• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Uniform in Public (merged)

In response to Combat Medics earlier question to bigfoot.  Yes it is still required that the RMC and Westpoint Cadets wear full dress uniform.  So for RMC that is the scarlets complete with gloves and pillbox and the Westpoint cadets still wear their full dress greys.  The whole thing with face painting went out a couple years ago when I was there.  The Commandant and DSM felt that it did not reflect well for members of the military to be wearing a uniform and running around with face paints on......it was also a tradition that a number of RMC/Westpoint Cadets would exchange uniforms for the better part of the game, that too was stopped.

Thanks Armageddon, I haven't been around long enough to know these things.

Just a Sig Op said:
Not to add anything productive, more to confess...

I wear my old green combat pants regularly... they're the most comfortable pair of pants I own, and they are, or at least were, somewhat stylish (American Eagle was selling a knock-off copy of them last season).

Of course, I have no plan to ever turn them in... so...

I very vividly remeber AE doing a knockoff of those. No originality to them at all. I like the ACTUAL pants.

If the public doesn't like my uniform (which is properly sorted), they can take it up with my chain of command. I'm not going to wear it if I don't need to, but I am also not going to inconvenience myself by not wearing it in a given situation. If my chain of command turns out not to have liked me wearing my uniform in that situation, that is fine. They can charge me or give me a warning as they please, and I won't do it again. I will not, though under any circumstances apologies for wearing my country's uniform.

airforcepatches said:
I very vividly remeber AE doing a knockoff of those. No originality to them at all. I like the ACTUAL pants.

I've got a tan pair of shorts from the line... never bought the pants themselves...

Very comfortable shorts...

Of course, they are NOT like the original pants... the original pants were all but indestructible ;)

This afternoon, whilst on my way through the baggage hall of my terminal, where I work as a border cop, my eye caught something amiss.  Errr... or was it?

There, in my baggage hall, was a fellow wearing Cadpat, collecting his luggage, after arriving from a flight.  His head looked sort of bare.  It didn't click until I saw him later, as he was exiting, that, yes, he had no headdress at all!

Did I miss something?  I was pretty certain that headdress was to be worn at all times in public areas.  Every other time I've seen CF members come through the airport in uniform, they've had their lids on.

I was going to jack him up, but then I realized that when I'm wearing blue, it's not really my place, and in any event I was busy with other duties at the time.

Unless he just got off the tarmac, his lid should have been covering his brain housing group.

Regards

Cheers, that's what I thought.

On the subject of being out of uniform, I've seen some PRes troops in Toronto here out at the odd bar (and I mean it really was an odd bar, as in very Goth/Punk/Retro/Skater/Rock, my kinda bar) in their Cadpat, drinking up a storm and completely abusing the uniform.  I once saw a Cpl with his Cadpat shirt unbuttoned completely no t-shirt underneath, dancing around like an idiot, while his buddies (including a MCpl) watched indifferently.  I can only presume they thought this bar

I was on PLQ at the time, at the bar on my own time in civvies, and took note of the unit, but elected not to say anything in the event that the troopies were feeling their liquid courage a little too much.  No use arguing with drunks, especially when you are outnumbered!

We had a similar incident at my unit, it was a pub not a bar and they we still dressed, but they none the less where not behaving in an appropriate manner for being in uniform and a MCpl from the Comms unit in town here saw this going on and put in a complaint now with the exception of Remembrance Day and I believe St. Barbs no one is authorized to wear there uniforms to the bars.

I have seen quite alot of it on the public transit lately.  I assumed that it was a new SOP, considering the amount of times I have seen it.

The first time I saw it I was unable to cross the crowd and approach the mope, after that I have seen it umpteen times so I just walk away and crank up the ipod.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
I have seen quite alot of it on the public transit lately.  I assumed that it was a new SOP, considering the amount of times I have seen it.

As best I remember it (And no, I won't claim total responsibility, as I freely admit I'm regularly wrong, I will look it it up if asked) the lack of headress of public transit *is* authorised...

That being said, *I* personally, not knowing any better (Again, willing to look it up if asked) would only assume that headdress should be worn in public places, such as an airport... perhaps common sense and discretion should apply? I once had an officer point out to me that personal pride had not so much what to do with what you did when somone was watching but more to do with what you did when no one was watching (The actual comment was over socks with a DEU uniform and wasn't directed directly at me but the point stands). I'd think that it might be reasonable to remove one's beret while sitting and waiting near the terminal for ones flight or once on the air-craft, and advisable even to remove it if in a returant while enjoying a meal, but at all other times reasonable and advisable to wear it.

Just a Sig Op said:
As best I remember it (And no, I won't claim total responsibility, as I freely admit I'm regularly wrong, I will look it it up if asked) the lack of headress of public transit *is* authorised...

Not that Ottawa is any good indication of what is proper, but my recollection seems to tell me that most officers on buses in the NCR don't wear headdress.

BUT, on the metro here in Montreal, normally I see pers wearing it...

I have never seen anything saying that you may remove headdress on public transit.  I have never removed mine on public transit (not that I take it often) and I would say something if I saw someone else without theirs on.  There is no reason it should be removed.  If your hat is so uncomfortable you can't take the bus with it on, I would suggest you visit stores and get one that fits.

beach_bum said:
I have never seen anything saying that you may remove headdress on public transit.  I have never removed mine on public transit (not that I take it often) and I would say something if I saw someone else without theirs on.  There is no reason it should be removed.  If your hat is so uncomfortable you can't take the bus with it on, I would suggest you visit stores and get one that fits.

Or wear a tuque. No city has more CF members riding Public Transit than Ottawa and probably non more than the no. 8 bus as it runs from NDMC to NDHQ. Sometimes I have seen CF personnel riding without their headdress but I just assume they are coming from MIR and it is medically related. Sorry, I'm not about to ask a lt.-colonel for his chit... especially when he has a MWO with him.

I'd be interested if someone would look this up. I've heard so many different opinions on whether or not you should wear your lid in your vehicle, on a bus, etc that I'd like the real goods on it.

Also: my mates and I were going to go for a quick pint at the Fleet club the other day after class. It wasn't open so we thought "what the heck, how about that bar up the street?" then the voice of some MS/MCpl rang in our ears and we wondered if we could actually go for a beer whilst in uniform. We decided we probably shouldn't, even if it isn't an offense, it just didn't seem right to do. We ended up foregoing the beer and having a timmie's instead. But I'd like to know..can you go for a beer after work/class in uniform?

It is very simple - in public, wear your lid - unless you happen to be in a Church of course.

career_radio-checker said:
Sorry, I'm not about to ask a lt.-colonel for his chit... especially when he has a MWO with him.

Oh come on, wheres your sense of adventure??    ;D

Heck, I pointed out to the base commander in line at Timmie's that he had a huge thread hanging from his beret.  I thought of not saying anything but realized the way the forces are represented is everyone's responsibility.  What could he do, jack me up for pointing out a fault?  I'd like to see that charge!

Back