• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

University Training Plan NCM (UTPNCM) 2005 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
airforce101 said:
Hmm. according to the pso the only people who get invitation for ASC are the people who are picked by the selection board and if u pass ASC mean 99% u r in. they only send people for ASC who r selected. but it wont be the first time PSO didnt pass on the right info.
If I am not mistaken the boards have not even convened yet. The UTPNCM application deadline to Ottawa is 31 January. Unless they do aircrew selections earlier?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yes for aircrew deadline was dec 16th. Thats wat i asked the PSO that y don't they send everyone suitable for ASC and then select she said they select first and then send top 3 people for pilot because there are 3 positions for pilot this year. if some one from that list fails then next person in the list goes for ASC. they can not afford to send everyone applying for pilot, ACSO or AEC for aircrew selection. the message i got to go to aircrew selection was from some captain in ottawa telling me to send my info to given email address in borden to put me on ASC course and gave me 2 dates available. one in end of jan and one end of feb.
@ sidemount.  So wat happened to ur application? did u pick from the other trades or waited to do ASC again? and do u have any suggestions for asc?  thank you

sorry just noticed u said u got selected for another trade. did you have non aircrew trades in your list? i have all aircrew trades.

airforce101 said:
Yes for aircrew deadline was dec 16th. Thats wat i asked the PSO that y don't they send everyone suitable for ASC and then select she said they select first and then send top 3 people for pilot because there are 3 positions for pilot this year. if some one from that list fails then next person in the list goes for ASC. they can not afford to send everyone applying for pilot, ACSO or AEC for aircrew selection. the message i got to go to aircrew selection was from some captain in ottawa telling me to send my info to given email address in borden to put me on ASC course and gave me 2 dates available. one in end of jan and one end of feb.
@ sidemount.  So wat happened to ur application? did u pick from the other trades or waited to do ASC again? and do u have any suggestions for asc?  thank you

So what trade are you going to ACS for? Because if the boards already sat, then you were picked for one trade, not all 3. It would suck if you were picked for pilot, but only passed for ASCO or air traffic control officer and not have an offer for those 2 trades since they were already filled. See what I mean? The boards for any of the air crew trades have not sat.

What happened with my application is, it gets sent back to DMC with only the other 2 non aircrew trade options as being suitable for selection. You don't get pick a new trade as you would have to go through an entire new interview for that particular trade. Also, you have to wait a full year before attempting ACS again.

I was selected for one of the non-aircrew trades I had picked.

airforce101 said:
My file went to ottawa mid dec and i got an email bak jan 5th to go for aircrew selection. what ive personally learnt n seen is your recomendation from ur CO and PSO play the biggest role in your selection. MY CFAT score was at the cut off line. But i had 18 career development courses and alot of  volunteer work and my chain of command really supported me. i even had a probation on my record but looking at my CoC recommendation PSO did mention that the probation wont matter.  another member i know didnt have the greatest interview with the pso, didnt no any trade specs but had an award from the wing Commander for volunteering, also got a call for aircrew selection. so it varies from trade to trade and how many ppl they want n how good u did outside work.
CO's recommendation could be, POSSESSES OFFICER LIKE QUALITIES, FIT FOR AN OFFICER, RECOMMENDED, or HES THE BEST WORKER WE HAVE, WE DO NOT WANT TO LET HIM GO BUT HE DESERVES TO GO HIGHER. STRONGLY RECOMMENDED TO BE AN OFFICER. This can help you a lot how your chain of command writes about you. Its your right to apply so they wont say no to you but the recommendation letter would say what they think about you.

Please......For the love of God....Prove to us that you are indeed educated and know how to write in English using correct grammar, spelling, punctuation and knowledge of what the SHIFT KEY is for.

Thanks

sidemount said:
So what trade are you going to ACS for? Because if the boards already sat, then you were picked for one trade, not all 3. It would suck if you were picked for pilot, but only passed for ASCO or air traffic control officer and not have an offer for those 2 trades since they were already filled. See what I mean? The boards for any of the air crew trades have not sat.

What happened with my application is, it gets sent back to DMC with only the other 2 non aircrew trade options as being suitable for selection. You don't get pick a new trade as you would have to go through an entire new interview for that particular trade. Also, you have to wait a full year before attempting ACS again.

I was selected for one of the non-aircrew trades I had picked.

what pso told me was they see if you are good enough to be an officer and qualify for the trade you have applied for they send you for ASC. the other member applied asked for ACSO  as the first preference and he got the call for ASC as well. i duno all this is confusing i am hearing alot of different things from diff places. Lets see. i will let u no wat happens if i pass or dont pass since my first preference is pilot then acso and aec. i also heard if u donot apply for pilot just acso and aec the pso tests you for acso and aec selection which is only speed, time, distance and fuel consumption.

airforce101 said:
what pso told me was they see if you are good enough to be an officer and qualify for the trade you have applied for they send you for ASC. the other member applied asked for ACSO  as the first preference and he got the call for ASC as well. i duno all this is confusing i am hearing alot of different things from diff places. Lets see. i will let u no wat happens if i pass or dont pass since my first preference is pilot then acso and aec. i also heard if u donot apply for pilot just acso and aec the pso tests you for acso and aec selection which is only speed, time, distance and fuel consumption.
The first line you wrote there, 100% yes thats how it works. You haven't been selected but you could be, so you get acs.

Best of luck with acs as it is tough...wear comfortable shoes ;)

Btw everyone will go through all the tests not just the ones for their trade...the fun part is you wont know which ones are for which until your debrief.

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

So what trades are you guys going for? Is anyone else out there going for CELE this year?

airforce101 said:
i also heard if u donot apply for pilot just acso and aec the pso tests you for acso and aec selection which is only speed, time, distance and fuel consumption.

Just so you know, only Pilot and ACSO are aircrew trades.  AEC is an Air Ops trade, but not aircrew; some, a% of them, might get a flying job, but they're just controllers etc and not involved with actually flying/employing the airplane like Pilots and ACSOs are. (i.e. flight crew vice aircrew).  Sort of like how all Loadmasters (traffic techs by trade) are flight crew (specialized) vice Aircrew (Pilots, ACSOs, Flight Engineers, SAR Techs and AES Ops).

Good luck!

ridsteram said:
So what trades are you guys going for? Is anyone else out there going for CELE this year?

I'm going for HCA, LOG, TDEV.  I know a guy going for CELE.  He placed 2nd last year for the one position and will likely get it this year but you never know.

How does he know he got second? I know one guy that got accepted for CELE last year and he said they hired two....

Edit: If you don't mind me asking as well what trade/rank is he?

ridsteram said:
How does he know he got second? I know one guy that got accepted for CELE last year and he said they hired two....

Edit: If you don't mind me asking as well what trade/rank is he?

He was ATIS Tech Cpl.

hitchy_11 said:
I have heard that utpncm is very difficult to obtain acceptance to. I've been in for 12 years and have 1 year left in my Bach business admin. I'm trying to go HCA. Would it be easier to get accepted through SCP as opposed to utpncm?

* I apologize for typing and grammatical errors, I'm on my phone *

Hi! To clarify, UTPNCM is for junior NCM mbrs usually offered to Cpl/LS with PLQ and observed potential to excel as an officer. Application is done for this, and one requires blessings from his unit CO. When all paperwork is good, UTPNCM is just like ROTP for RegF NCM mbrs. CFR, commission from ranks, is for PO2 and up who wish to commission to officer trade related to their current/previous trade and experience (ex. clerk to Log O, or WEng Tech to CSE O). They don't need a degree; they're just commissioned. According to the reference (which I don't remember on top of my head), PO2 becomes ASLt, PO1 gets SLt, CPO2 or CPO1 can get Lt(N). SCP, special commission plan, is for old chiefs and chief warrants. It's for high-end snr NCM's, usually CPO2 or CPO1, and it is usually offered to them. They start off as SLt or Lt(N).

FYI! Hope that helped.

Actually that is factually incorrect.

UTPNCM is open to all NCMs who have reached OFP. You have to have at least four university credits and be accepted for full time studies at RMC or other Canadian University in a program listed for your chosen Officer occupation (for example an Arts degree is probably not acceptable for An engineering occupation).  It is competitive.

CFR is a nomination plan (CO must nominate based on the mbrs experience and leadership potential). Normally within their branch but may be recommended to an unaffiliated occupation with a waiver.

SCP is open for any NCM at OFP possesing a degree acceptable for the chosen officer occupation. Mbr must apply, be recommended by CO & BPSO and it can be competitive.

Special Requirements Commissioning Plan is for CWO or CPO1s to commission.

As a WO I have applied twice for UTPNCM including this years competition. I was not picked up the first time. All Officer production plans are competitive as there are limited spots (last year PAO had one opening for UTPNCM and one or two for SCP).

I recommend speaking to your BPSO to find the best plan to apply for, they are the experts and I have not been led astray in my 20 years...

RatCatcher said:

UTPNCM is open to all NCMs who have reached OFP. You have to have at least four university credits and be accepted for full time studies at RMC or other Canadian University in a program listed for your chosen Officer occupation (for example an Arts degree is probably not acceptable for An engineering occupation).  It is competitive.

CFR is a nomination plan (CO must nominate based on the mbrs experience and leadership potential). Normally within their branch but may be recommended to an unaffiliated occupation with a waiver.

SCP is open for any NCM at OFP possesing a degree acceptable for the chosen officer occupation. Mbr must apply, be recommended by CO & BPSO and it can be competitive.

As a WO I have applied twice for UTPNCM including this years competition. I was not picked up the first time. All Officer production plans are competitive as there are limited spots (last year PAO had one opening for UTPNCM and one or two for SCP).

I recommend speaking to your BPSO to find the best plan to apply for, they are the experts and I have not been led astray in my 20 years...

Thank you for the correction! I now know correctly.

RatCatcher said:

This is wrong too. You actually only need two full university credits to be eligible for UTPNCM. The requirements are as follows:

Citizenship - An applicant must be a Canadian citizen or, if a landed immigrant, meet the requirements of DAOD 5002-1.
•Component - The UTPNCM is open to members of the Regular Force only.Terms of Service (TOS) - TOS eligibility requirements are suspended IAW ref B, until such time as a policy review is conducted. At present, potential applicants must be able to complete their current TOS within all periods of academic study or obligatory service; if deemed insufficient, appropriate TOS shall be offered to the applicant and come into effect only upon commissioning.
•Period of Remaining Service - An applicant must be able to complete all periods of academic training and obligatory service in accordance with DAOD 5049-1, Obligatory Service, prior to completing an intermediate engagement of either 20 or 25 years of service or a Fixed Period of Service that gives them 20 years of combined (previous and current) Regular Force service.
•Rank - Each applicant must be substantive Cpl or higher by the closing date of competition. Substantive is defined as holding both the requisite rank and military qualification for that rank. According to Ref A para 3, CF officers are ineligible for the UTPNCM program.
•Pre-Entry Test - Applicants must meet the minimum Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) standard for commissioning.
•Medical Standards - An applicant must meet minimum military occupation structure medical standards in accordance with ADM (HR-Mil) Instruction 11/04. (See also CFP 154 Annex E) The applicant's medical profile must be awarded or confirmed within the 12 month period immediately prior to the competition closing date.
•Physical Fitness - IAW refs F and G, each applicant must pass a physical fitness evaluation within one year of the application deadline, or within two years if the applicant has achieved either: an exemption standard under the CF Express Incentive Program; or any applicable environmental or occupation standard that is equal to or higher than the minimum personal fitness standard, such as the Land Force Command Physical Fitness Standard.
•Academic Standards - An applicant must successfully complete a minimum of two full credit university courses or their equivalent, and admissible to an accredited Canadian university. Applicants may not normally possess a university degree or diploma that would otherwise meet acceptable CF Entry Standards under the Special Commissioning Plan for a specific occupation. Academic courses in progress will be considered only if final marks are made available to DMCPG 5-2 by 30 Jan of the competition year.

If you look at what they conside a full course, its a course that spans a full fall and winter semester. For the vast majority of university courses, they only cover half that. This is where the 4 courses comes from.

edit to add from the DAOD:

Academic Requirements

3.3 An applicant is also required to meet the following academic requirements to be eligible for the UTPNCM:

have successfully completed a minimum of two full-credit baccalaureate level courses or equivalent during the ten-year period preceding the date of application;
Note – A full-credit course, e.g. six credit hours, is normally taken during the September-April academic period and extends through both fall and winter semesters. A course covering one semester, e.g. September-December or January-April, with the final examination in December or April, is normally a half-credit course, e.g. three credit hours.

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

I've heard the boards haven't sat yet for UTP. Hopefully soon!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back