• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

University Training Plan NCM (UTPNCM) 2005 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
hitchy_11 said:
Anyone know what I take numbers were this year for utp or scp?

Curious about hca

Also I have a year left on my degree and am intending on going hca would it be easier to go scp rather than utpncm?

If you have a year left now, you'll be finished before the selection process for UTPNCM is done.

sidemount said:
for Fiscal Year 16/17
SIP has 0 spots for SCP and 2 spots for UTPNCM in HCA
Does this mean that no one applied for SCP or they did not assign any openings for that program? (still new to this process, I appreciate any knowledge)

hitchy_11 said:
Does this mean that no one applied for SCP or they did not assign any openings for that program? (still new to this process, I appreciate any knowledge)

It means that when the SCP was announced, HCA was not an available occupation which you could apply for.  SCP occupation vacancies change on an annual basis and available occupations are normally announced via a CANFORGEN Message.  So if occupations you are interested in are not published, you wouldn't be able to apply.

Generally means there are not spots available. (cant seem to access the SIP today)
However, wait and see what the canforgen says when it comes out. Last years message said they were taking HCA (didn't say how many, and always subject to change.)

You should really make an appointment with your local PSO and discuss your plans, they will have the best info for you.

Just an add on, the SCP CANFORGEN for the 2017 competition has been released and HCA is on it. (CANFORGEN 111/16). The SIP still has 0 spots listed. So with saying that, definitely go see you PSO, they can show you the best way forward.

Don't you have to be completed your degree to qualify for SCP? I think the OP said that he had a year left.

ModlrMike said:
Don't you have to be completed your degree to qualify for SCP? I think the OP said that he had a year left.

And here is where it is a bit tricky, with only a year left the OP would be finished the degree prior to the actual messages being cut for both SCP and UTPNCM. (they come out May ish of the competition year)

So right off the hop, UTPNCM is pretty useless as they will be finished the degree prior to selection. But how that would work with SCP, having the degree completed likely at the same time as the board sits, is a grey area and I have no idea how that would work.

Like I had said, the PSO is the best place to go with that one.

sidemount said:
Just an add on, the SCP CANFORGEN for the 2017 competition has been released and HCA is on it. (CANFORGEN 111/16). The SIP still has 0 spots listed. So with saying that, definitely go see you PSO, they can show you the best way forward.

The 2016/2017 SIP is for "current" year and won't necessarily apply to the above announced program which would be applicable for 2017/2018.  Maybe the "Out Year" SIP will show positions but I doubt it as it usually seems to reflect prior year requirements and is some what repetitious at best.

But if the CANFORGEN has it listed, then it's an available option.  Like "sidemount" mentions, contact your local BPSO Office and start asking questions.    Good luck!

DAA said:
It means that when the SCP was announced, HCA was not an available occupation which you could apply for.   SCP occupation vacancies change on an annual basis and available occupations are normally announced via a CANFORGEN Message.  So if occupations you are interested in are not published, you wouldn't be able to apply.

That is not necessarily true.  I specifically asked the PSO regarding occupations in the CANFORGEN that had 0 numbers in the SIP and she said it didn't matter as they needed people so according to her the SIP numbers aren't necessarily accurate as they can move numbers around depending on the number of applicants they get for the various Officer entry plans.

jitterbug said:
That is not necessarily true.  I specifically asked the PSO regarding occupations in the CANFORGEN that had 0 numbers in the SIP and she said it didn't matter as they needed people so according to her the SIP numbers aren't necessarily accurate as they can move numbers around depending on the number of applicants they get for the various Officer entry plans.

You must have missed my later post.

DAA said:
The 2016/2017 SIP is for "current" year and won't necessarily apply to the above announced program which would be applicable for 2017/2018.  Maybe the "Out Year" SIP will show positions but I doubt it as it usually seems to reflect prior year requirements and is some what repetitious at best.

But if the CANFORGEN has it listed, then it's an available option.

This may sound weird but can you request (through the PSO) to be considered for CEOTP? From what I have heard they stopped offering CEOTP for pilots because no one was getting their degree. However the HCA is very red! and at %77...
I am very impatient and would very much like to begin the next chapter of my military career as an HCA.
I understand this sounds ridiculous but stranger things have happened in the military.
Any speculation or information helps.

Thanks again for all your help and guidance!

I have a few questions first, before I go into my next suggestion. Your profile is pretty sparse, so...

1. What trade are you currently?
2. What rank are your currently?
3. How much service do you both currently have, and expect to serve?

Once I have those answers, I might have some different advice for you.

ModlrMike said:
1. What trade are you currently?
2. What rank are your currently?
3. How much service do you both currently have, and expect to serve?

1.AVN
2.Cpl
3. I have 12 in already (reg force) and joined at 17. I would like to go to 60 years old. but as of right now I'm still in IE25 I believe its called and have 13 left on my contract.

OK then. So from the information you've provided, you should be able to continue your quest. I would recommend that you find a serving HCA to help you. That person can reach out to the HCA CM and perhaps provide you with current info WRT the occupation, and maybe some suggestions on how to attain your goal. If you don't have one at your location, PM me. The challenge for you at this juncture, is that you're too far along in your degree for UTPNCM, and not far enough for SCP. Don't worry too much about the SIP, the CM can usually manage one off instances notwithstanding.

So after talking to the PSO's assistant, 0 intakes for SCP (16 applied) this year (16/17) and 2 for UTPNCM... it seems as though they are taking 4 DEO and 13 ROTP...
It sounds like I would have a better chance getting out and getting back in but that is quite the gamble... I still may not even get accepted.
Are there any instances where anyone has heard of the selection board saying "yes we'll taking him ROTP, have him release and rejoin"

DO NOT release and rejoin. You would screw up your benefits.

As I said, find an HCA to give you some onsite assistance before you take any further action. Back channel solutions may be an option.

ModlrMike said:
As I said, find an HCA to give you some onsite assistance before you take any further action. Back channel solutions may be an option.

Just sat down and explained my situation to my SGT.. thanks again for your help. He is going to call and see if he can get me an interview with an HCA from the hospital here in WPG.

As stated,  SIP is regularly adjusted for any number or reasons.  Release/rejoin is never guaranteed.  For example,  if your med cat is now below the enrolment standard but still meets your target occupation 's category,  releasing would mean you could not get back in.

First - I tried searching and read through all 21 pages of the NCM to Officer (UTP) thread without finding the answer I'm looking for, so if this info is somewhere on the page already, apologies but I did not see it....

With the recent opening of the commissioning plan competitions for the 2017 year I've begun looking to apply for the UTPNCM.

There's one potential sticking point in the eligibility requirements that I've been unable to get a solid answer on: the need to have 2 full year (or 4 one term) university credits or equivalent completed with results in prior to 30 Jan.

I asked the PLAR section at RMC whether things like the POET course which are PLAR'd for 1 full year credit would count toward this requirement. The guy told me he didn't think so and to consult the BPSO.

So I did. The PSO said he interpreted the "or equivalent" to mean that PLAR credits could/should count and that he would argue the case if it came to that.

Through U of Manitoba I can PLAR 5 one term credits (15 credit hours) for various things from courses to experience/rank but I'm still registering for 2 one term courses between Sept-Dec this fall to prove I can actually manage real university level courses.

This however, will only give me 2 one term credits if PLAR credits do not count.
----------------------------------------

That's enough background - if anyone out there has experience with the UTP - specifically whether PLAR credits can count toward the education requirement - I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

crumplestiltskin said:
That's enough background - if anyone out there has experience with the UTP - specifically whether PLAR credits can count toward the education requirement - I'd love to hear from you.

I'm pretty sure they are going to want to see "actual" courses completed and not course credits granted for prior CF training.  The reason behind this requirement, is primarily to demonstrate your ability to be successful in a post secondary academic setting.  PLAR'd credits won't do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back