• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

Can you guys that are still in get issued those fur hats we had in the 70s? LCol Gollner ordered us to wear them in the 76-77 winter season.

It was delightful.
Nope. Long since retired.

We do get the Muskrat monstrosity I have yet to wear on parade. Made a great hat for arctic operations. Weirdest "dress uniform used as operational kit" experience I've had in my career.

2-76306-Black.jpg

Nope. Long since retired.

We do get the Muskrat monstrosity I have yet to wear on parade. Made a great hat for arctic operations. Weirdest "dress uniform used as operational kit" experience I've had in my career.

View attachment 77004
I kinda like it. Waaaaay better then a tuque . I whore it all the time (but only below -15 before you say that it’s not for summer 😂).

Can you guys that are still in get issued those fur hats we had in the 70s? LCol Gollner ordered us to wear them in the 76-77 winter season.

It was delightful.
Yeah. This piece of wonder.

1680064393347.jpeg

Some people never did learn how to shape it properly.

They came out earlier. I remember wearing those when we went to Winnipeg to do a salute in January or February of 1972 for Edgar Benson when he was MND for six months. That was one freezing trip home on the Trans Canada in 3/4 ton TPUs and Deuces. The freaking hat did have ear flaps tucked in it. It was a horrible piece of kit but better in Manitoba at minus 20 than a forage cap.

Yeah. This piece of wonder.

View attachment 77005

Some people never did learn how to shape it properly.

They came out earlier. I remember wearing those when we went to Winnipeg to do a salute in January or February of 1972 for Edgar Benson when he was MND for six months. That was one freezing trip home on the Trans Canada in 3/4 ton TPUs and Deuces. The freaking hat did have ear flaps tucked in it. It was a horrible piece of kit but better in Manitoba at minus 20 than a forage cap.

I think RMC still has cadets in them.

We started peacocking and tweaking the thing almost from the day that it came out.
That line made me recall something about the old uniforms. There was something about the WWI (high collared) uniforms supposed to be loose-fitting (it was a combat uniform after all), but it got peacocked to the point that it was hard to raise arms to fire weapons.

Same with the WWII Battle Dress jackets and Navy Square Rig uniform jumpers.

Now, I have no idea how true any of that was, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

That line made me recall something about the old uniforms. There was something about the WWI (high collared) uniforms supposed to be loose-fitting (it was a combat uniform after all), but it got peacocked to the point that it was hard to raise arms to fire weapons.

Same with the WWII Battle Dress jackets and Navy Square Rig uniform jumpers.

Now, I have no idea how true any of that was, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

I'm not sure about peacocking in the square rig. Generally our sailors were viewed as unkept and slovenly when it comes to WW2. Yet did yoemans work in MGB/MTBs and ASW.

I'm not sure about peacocking in the square rig. Generally our sailors were viewed as unkept and slovenly when it comes to WW2. Yet did yoemans work in MGB/MTBs and ASW.
I've seen a cartoon drawing of a WWII Canadian Sailor going on a run ashore in his best tidily rig. I'll see if I can find it on the interweb.

Found it.

sentinel_1973-5_tiddley_rig_700px.jpg

He has an earing! See its tradition!

We need to do more to celebrate this guy:

View attachment 77014
That was a group of pirates for sure!

7902969.jpg

Back