Up until about Sep 1993, many things were very different.

The Hugh Heffner thing is an ascot, worn by many units in the old, old work/garrison dress (Reg and PRes) which carried into cadets.

As for the badges, you will notice where I am wearing the Marksmanship badge.  There were only 3 levels then, only 2 levels were worn (most of the time).  It was either crossed rifles or crossed rifles and crown (the 3rd was a red crossed rifles).

I had no CLI courses.  In the day, there was only one CLI, which to some degree is now the CLI D&C. 

The athletic badge was National Athletic Leadership.  It was a national, tri-service course held at CFB Borden.  Hennessey Block was the barracks.  The course was taught with the assistance of Reg F PERI.  It was considered above CLI.

The crossed-rifle course was small-bore rifle coach.  It was a regional, tri-service course.  It was again considered above CLI. 

The band badge was given to those who attended a band course.  There was no Basic, CL or CLI band, it was simply band.  You played music all summer.  Essentially a service band.

You cannot see it but above that is the Maple Leaf exchange.  I believe it was the 3rd summer for the exchange.  At the time, it was permissible for anyone who attended an exchange to wear the Canada Flag.

The sword is over kill, but it is also in the hook up position wrong.

I was RCEME so the sash should not have been worn.  Unfortunately, EME JUST became EME and the Cadet Corps was RCEME.  The dress regs allowed for all accoutrements as described by the affiliated unit.  If your affiliated unit said you could, then you could.........not like today.

The beret is actually a navy blue one, as was worn by RCEME before unification.

The jacket I am wearing is a CF tunic.  One of the first to wear it as a CWO.  During that time, there were no larger sizes of cadet jackets.  I wore a 42".  Cadet corps were receiving the old work dress jackets which were a little like the present NCDs.  Once the DCdts saw this on parade (his son was a WO during this parade), the dress regs were ammended.

Once the DCdts saw this on parade (his son was a WO during this parade), the dress regs were ammended.

longtime Mr. Gill  :salute:

His son was also the first Staff Cadet On PARA too I believe.  ::)

primer said:
His son was also the first Staff Cadet On PARA too I believe.  ::)

In all fairness to Chris, he was an excellent and well rounded cadet.  He was well liked and respected by his superiors, peers and subordinates.  He never caught premadonnacitis upon completion of the para course.

If I am not seen, it means I'm not in trouble Ron :salute:

rwgill said:
Once the DCdts saw this on parade (his son was a WO during this parade), the dress regs were ammended.

Not surprised but it sure is perty lookin ;)

rwgill said:
Up until about Sep 1993, many things were very different.

The Hugh Heffner thing is an ascot, worn by many units in the old, old work/garrison dress (Reg and PRes) which carried into cadets.

My unit wears the ascot (with the tartan of our AffU), but mine hasn't looked that suave and debonaire.  What was your secret? ;)

Kyle Burrows said:
My unit wears the ascot (with the tartan of our AffU), but mine hasn't looked that suave and debonaire.  What was your secret? ;)

The secret is the good person wearing it. :-*

yea ... the GGs at Denison like to wear ascots too. A bit OTT now that I think about it. ... still have mine after 25 years  :D

Oli   748 G.G.H.G.

.. lost my kings crown though :- bloody shame 

Oli said:
yea ... the GGs at Denison like to wear ascots too. A bit OTT now that I think about it. ... still have mine after 25 years  :D

Oli  748 G.G.H.G.

.. lost my kings crown though :- bloody shame 

Markham GGs still wear ascots, not so sure about the Dennison GGs.

By any chance do you know Roger Carlsen? He was a former 748 cadet so you may know him.

GGHG_Cadet said:
By any chance do you know Roger Carlsen? He was a former 748 cadet so you may know him.

Yes he was my sgt. when I joined ... had an older brother at cadets as well.  Roger was doing photo stuff back in '95 when I met him again, as I was over in Canada (Markham) for Eric Wheeler's wedding, another ex Markham GG.

Oli   748 G.G.H.G.

zipperhead_cop said:
Hey, I was a Markham GG back in 83-85.  You must know Captain Eads then. 

yea and his son Phil

regards

Oli  748 G.G.H.G.

zipperhead_cop said:
Hey, I was a Markham GG back in 83-85.  You must know Captain Eads then. 

Hey, I have a lot of corps pictures from what I believe to be the mid-80s; if you want I can send you a couple to see if you remember anyone/ anything.

ok let's get this ball rolling again...............

here's a more recent pic i found online:
stupid.jpg

Oooh that WO2 isn't wearing his issued slipons...tsk tsk.

Else wise, there's nothing wrong. The WO1 is displaying his rank, they're both wearing appropriate headdress...

Back