• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Election: 2016

Jed said:
It's interesting that you call this the Republican Clown Show.  I ask you what is worse the Republican clown show where one candidate declares his intentions, one who had the cajones to voice his opinion against unmitigated stupidity of both Democratic and Republican parties or the ongoing corruption and obfuscation of the primary candidate of the Democratic party?

What I am calling the Republican Clown show is the 9 or 10 fringe candidates that will eventually throw their hats into the ring, and force the party to run so far to the right that they are now skirting the left end of the spectrum. All this results in the one or two main stream party candidates to pander to the right in order to get through the primary, only to make a move back to the center for the general. The GOP as it has over the past two presidential cycles will eat it's own. Perhaps this year will be different, but I suspect not.

Yesterday I heard the former Chair of the RNC suggest that the GOP should nominate a candidate from the right and not the mainstream. This will force them to finally come to a reckoning with the current schism within the party, and I have to agree. They got their knickers all in a knot after they had their asses handed to them in 2012 when the election was theirs to loose. They did the autopsy and pledged to make the party more electable across the spectrum, but have done nothing to show that was the case. They drew the wrong message from the results of the 2014 mid-terms. It was less a thumbs up to the GOP than it was a thumbs down on the administration and congress in general in a gerrymandered electoral map that all but assured the status quo. Lets not forget that Dem voter turnout is typically down in the midterms, which is their burden to deal with. You get the government you deserve.

As for the Dems, they have a bigger problem than the GOP clown show. Clinton should not be the presumptive nominee. But there really is no one who can challenge, that should be throwing their hats into that circus ring. Personally I think Clinton if elected will be a more divisive figure than Obama has been, and congress will be less productive than it is now, if that is even possible. Unfortunately there is no real viable challenger to ward off a coronation. Elizabeth Warren won't challenge, and she would be much more effective as part of the Senate Leadership. There is some thought that there is a pseudo or shadow primary by the way Warren is making speeches and commentary forcing Clinton to respond. But that will be the extent of her involvement in the Democratic nomination process.

Not sure if I answered your question Jed, but just to clarify, I don't really have a high opinion of either side at the moment. And unfortunately, living so close to the Beltway, I am going to have to continue listening to the BS for the next 18 months. :facepalm:

From my isolated position up here in Canada I see this much the same as you Cupper. I may be wrong but I think the will of US people will pick a good one at the end of it all because they are heartily sick of of the piss poor performance they have seen over the past dozen or so years.  For the sake of North America I hope I am correct.  ;)

Jed said:
From my isolated position up here in Canada I see this much the same as you Cupper. I may be wrong but I think the will of US people will pick a good one at the end of it all because they are heartily sick of of the piss poor performance they have seen over the past dozen or so years.  For the sake of North America I hope I am correct.  ;)

You and me both. :nod:

It's always the seemingly innocent, innocuous questions that can trip you up.

After 9/11, True Patriot Ted Cruz Sacrificed His Love of Rock Music for America and the Republican Party

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/03/ted-cruz-sacrificed-rock-music-after-911.html

In an interview with CBS This Morning, Ted Cruz divulged that he used to love classic rock, but switched over to country because of 9/11. “My music taste changed on 9/11,” the presidential candidate said. “I actually intellectually find this very curious, but on 9/11, I didn’t like how rock music responded,” he said. “And country music, collectively, the way they responded, it resonated with me.” The inevitably boring interview question of what music a politician listens to has, in this case, yielded a fascinating and revealing answer.

Of course, the thing about classic rock is that it mostly didn’t respond to 9/11 at all, since most of it was written in the decades beforehand. To the extent that it did respond, it was in keeping with the patriotic spirit of the moment. Many of the biggest classic rock stars participated in “America: A Tribute to Heroes” ten days after the attacks. As the name of the event implies, the event was not exactly a Chomsky-esque exercise in attributing the attacks to blowback caused by imperial overstretch. The single biggest classic rock star, Paul McCartney, wrote a song the next day, “Freedom,” the proceeds of which he donated to families of the victims and the NYPD.

It is true, however, that, in general, rock stars did not reach the jingoist heights of their country brethren. The rockers were mourning victims and celebrating freedom; country stars were demanding blood. That was a real partisan cultural divide. That divide overlaid a related cultural trend during the Bush years, during which the Republican Party defined itself as the representative of “real America,” as represented by pickup trucks, NASCAR, small towns, country music, and the most rigidly nationalistic forms of patriotism. It is easy to forget now just how important (and frequently ridiculous) heartland cultural authenticity, and corresponding disdain for decadent urban intellectual elites, was to Republican Party identification at the time.

And here is where Cruz’s musical conversion reveals something interesting about his character. Raised by a militant conservative for a career in political activism, Cruz initially channeled his ambitions through formal education, which bred an intense intellectual snobbery. People who knew him recall Cruz asking them about their IQ and refusing to study in grad school with anybody who didn’t attend Harvard, Yale, or Princeton (a cutoff that only a Princeton grad would define).

At some point in his career, this snobbery became not only unnecessary but a hindrance to advancement. In George W. Bush’s Republican Party, populist authenticity, not Ivy league credentialism, was the cherished social currency. That Cruz was both willing and able to reorder his musical preferences to conform to the party line in the cultural struggle is an incredible testament to his personal willpower.

As often happens with Cruz, his professed fanaticism raises the question of whether he actually believes what he claims. Has the good senator actually stopped listening to the classic rock he spent decades enjoying? If so, does he ever feel tempted to listen to his old favorites, or has he internalized the party line so thoroughly that the mere sound of “The Wall” or “Beggar’s Banquet” and its decadent cosmopolitan liberalism now sickens him?

Alternatively, if Cruz is making this up — if he maintains a private stash of pre-9/11 classic rock that he indulges only when alone or in the presence of his most trusted confidantes — it would be, in a way, even more impressive. It would be attractive to imagine Cruz as the mirror-image equivalent of Cold War–era Soviet citizens locked furtively in his apartment, listening to taped-over bootleg Beatles cassettes, hoping no loyal party members overhear. Keep on rockin’ in the free world, Senator Cruz.

cupper said:
What I am calling the Republican Clown show is the 9 or 10 fringe candidates that will eventually throw their hats into the ring, and force the party to run so far to the right that they are now skirting the left end of the spectrum. All this results in the one or two main stream party candidates to pander to the right in order to get through the primary, only to make a move back to the center for the general. The GOP as it has over the past two presidential cycles will eat it's own. Perhaps this year will be different, but I suspect not.

You never know who is actually going to be "the one" for quite some time, and of course this is a form of marketplace where ideas can be shopped around and the ones which resonate the most among the "customer base" will eventually be chosen.

And of course, there is always the hope that the other candidates may self destruct and leave "your" candidate the last one standing. I recall a political party here in Canada which had several outstanding leadership candidates with well reasoned, internally consistent policy platforms who were eventually defeated by a candidate who had (and indeed has) no policy ideas at all....

Thoughts, cupper? Isn't she a former US Army helo pilot who was wounded in combat in Iraq?

CBS News

Tammy Duckworth is running for Senate

Democratic Rep. Tammy Duckworth of Illinois announced Monday that she's challenging Sen. Mark Kirk, one of the most vulnerable Republicans up for re-election in 2016. She is the first Democrat to officially enter the Senate race.

In an online video, the two-term congresswoman shares her biography with Illinois voters, highlighting some of the economic hardships her family went through during her childhood. She financed her way through college with "loans, Pell grants and lots of waitressing," Duckworth says.

(...SNIPPED)

S.M.A. said:
Thoughts, cupper? Isn't she a former US Army helo pilot who was wounded in combat in Iraq?

CBS News

She's the one. From what I have seen of her time in Congress she would make a very good Senator.

In her first term in the House she returned over $100K left over from her annual $1.2M office budget, rather than spend needlessly. (Policy is to use it or lose it, no carry over to the next year). She only hired staff when needed as the workload expanded. She sponsored the No Budget, No Pay bill to ensure that Congress passed a budget every year rather than go through the theatrics of shutdown threats and kicking the can down the road. She even returned $10K of her own salary that covered the period from the sequester that resulted in the furlough of Federal employees.

Here is an interesting interview from Stars and Strips discussing the incident in Iraq that resulted in the downing of her Blackhawk.

http://www.stripes.com/news/the-pedals-were-gone-and-so-were-my-legs-1.34578

Personally I think it's time for fresh younger (relatively speaking) bodies in Congress. A lot of the old guard are not standing for reelection, the public reason being the desire to spend time with the family. I think it has more to do with the BS we've seen for the past 12 or so years (longer if you want to look for it in the Clinton years), and senior members getting fed up with the lack of cooperation, and intransigence of the newer inexperienced members.

Deeper in the background, this is the "fundamental change in America" that many people want. The writer is correct, however. There are far more people opposed, and once they are organized, they will play by the new rules the "elites" have created:

http://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2015/04/05/liberals-may-regret-their-new-rules-n1980933/page/full

Liberals May Regret Their New Rules
Kurt Schlichter | Apr 05, 2015
Kurt Schlichter

That photo is me about ten years ago, standing in the ruins of a land where people rejected the rule of law in favor of the rule of force. I think a lot about my year-long deployment to Kosovo these days. I think a lot about people today who, for short term political points, cavalierly disregard the rules, laws and norms that made America what it is. I think a lot about how liberals, especially those who boo God, should pray to Him that those rules, laws and norms are restored.

I am most certainly not smiling – I am squinting in the winter sun, having doffed my ever-present Ray-Bans. Behind me is – well, was – a village along the Ibar River in northern Kosovo. In the 1990s, it was full of Serbs and gypsies (The new, politically correct term is “Roma”). Back then, after the disintegration of Yugoslavia, Kosovo was a province of Serbia. Without rehashing the centuries of ancient animosities and grievances, the Orthodox Serbs found themselves unrestrained by the political consensus that Josip Tito had enforced and began an escalating series of petty and not-so-petty oppressions against the Kosovar Albanians. The “K-Albs” are about 10% Christian but mostly moderate Muslims (we called them “party Muslims,” and our troops used to love to go on patrol through K-Alb towns during the spring when the gorgeous Albanian women were in full effect). They were a minority in Serbia as a whole, but a majority in the province of Kosovo.

Now, there’s no understanding Balkan hatreds – don’t even try. But basically, the tensions really kicked in after Slobodan Milosevic came to the battlefield at Kosovo Polje in 1989 on the 500th anniversary of the Muslim Ottoman Turks annihilating the cream of Serbian nobility. Thereafter, the campaign of exclusion and harassment against the K-Albs by Serbs ratcheted up. Where they had lived together in peace before, now the Serbs – unrestrained by laws, rules or norms – became increasingly despotic.

Eventually, the Serbs tried to drive out the despised minority K-Albs. NATO intervened and saved the Albanians, who promptly came back and drove the Serbs out. The Roma, perceived as allies of the Serbs, fled too. That village behind me wasn’t blown up by explosives. That damage was done by people, with picks and shovels and bare hands.

Which brings us to America in 2015. It’s becoming a nation where an elite that is certain of its power and its moral rightness is waging a cultural war on a despised minority. Except it’s not actually a minority – it only seems that way because it is marginalized by the coastal elitist liberals who run the mainstream media.

Today in America, we have a liberal president refuses to recognize the majority sent to Congress as a reaction to his progressive failures, and who uses extra-Constitutional means like executive orders to stifle the voice of his opponents. We have a liberal establishment on a secular jihad against people who dare place their conscience ahead of progressive dogma. And we have two different sets of laws, one for the little people and one for liberals like Lois Lerner, Al Sharpton and Hillary Clinton, who can blatantly commit federal crimes and walk away scot free and smirking.

Today in America, a despised minority that is really no minority is the target of an establishment that considers this minority unworthy of respect, unworthy of rights, and unworthy of having a say in the direction of this country. It’s an establishment that has one law for itself, and another for its enemies. It’s an establishment that inflicts an ever-increasing series of petty humiliations on its opponents and considers this all hilarious.

That’s a recipe for disaster. You cannot expect to change the status quo for yourself and then expect those you victimize not to play by the new rules you have created. You cannot expect to be able to discard the rule of law in favor of the rule of force and have those you target not respond in kind.

Liberals ask how a baker can believe that making a cake for a same sex wedding violates his conscience, but they don’t think about how the standard they are setting is that the government now gets to determine the validity of individual beliefs. Do they want us passing judgment on them?

Liberals imagine that their president can simply take whatever actions he pleases – including ones he previously admitted were unconstitutional – and that the next Republican president won’t do the same. Except then it will be to negate their cherished policies.

Liberals praise Harry Reid for lying about Mitt Romney and for ensuring the GOP’s voice can’t be heard on Capitol Hill, but they don’t think about what happens to them when they are out of power in an environment where slander is the norm and where minorities have no say. Conservatives have principles, but human nature is a powerful thing, and human nature favors payback.

The revolt has begun, peacefully. In 2010, and again in 2014, the Silent Majority returned and sent an unmistakable message to the liberal elite. When Bill Clinton got that message in 1994, he recognized that opposition and worked with it. But under Obama, the liberal elite acts to ignore and delegitimize the opposition. 2014 was not a tantrum; it was a warning, and the liberals are betting that they can bluff and bluster their way through it.

When you block all normal means of dissent, whether by ignoring the political will of you opponents or using the media to mock and abuse them, you build up the pressure. In 30+ years as an active conservative, I’ve never heard people so angry, so frustrated, so fed up. These emotions are supposed to be dissipated by normal political processes. But liberals are bottling them up. And they will blow. It’s only a matter of how.

Liberals need to understand the reality that rarely penetrates their bubble. Non-liberal Americans (it’s more than just conservatives who are under the liberal establishment’s heel) are the majority of this country. They hold power in many states and regions in unprecedented majorities. And these attacks focus on what they hold dearest – their religion, their families and their freedom.

What is the end game, liberals? Do you expect these people you despise to just take it? Do you think they’ll just shrug their shoulders and say, “Well, I guess we better comply?” Do you even know any real Americans? Do you think you’ll somehow be able to force them into obedience – for what is government power but force – after someone finally says “Enough?”

In my book Conservative Insurgency, I offer a scenario set in the late 2010s where the Texas governor refuses to allow Hillary Clinton to enforce an unconstitutional handgun ban within his state. It devolves into a brief, bloody spasm of violence, after which a sobered country walks back from the precipice and returns to resolving conflicts through the Constitution (albeit, with some lingering damage to our political and social norms). But there is no guarantee that things might not spin out of control the other way. And then liberals would be well advised to ask themselves who will be willing to fight and die to preserve their power and policies. In contrast, there are an awful lot of people willing to fight and die for their religion and our Constitution.

And let’s be blunt – these are the people with most of the guns and the training to use them. That’s the reality of the rule of force. I’ve seen it – it’s there behind me in that photo.

Now, this will no doubt draw the lie that I am somehow advocating violence. The current liberal habit of shamelessly lying about their opponents makes civil debate impossible. Similarly, the mockery of non-liberals before stacked audiences of trained seals a la Jon Stewart is part and parcel of the same strategy of delegitimizing any opposition. Closing down the option of discussion leaves their opponents with only the option of action. So far, the action has only been in funding campaigns for oppressed pizzerias and in the voting booth – though they’ve trying to nullify that too.

I’m not advocating violence – I am warning liberals that they are setting the conditions for violence.

And that better worry them, for the coastal elites are uniquely unsuited to a world where force rules instead of law. The Serbs were, at least, a warrior people. The soft boys and girls who brought us helicopter parenting, “trigger warnings” and coffee cups with diversity slogans are not.

I know the endgame of discarding the rule of law for short-term advantage because I stood in its ruins. Liberals think this free society just sort of happened, that they can poke and tear at its fabric and things will just go on as before. But they won’t. So at the end of the day, if you want a society governed by the rule of force, you better pray that you’re on the side with the guns and those who know how to use them.

T6, Cupper, Rifleman62...perhaps Hillary can stop denying it now that she wanted Bill's former office the whole time...

Reuters

Clinton to announce presidential bid on Sunday: Democratic official
Reuters – 1 hour 14 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Hillary Clinton is expected on Sunday to announce, via video and social media, her intention to seek the Democratic presidential nomination, a party official told Reuters on Friday.
Following the announcement, the former secretary of state will travel to the key primary states of Iowa and New Hampshire, said the source, who is close to Clinton.
"She's expected to make her intention to run known on Sunday," the source said.

(...SNIPPED)

:facepalm:

Glad I am home in Canada.

Damn. I have to go back for meetings next week.  :facepalm:

S.M.A.
T6, Cupper, Rifleman62...perhaps Hillary can stop denying it now that she wanted Bill's former office the whole time...

As long as I never hear from her: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

Rifleman62 said:
S.M.A.
As long as I never hear from her: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

You were saying?  ;D

Meme-Hillary-I-Did-Not-Have-Textual-Relations-With-That-Server-Lars-Larson.jpg

Very good one S.M.A.

God or whomever help the USA and the World if she gets elected, or Obama, light, north, here.

Rifleman62 said:
S.M.A.

Now there is a visual that I will never get out of my head. :boke:

The NRA may have stepped on it's own … umm … future.

Wayne LaPierre's "Demographically Symbolic" Dog Whistle

http://www.pagunblog.com/2015/04/13/wayne-lapierres-demographically-symbolic-dog-whistle/

It’s really not often you’ll find me agreeing with the Internet trolls at Media Matters, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Media Matters linked to a portion of Wayne’s Speech at the NRA Annual Meeting, which I must have missed when we skipped out to cover the MDA protest. Here’s video for the context:

http://mediamatters.org/video/2015/04/12/nras-wayne-lapierre-on-clinton-and-obama-eight/203250

Wayne was quoted saying, “eight years of one demographically symbolic president is enough,” in the context of Hillary Clinton following Barack Obama into the presidency. What the hell is that even supposed to mean? Why bother with the dog whistle? Just come out and say “We don’t need another affirmative action token President,” and be done with it, because isn’t that what was really said?

What speechwriter of Waynes’s thought it was a good idea to put that jab in there? How did Wayne, who presumably might have practiced the delivery once or twice, not realize how this is going to sound to blacks, hispanics, and women? Are Ben Carson or Bobby Jundal “demographically symbolic?” Or what about Marco Rubio,  Suzana Martinez, or Carly Fiorina, all of whom might throw their hat into the ring themselves, or be a sensible veep picks. It’s not just Republicans either. What about Democratic Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clark? At what point does one become merely “demographically symbolic?” I don’t understand the rules for this.

I am not coming at this from the same angle as Media Matters, because I don’t want to give NRA or Wayne a black eye; I want them to be more effective. I don’t believe this error is going to take down the NRA, and I don’t believe Wayne is a racist or sexist. His very capable executive assistant, who essentially runs his office, is a female minority. Whoever wrote or reviewed that speech made a very serious lapse in judgement. Before folks comment that I’m just tooling for the politically correct junta, and that there isn’t anything wrong with saying things that imply White Male Conservatives need to be in charge, there’s a bit of reality you need to understand.

One is that the issue has made tremedous progress among women. Each year there are more women and families on the NRA Annual Meeting show floor than the previous year. Bitter even brought out her brother’s whole family this year, since they live in the Nashville area. Where women go, families follow. It is very important to appeal to women, and dog whistling to white males is not how accomplish that.

Second, this issue has to reach out to blacks and hispanics, and win them over. You’ll hear criticism of NRA for not getting involved in the immigration issue. I agree they should not, because even if you stopped the flow of illegal immigrants completely, hispanics are still going to grow as a share of the voting public for the simple reason that they are having children at a greater rate compared to other demographics. You will not fix this problem with even perfect border control, only delay the inevitable.

NRA has no choice: it must reach out to women, blacks and hispanics if it wishes to secure the long term health of the Second Amendment. Polling among these groups show we have a base of understanding that we can use to get the conversation moving. Statements like Wayne’s not only don’t help us achieve our goals, but serve to reinforce the notion that NRA is an organization for White Male Conservatives. The implication is even stronger when Wayne makes that statement on a stage where the only people visible are other White Male Conservatives. NRA hasn’t had a female President since Sandy Froman left the stage eight years ago. Despite a huge influx of women into the issue, I don’t notice the nominating committe reaching out to try to attract more women on the Board.

If in ten to twenty years NRA is only an organization for White Male Conservatives, the NRA will become an irrelevant organization.

Not really sure how to take this. Seriously, is this necessary or even a good idea?

Cruz takes Second Amendment fight to military bases

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/ted-cruz-2016-second-amendment-gun-rights-117133.html?hp=b2_c1

LITCHFIELD, N.H.—Appealing to New Hampshire’s powerful gun culture, Sen. Ted Cruz said Sunday that he’s “pressing” Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John McCain to hold hearings on whether soldiers should be allowed to carry their own concealed firearms onto military bases.

“I am very concerned about that policy,” the Texas senator told 120 gun owners at a hunting club here, before taking a trip to a firing range for some target practice. “I think it’s very important to have a public discussion about why we’re denying our soldiers the ability to exercise their Second Amendment rights.”

Flanked by a flapping Gadsden flag on a crisp afternoon, he spent the better part of an hour-long town hall at the Londonderry Fish & Game Club touting his record on the Second Amendment. His wife, Heidi, stood behind him wearing a black cap that said “Armed & Fabulous.”

After three mass shootings at military installations in five years, including another at Ford Hood last year, pro-gun activists have argued that letting troops arm themselves on the job would give them a better ability to defend themselves.

Generals have argued that only military police officers should be able to carry weapons freely around base. Many in the chain of command believe more guns would only lead to more violence, especially among those who suffer from mental instability as a consequence of combat.

“I want to give an opportunity for the military leadership to lay out their views,” Cruz told a woman who asked him about the issue.

Cruz said he is not afraid to take on the brass. He touted his success at persuading every Republican and Democrat on the Armed Services Committee to support a bill that awarded Purple Hearts to every soldier wounded in the 2009 Fort Hood shooting. The government resisted giving out the medals on the grounds that it was not in combat.

“We did it over the active opposition of the Obama Pentagon,” he said.

Cruz, who entered the Senate in 2013, is making an aggressive effort to overcome the criticism that he lacks the accomplishments to justify running for president. Part of that is embracing the old Bill Buckley definition of conservatism (“a fellow who is standing athwart history, yelling stop”).

The senator took credit for helping block any new laws in the aftermath of the elementary school massacre in Newtown, Connecticut. He said many in the Senate Republican conference believed tough new laws were inevitable after the horrific act.

“If y’all were sitting in the Senate Republican lunches, you’d have jumped out the window, because the sentiment there was that ‘this is a freight train, it can’t be stopped, get out of the way,’” Cruz recalled

He recalled partnering with Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul and Utah Sen. Mike Lee to pledge a filibuster of any gun-related bill the Friday before a two-week recess.

“What we were trying to do was real simple: slow things down,” he said.

Cruz said background check laws might have passed had gun groups not mobilized to put pressure on wavering Republicans.

Gun rights are a big deal in the Live Free or Die state. Scott Brown’s support for an assault weapons ban and other gun laws, dating to
his time in Massachusetts, was the primary reason that he won less than 50 percent of the vote in the GOP Senate primary last September.

All the Republicans pledge support for gun rights, and many will try to one-up each other going into next February’s primary.

Leaders from several gun groups, including Gun Rights Across America, the New Hampshire Firearms Coalition and the Women’s Defense League, gave Cruz a very positive reception.

The woman who introduced the senator noted the significance of Sunday being April 19, the day that the American Revolution began. “Civilian firearms ownership freed the colonies,” she said. “We want to keep it that way.”

When his microphone cut out, Cruz jokingly blamed Attorney General Eric Holder for cutting it off. Then he began to yell so that the crowd of 120 could hear.

During his visit to New Hampshire this week, Jeb Bush said he thinks the Senate should confirm Loretta Lynch as attorney general.
Cruz, for this part, heavily emphasized on both Saturday and Sunday that he’s “leading the fight” against her nomination.

“We understand that in a Republican primary everyone comes along and says they’re most conservative,” he said. “I’m confident you’re not going to see a Republican come to the state of New Hampshire and say, ‘You know what? I’m an establishment moderate who stands for nothing.’ They’re not going to admit that.”

Cruz went shooting after his speech, but reporters were not allowed to go with him to the firing range.

One of the most interesting moments from Cruz’s exchange with the activists came when he complained about how much of his time he spends fundraising.

“I’ve told my six-year-old daughter, ‘Running for office is real simple: you just surgically disconnect your shame sensor,’” he said.

“Because you spend every day asking people for money. You walk up and say, ‘How are you doing, sir? Can I have money? Great to see you, lovely shirt, please give me money.’ That’s what running for office is like.”

Cruz, the son of a Cuban refugee, said he puts up with the hassle because he thinks the future of the country is at stake.

“If we lose our freedom here,” he asked, “where do we go?”

And I question the drive for issuing Purple Hearts to members wounded in the Fort Hood Shootings over objections of the Military Brass. Unless I'm mistaken, is not the Purple Heart meant to be issued to members wounded in combat situations. Now I know that the actual qualifications can be stretched to some incredible limits (there is a family story of a distant cousin who served with the US Army in Vietnam who received a Purple Heart when he was cut while shaving when a grenade went off in the forward base he was at, but I take that story with a grain of salt).

Any of our US members want to chime in?

Can't say I disagree on this one.

A Lame Duck From Day One
For 124 years, every Democratic president has taken office controlling both houses of Congress. Hillary Clinton isn’t likely to be so lucky.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/04/hillary-clinton-lame-duck-congress-117314.html?hp=m1#.VT7h4EuRtM8

If elected, Hillary Clinton would make history as the first woman to occupy the Oval Office. There is, however, another historical precedent she might set. If Clinton wins the presidency, and the Republicans retain the Senate and the House of Representatives, it will be the first time in the history of the Democratic party—going back 188 years—that a Democrat will be elected president with the opposition party controlling both chambers of congress.

Only three times in the history of the office has a newly-elected president been faced with the opposition party controlling both houses—Zachary Taylor in 1848, Richard Nixon in 1968 and George H. W. Bush in 1988. Of those three, Zachary Taylor, as a Whig, predates the modern two parties. Three vice-presidents found themselves facing unified opposition after becoming president through the line of succession: Millard Fillmore after Taylor's death; Gerald Ford after Nixon's resignation; and Andrew Johnson, as a Democrat on a unity ticket, after Lincoln's assassination. But none were subsequently elected in their own right.

Granted, for all the reasons Doug Sosnik lists, Democrats have a good chance of retaking the Senate. But, even if Democrats only lose the House, Clinton would start her presidency with less freedom to operate than any other modern-day Democratic Party president. Since Grover Cleveland's second administration in 1892, every elected Democratic president has taken office with both houses of Congress—an unbroken run of 124 years.

The dubious distinction Clinton faces has a broader dynamic behind it—we are in the era of divided government. From 1900 to 1968, government was divided for only fourteen years, or a mere 20 percent of the time. Over the last 46 years, however, government has been divided for 36 years—or a whopping 78 percent of the time. Nixon dealt with opposition control of both chambers for the entirety of his administration; Reagan for his last two years; George H. W. Bush for his whole term; Clinton for three quarters of his. George W. Bush almost faced Democratic control of both chambers at the beginning of his presidency. Both he and Obama lost control of both houses with two years left in office.

A scenario where Clinton wins the Presidency and the Republicans retain control of both houses of Congress is fairly plausible. The changing nature of incumbency means there is a very strong chance the Republicans will retain the House of Representatives. The last House election had a 95 percent incumbency rate, despite Congress' overall approval rating floundering in the mid-teens. Only a small percentage of House seats are competitive these days, partly due to gerrymandering and partly to a startling urban-rural divide, with the Democratic base increasingly concentrated in cities.

To reclaim the House, Democrats would need to win thirty seats. In historical terms, this is a huge number. Since 1950, gains that large have occurred six times during midterm elections, when partisan waves often appear, but only twice in presidential years. The most likely scenarios, at this point, are modest to substantial gains, with the Democrats falling short of the necessary thirty seats.

The dynamics of the Senate races in 2016 would initially seem to favor the Democrats, because only 10 Senate Democrat seats are up for re-election, whereas the Republicans have to defend 24. But the Democrats will still have a lot of work to do to overturn the current Republican 54-seat majority. The conventional wisdom is that the Democrats would have to carry all three likely toss-up races: Illinois, Wisconsin and Florida, and at least one of four “lean-Republican” states: Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Ohio and New Hampshire, whilst defending two vulnerable states of their own, Nevada and Colorado—in order just to get to fifty seats.

Candidate selection matters, and could tip the balance. After the disasters of Sharron Angle and Christine O'Donnell in 2010, and Richard Mourdock and Todd Akin in 2012, the Republicans have been far more disciplined, with a better field of Senate candidates in 2014, and they have a number of strong incumbents in 2016.

In Nevada, Harry Reid’s retirement gives Republicans an opportunity to go on offense. Popular Republican Gov. Brian Sandoval cruised to reelection in November with 70 percent of the vote; Republicans have been urging him to consider a Senate bid.
In Wisconsin, Republican Sen. Ron Johnson has the ability to self-fund a campaign, is liked by the big-spending Koch brothers and may also benefit from the well-honed political machine of newly reelected Republican Gov. Scott Walker.

In Illinois, Republican Sen. Mark Kirk has worked hard to bolster his bipartisan credentials, backing immigration reform, gun control and environmental protections. His hard-fought battle to return from a debilitating stroke could also earn him sympathy from voters.
In Ohio, Republican Rob Portman is a fundraising powerhouse, has done little to stir controversy while in the Senate, and analysts on both sides acknowledge him as a strong candidate.

In New Hampshire, Democrats hoping to unseat Republican Kelly Ayotte think they have a strong candidate in popular Gov. Maggie Hassan; but Hassan may instead seek another term as governor. Even with Hassan in the race, Ayotte would have an even shot at winning, given the state’s narrow Democratic lean in presidential years.

Florida has trended Democratic in recent presidential cycles, but only by slight margins, so the race to fill a seat vacated by Marco Rubio would also be a potentially close one.

The extra dimension to all this is the extent to which Clinton's coat-tails can influence these tight races. But she is a polarizing candidate, looking to succeed a polarizing president, in a polarized electorate, in an era of divided government, where there hasn't been anything approaching an electoral college or popular vote landslide in a quarter of a century.

Whenever Clinton has run for office in the past (New York Senate and for the Democratic nomination) her national approval ratings have been sharply divided, a dynamic that threatens to trim Clinton’s impact down-ticket. Furthermore, many of the key Senate races are in states with traditionally high rates of vote-splitting: New Hampshire clocks in at 43.8 percent, Pennsylvania at 41.2 percent and at Nevada 36.8 percent. Therefore, it is likely that the “coat-tails effect” may give a boost to Democratic candidates in some races, but whether it turns out to be decisive is by no means a given.

Democratic presidential nominees are more often than not change candidates. Typically they represent the ascendancy of a new generation. The forty-three-year-old Kennedy offered youthful vigor, and proclaimed that “the torch has been passed to a new generation.” Jimmy Carter made a virtue of being an outsider. Bill Clinton offered a generational shift as the first baby-boomer in the White House. A similarly youthful Obama offered “Hope and Change” as well as a shift towards diversity.

Clinton of course offers a transformative candidacy as the first female president, but beneath this profound change element she is, in almost every other respect, the antithesis of the traditional Democratic presidential profile: She will be the oldest ever Democratic nominee, she has been a fixture on the national political scene for decades and she is a polarizing establishment figure.

Overall, therefore, the Republicans have a reasonable chance of holding on to their majorities in Congress—resulting in a unique election where Hillary Clinton makes history as the first Democratic President to win office with the Republicans controlling both Houses. Unless Democrats manage a blow-out, Clinton may address a largely hostile audience, including Republican majority leaders in the House and Senate, at her first state of the union address—the first time a newly-elected Democratic president has ever done so.

Another "presidentiable" or a future "also-ran" ?

CNN

Mike Huckabee running for another White House bid

(CNN)Mike Huckabee launched his second presidential bid here Tuesday, casting himself as a guy with small town roots who can relate to the economic and security concerns of average American families.

"So it seems perfectly fitting that it would be here that I announce that I am a candidate for president of the United States of America," Huckabee told a roaring crowd Tuesday in Hope, Arkansas.

Huckabee's pitch didn't come from his multimillion-dollar beachfront home or the anchor desk where he spent years as a Fox News host. Instead, he billed himself as the hometown boy from Hope.
(...SNIPPED)

The fear is coming to fruition unfortunately.

So far the candidates that have announced / will announce within the next few days are going to pull the GOP primaries so far to the right you can see Sarah Palin's neighbors across the water.

What would really make this next 18 months interesting is if true center of the spectrum independent candidate ran right down the middle. With Warren and Sanders pulling Queen Hill to the left, and the GOP clown show doing its typical run to the right, voters pissed off with both parties could well take that option and run with it in the general.

Back