• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

University Training Plan NCM (UTPNCM) 2005 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
DAA said:
I'm pretty sure they are going to want to see "actual" courses completed and not course credits granted for prior CF training.  The reason behind this requirement, is primarily to demonstrate your ability to be successful in a post secondary academic setting.  PLAR'd credits won't do this.

I can confirm this. I had the POET qualification and had it PLAR'ed at RMC, but the PLAR'ed credits - although they are university credits - were not considered as completed university credits as far as my UTPNCM application was concerned. Because they were credit granted from the previous military education/training not from an actual university course from other institutions.

Confirmed as well, when I did my utpncm, POET PLAR did not count towards the required credits.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Does anyone have experience/information about going on maternity / parental leave during school?

chidizzle said:
Does anyone have experience/information about going on maternity / parental leave during school?

This may help,

All Things MATA/PATA (merged)
http://army.ca/forums/threads/39902.150
8 pages.

Hi All;

I applied for UTPNCM for the previous competition year and I still haven't heard anything. I am not expecting an offer at this point however I would like to see my rejection message just to make sure my file was not lost, I was actually considered etc. I also would like to know how many point I scored and how close I was.

Of course I will contact the BPSO but before I do, I am curious if anyone is still waiting and when if / when others got their rejection messages.

cheers

MasterInstructor said:
Hi All;

I applied for UTPNCM for the previous competition year and I still haven't heard anything. I am not expecting an offer at this point however I would like to see my rejection message just to make sure my file was not lost, I was actually considered etc. I also would like to know how many point I scored and how close I was.

Of course I will contact the BPSO but before I do, I am curious if anyone is still waiting and when if / when others got their rejection messages.

cheers

I contacted the BPSO and they confirmed that they did not receive a response from Ottawa. Local BPSO sent a inquiry to Ottawa 4 business days ago and there is still no response. I am getting the feeling that I was not fairly considered by the board for my application due to some sort of human error.

What are my options at this point? Any suggestions or advice?

Hate to say it, but I really don't see this as being like promotion boards where they'll hold a special board if someone was left out. I hope it isn't the case, but shit does happen.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Hello all just a quick question about the scoring/selection process and how it works.

I was told when I went to the UTPNCM brief that scoring was based out of 100 and top candidates win. 60 points being aptitude, 15 being personality test, and 25 being interview.

My question is... What if I had a good write up from my CO and a fairly good score, and someone else scored higher then me (maybe they have a really high aptitude) out of 100, but got a not recommended from their CO. Would they be the ones who get selected? Where does the CO's write up come into play in the process?

Hey Guys,
So I re took my CFAT test and passed with 2 marks over the cut-off for officer, not great but it gets me in the door ( I forgot to study multiplying fractions!). Does anyone know of anyone else who was accepted to the UTPNCM program with an average CFAT?

I am kind of nervous about not knocking it out of the park and wondering if I should re take it for a 3rd time?

hitchy_11 said:
Hey Guys,
So I re took my CFAT test and passed with 2 marks over the cut-off for officer, not great but it gets me in the door ( I forgot to study multiplying fractions!). Does anyone know of anyone else who was accepted to the UTPNCM program with an average CFAT?

I am kind of nervous about not knocking it out of the park and wondering if I should re take it for a 3rd time?
Your CFAT is the single most important score on your application worth 60 per cent of your total grade. Candidates who make it through typically score high. Don't forget that it's a competition.

That being said, it's one score out of three factored in a total grade. If you meet the criteria, you can submit your file, but a passing mark isn't necessarily competitive enough to make it.

Just to put it in perspective my first and second time applying, I had a cfat score in the 62 percentile for officers (well above cutoff). I was not chosen. I went to the pso in Pet and was flat out told that while I qualify I was not nearly competitive enough. So I retook the cfat and scored in the 92 percentile. I was selected that year for the one EME spot.
The CFAT will make or break your application in my opinion.

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

So having re done my cfat I only have one more opportunity to retake it in my career and that requires taking a course to upgrade my math. Hopefully I get accepted of course but I don't think I will, I beat the cut-off by two marks. It was a vast improvement from when I was 17 and originally took it but I understand I am competing against others. It almost seems as though trying to go DEO or ROTP is a much easier route.

hitchy_11 said:
So having re done my cfat I only have one more opportunity to retake it in my career and that requires taking a course to upgrade my math. Hopefully I get accepted of course but I don't think I will, I beat the cut-off by two marks. It was a vast improvement from when I was 17 and originally took it but I understand I am competing against others. It almost seems as though trying to go DEO or ROTP is a much easier route.
Hi Hitchy,

Both UTPNCM and CEOTP are extremely competitive processes in which candidates compete for a very small number of positions, usually 1-3 depending on the occupation. Going the DEO or ROTP route will, if I'm not mistaken, involve releasing from the CAF first. While the number of positions available for DEO applicants is much higher than the other programs, it does mean you have to go out on a limb to complete a portion (ROTP) or all (DEO) of the education on your own time and dime.

It might be a good idea to look into upgrading your math and taking the CFAT a third time. Many universities offer basic math courses either in house or as distance education. You would be able to complete them while keeping your job.

Another point I will stress is that your entry in any of these programs will be a long process which will require planning years in advance. There is no quick solution. Take the time, upgrade your math, keep working on gaining leadership experience or experience in the field you wish to work in and create a game plan for a 2 year period working up to your application.

Just my $0.02

Indeed it does! I completed the application process prior to Christmas. Hoping the boards sit early haha! Does anyone know if during the selection boards if they simply pick files based on your score or do they read the narratives plus the scores to make their decision.

Scores are the big thing...but everything is read and taken into consideration.

Get ready for a long wait...when have you ever seen the CAF do anything early....late is a safer bet. If selected expect somewhere around mid to end may.
Good luck!

My file went to ottawa mid dec and i got an email bak jan 5th to go for aircrew selection. what ive personally learnt n seen is your recomendation from ur CO and PSO play the biggest role in your selection. MY CFAT score was at the cut off line. But i had 18 career development courses and alot of  volunteer work and my chain of command really supported me. i even had a probation on my record but looking at my CoC recommendation PSO did mention that the probation wont matter.  another member i know didnt have the greatest interview with the pso, didnt no any trade specs but had an award from the wing Commander for volunteering, also got a call for aircrew selection. so it varies from trade to trade and how many ppl they want n how good u did outside work.
CO's recommendation could be, POSSESSES OFFICER LIKE QUALITIES, FIT FOR AN OFFICER, RECOMMENDED, or HES THE BEST WORKER WE HAVE, WE DO NOT WANT TO LET HIM GO BUT HE DESERVES TO GO HIGHER. STRONGLY RECOMMENDED TO BE AN OFFICER. This can help you a lot how your chain of command writes about you. Its your right to apply so they wont say no to you but the recommendation letter would say what they think about you.

If, during your interview with the pso, you are found suitable for an air crew trade, you will go to air crew selection. It doesnt mean you will be selected. You must pass acs for your file to go to the utpncm selection board for that air crew trade. If you do not pass acs, the pso at the acs center in trenton will remove the air crew trade from your application right there before returning your file to ottawa

sidemount said:
If, during your interview with the pso, you are found suitable for an air crew trade, you will go to air crew selection. It doesnt mean you will be selected. You must pass acs for your file to go to the utpncm selection board for that air crew trade. If you do not pass acs, the pso at the acs center in trenton will remove the air crew trade from your application right there before returning your file to ottawa

Hmm. according to the pso the only people who get invitation for ASC are the people who are picked by the selection board and if u pass ASC mean 99% u r in. they only send people for ASC who r selected. but it wont be the first time PSO didnt pass on the right info.

airforce101 said:
Hmm. according to the pso the only people who get invitation for ASC are the people who are picked by the selection board and if u pass ASC mean 99% u r in. they only send people for ASC who r selected. but it wont be the first time PSO didnt pass on the right info.

That would mean that the selection boards have already sat....which they haven't. I was in this exact same scenario 2 years ago. I was found suitable for pilot during my interview with the PSO, file sent to DMCA (think they are still called that). They scheduled me for ACS. When I did not pass ACS, I saw the PSO that they have right at the ACS center. He told me that my file would not be considered for the Pilot selection board but would still be eligible for the other 2 trades. My file was sent back to DMCA noted as no longer suitable for pilot. My file still went to the other boards and I was selected for another trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back