• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What not to do - No excuse BMQ tips [Merged]

Now, i havent been through BMQ or SQ, (just in the process of joining), but it is kind of apparent to me that 1) you cant win, you will never get it right, and 2) cheating will get you in more hot water than if you had a little shaving cream on the edge of the can.

Is it fair to draw the concusion that one should be efficient, and not spend time wetting the 'clean' second bar of soap, or hiding the items that you are using in places that they shouldnt be? thoughts comments?

Now it may have been 7 yrs ago and many a beer may have erased some of the memories of my Basic and Battle School (for you new young people that what we used to call BMQ and then SQ and BIQ  ;) )  But I did indeed have 2 of everything in Basic, it was easier to use disposable razors (never used them just took a new one out of the bulk package) and used my Sensor razor. It was just a time saver to have soap and shaving cream etc etc in the ocker set up perfect for inspection and use my other kit in civi lock up to keep myself clean.

In fact that was one of the tips expressed by our instructors for my course, now Battle School was different but then again everything changes getting off the bus from St Jean in Meaford....that little experience made people quit right there.  >:D

hey Baudseed,
Once the ball starts rolling on your application and you find yourself at basic training, you can rely on two very simple pieces of advice,

1) Do what you are told, (especially when no one is looking)
2) The universal law of reciprocation- (watch your buddy's back, and he'll watch yours). 

Teamwork is the key.  99% of what will be required of you in basic will be explained clearly at that time.  For now, as you wait....

go for a run.

I found that once your done BMQ it really isn't that hard, it'll seem hard when your their but any person should be able to get through it. Just remember once you get into the swing of things within a few weeks it'll pass by. When I look back it, the best times I had in the military was while I was a recruit at St Jean.

By the way, once your in St Jean, always double check what you need to bring down for the next day, even in the morning. As well if you need help, then don't be shy and ask a fellow recruit before and not after it lands you in trouble.

As well another tip of advice, never ever get a big mouth during basic. All it ever does is annoy the hell out of the people on your course, if you say you slept with 30 girls in one weekend, were a sniper/ninja before joining the military, etc. Pretty well everybody will know its BS and it'll only hurt yourself in the end.

atticus said:
quick note, im on BMQ right now. Don't bring two pairs of shoes, you don't have the room.

Well, aside from the numerous posters here who have suggested bringing two pairs, my BMQ instrcuctions specifically say to bring 2 pairs (1 "indoor", 1 "outdoor").

So, my question is, how much running will be done indoors (I start BMQ in two weeks, so it will be through the dead of winter)?

I already spent $250 on one pair of shoes (my main "outdoor" runners) and I was hoping I could spend substantially less on my others if they weren't going to be used for running so much as just general indoor PT.

Thanks in advance.

I believe they issue you a pair of shoes their that can be used as general PT shoes. I'm not sure how it works in winter, but when I went through we usually had to do three runs a week in the morning, and I think you will probably be doing some circuit training along with it. As for the list they give you, I don't think I had to even use half that stuff, I mean I bought alot of the stuff but they usually issue you with everything you need once your there.

PS: In the end it really doesn't matter if you have three pairs of shoes since your going to have to constantly clean the soles of your shoes for inspection. t

Well from what I gathered, a second pair of shoes is a very good idea (read it on a thread somewhere here).  Not runners though as they won't give the support for certain activities.  I'm going to get a sub-$100 pair of cross trainers.

Apparently the shoes they issue are horendous (I saw them reffered to as "CF Cripplers" on here.

Yeah there nasty bata shoes. I used them for my inspection shoes when I went through, all the way until I graduated BIQ. Just remember to have doubles of inspection stuff and it'll be easy (like the folded socks and t shirts too!).

OMG, if you were told to bring two pair.  bring two pair.
bless you all.  have one pair for running and one pair for inspections. (that way it doesn't matter what they issue you, you're good to go!)

Oe pair of running shoes will be more than enuff for the two (MAX 3) runs that you will go on per week.  The distance will be no more than 5k.  I came out of St.Jean at christmas 2005, and moved on to SQ as of Jan 06.  I used the same (only one pair) running shoes for both courses (and SQ after that).  I was issued a pair of running shoes in St. Jean (in addition to the ones I brought with me) and never once put them on my feet.  I used them as shoes for inspections (which will likely be occuring less than an hour after your run and will be required to be free of all and I mean ALL dirt and stones out of the treds).

but remember, as Paracowboy has said before.  I too was on a course with many 18 years olds who have never even heard of army.ca and didn't know enuff to ask the question of how many shoes they should bring.....and they showed up with ....whatever...  and they still passed the course with little difficulty and did just fine. 

now, do 25 push ups and then go for a 2.5k run in under 11minutes.

you'll do great.  :)

I did bmq with one pair of $30 runners, and they worked fine, I still wear them to. ;D The pt shoes they issue you at bmq are garbage, mine actualy hurt my feet within minutes of wearing them. I suppose you could spend $300 on pair of runners, I wouldn't. Just make sure your shoes are comfortable. Also bring alot of white gym socks (yes they can get stolen, everything gets stolen at basic). You'll only be allowed to have 3 or 4 pairs in your locker but you can stash the rest in civie lockup. You'll need them for pt and you'll want to wear them under your wool socks as they get itchy especialy when they're new. Foot powder is also essential, they'll issue that to you but if you want the fancy stuff go for it. If you have chafing problems bring some tight running shorts, you can wear them under your pt shorts. Even if you don't have chafing problems you'll probably get them, you're on your feet alot,  the field, 13k march, and drill causes really bad chafing especialy in the summer, that and you'll never get enough time to shower after pt.

I dont understand how it seems to be sooo difficult for guys to keep their personal hygene stuff "clean".
So why would you need to bring 2 sets of bathroom stuff, cant you just be a normal human being and not be messy with it?....lol, I dont think Im going to have any problems with this ;D I hope anyways

Shelby67 said:
I dont understand how it seems to be sooo difficult for guys to keep their personal hygene stuff "clean".
So why would you need to bring 2 sets of bathroom stuff, cant you just be a normal human being and not be messy with it?....lol, I dont think Im going to have any problems with this ;D I hope anyways

Perhaps you haven't read enough to understand the whole concept behind the two sets of bathroom 'stuff'.  I would suggest that perhaps you go back and read some more in order to understand.

Shelby67 said:

There is a HUGE difference between clean, and inspection clean. You may be clean, but I guarantee you, If I'm looking to find something when I inspect you, I will  ;)

well, Ive been talking to a lot of my friends that are doing and have done their BMQ, and they say its just time saving to do so, but its not really necisary.

But dont you get in big kaa kaa if you get caught with 2 sets of everything?...thats what I've been told.

Give your instructors some credit. They're not simpletons. They'll know all the ways to cheat on inspection and will know if you're TRYING to outwit them. They'll know if you have 2 sets of things for inspection or if some numpty is skipping his showers and just wetting down their towel [very disguisting]. It's just up to them and how bad of a mood you put them in if they'll bust you on it.

That being said I'd still go with the 2 sets of everything for inspection.  ;D

oh yeah,
trying to keep that nozzle on the shaving cream from getting foamy was impossible.  I used a cheat from this here thread, I went with the shaving cream tub with the brush.  nice and clean, never used it,

so nice....

I find that shaving cream give me BAD razor burn yet the shaving soap doesn't. I have no ideas as to how this happens. But alas my real question is this (And it may sound retarded). Why is it that women have to have a shaving kit. Is it to make sure everyone is on the same level?

Back