• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What makes a good 9mm?

• Thread starter Thread starter Diemaco
  • Start date Start date
Para‘s are like a 2X4 in your hand, huge grips. One thing i find why americans cant shoot the beretta 92/96, is because of the huge grip and its bulky. why thinner is better, can hold it tighter and its easier to control also lighter.

Glocks are not $$$, many companys offer glocks discounts to military and le, and they are pritty cheap in the gun world 300$ off.

+P or +P+ is thicker wall case so you can put more powder with out damaging the case or the gun. So yes faster veliocy. Something regular cases wont do without spliting. but the heaviest bullet for ive seen used for 9mm is 147gr and lightest is 90gr,

Robert - Sorry, you‘re correct. I was tired when I wrote that and I was going off the top of my head. Couldn‘t be bothered to verify before I wrote. I had some ammunition in mind at the time - I was indirectly confusing the .45 185 gr with 9mm 147 gr. As for the Glock, I was thinking as a consumer purchasing locally. Wasn‘t thinking bulk sale. To me, anything approaching 1k is $. As for those big grips, I have big hands, I have to bear in mind the requirements of others. And I honestly love a good .45. I love the kick and the feel, I just don‘t have much love for the 9mm. I‘ll happily take a .40 S&W before that.

Diemaco - "but would a p228 hurt more than a glock?"

I had that in the back of my mind when I wrote a response to you. It wasn‘t my intention to humiliate or embarrass you. If you feel that way, I hope you get over it, but a statement like that irks me for what I feel are obvious reasons. What I wrote for you was simply a question and some advice; good sources of information to queries such as the ones you asked. You do not need to read it nor do you need to listen. Your choice.

BTW, I am neither a moderator, nor am I a "Mr." just a nickname from diving. No need for the attitude eh.

Robert KM said:
Para's are like a 2X4 in your hand, huge grips. One thing i find why americans cant shoot the beretta 92/96, is because of the huge grip and its bulky. why thinner is better, can hold it tighter and its easier to control also lighter.

Glocks are not $$$, many companys offer glocks discounts to military and le, and they are pritty cheap in the gun world 300$ off.

+P or +P+ is thicker wall case so you can put more powder with out damaging the case or the gun. So yes faster veliocy. Something regular cases wont do without spliting. but the heaviest bullet for ive seen used for 9mm is 147gr and lightest is 90gr,

I still have several boxes left from a 5 case lot of IMI 9mm black-tip carbine ammo, which is a 160gr +P FMJ.  These are pretty hot but my Glocks eat it just fine, thank you very much.

Blake

what makes a good 9mm..... the man shooting it.

But that aside, handguns are like women, oh man am I gonna catch crap for that one.... everyone has different likes and dislikes, some fit better then others.

I own own a couple of BHP's, simple, relieable, idot proof.
But I also own a Walther P99 and that one is a close second FOR ME.
Find one you like, or if you have to us an issue one, then by all means don't bitch about it, learn to shoot it the best you can and then keep trying harder.

Everyone will say this or that is better, but the important factor is the person behind it pulling the trigger.  The second factor is that each and everytime you pull the trigger it ges POP......  not every pistol out there will do that.

As long as it ain't a peice of S saturday night special, any major brand of handgun will do the trick, if your doing yours.

Pappy, you own a Walther P99, an interesting choice, how do you like it? I have some concern with the staged trigger. I'd want to spend a lot of time on the range before I felt confident with that in a stressful situation. I don't know about that decocker in the slide either.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

For the record, I have gone over to the 9mm camp. I eschewed my beloved Colt .45 for a Norinco NP-34 (Sig P228 clone) in 9mm. I have to admit, I love it. In Canada, I have a problem with wasted magazine space, so the 3rds lost to the 10rd mag doesn't keep me up at night. Although the Norinco's are a more affordable option than their counterparts, a pistol such as the NP-34 is the only option for a P228 if you do not possess a prohibited PAL. I would like to acquire a Sig P229 in the future, but as I lack the prohibited rating (kicking myself for not purchasing a >4" pistol back in the day) this is the closest I could legally come.

Back