• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What not to do - No excuse BMQ tips [Merged]

The_Pipes said:
They'll know if you have 2 sets of things for inspection or if some numpty is skipping his showers and just wetting down their towel [very disguisting].

Now doesn't that remind you of basic ;D  We had  someone in our platoon, who will remain nameless, that carried a rather overwhelming odour. To put it in simple terms he stank like a monkey's butt. You wouldn't think of people to skip showers, especialy when they are separate stalls, but it does happen, some people are just pigs.

SoF said:
Now doesn't that remind you of basic ;D  We had  someone in our platoon, who will remain nameless, that carried a rather overwhelming odour. To put it in simple terms he stank like a monkey's butt. You wouldn't think of people to skip showers, especialy when they are separate stalls, but it does happen, some people are just pigs.

Sig ops excluded.

You might get away with an 'Italian Shower' (wet towel with sprinkle of Axe deoderant) once in a rushed morning. But for the love of everything holly and our noses, make sure you take a shower at the end of the day.

shower when told to shower. Don't skip out. I shower after every PT class and every night. Although you usually sweat bullets putting your uniform back on because you only had 7min to shower & reform outside of the change rooms.

BMQ tip, just undo the top 2 buttons of your combat shirt and pull it off over your head. It saves major time.

GreenHand said:
BMQ tip, just undo the top 2 buttons of your combat shirt and pull it off over your head. It saves major time.

Even easier, untie the waist tie up and pull up and over your head. No real need to undo any buttons.
Another thing, keep your boot bands on your combats so all you have to do is throw your boots on and tie them up, without having to reblouse your pants. And have at least one extra set of bot bands around at all times. If you are in the blue sector, use suspenders to keep your bed condom tight for a good looking bed. 

My best tip to all getting ready to go, ensure that you start a rigorous running program before going. I suck at running, and that is one thing I wish I worked harder on before leaving...along with losing my excess weight. I have lost over 40lbs since arriving in STJ.

Be prepared to do lots of stairs.

Re: About blowsing your pants and shoelaces

Ok, I used to get in a lot of trouble with my bootlaces dangling out and my blowsing coming undone until I was given two tips:

1. Boot laces. Don't tie a normal bowtie-knot it will come undone and will dangle when you least expect it. All I do is tie a simple square knot(aka granny knot) and then tuck the excess into my boots. They stay there all day and I have never had to redo my boots.
2. Blowsing. We all know that in the army there are only two sizes -- too big, and too small -- most of my combats are the later. Every time I sit they lifted out of my boots and the frayed ends liked to play peek-a-boo, especially with an RSM. Now I tuck the sandtraps into my sock, not the boot, and they have never once come undone.

There's my two cents.

Springroll said:
I have lost over 40lbs since arriving in STJ.

Congrats on losing that weight!

Hard work does pay off!

Re: Boot laces...I do Captain's bars @ the top. they never come loose and the long ends can be tucked far enough down that they never reapear

GreenHand said:
Congrats on losing that weight!

Hard work does pay off!

Re: Boot laces...I do Captain's bars @ the top. they never come loose and the long ends can be tucked far enough down that they never reapear

Thank you, but I do wish I was in better shape before I left.
It would have made PT easier in the beginning.

The Captain Bars are great if you don't have PSP....5 minutes just isn't enough time to shower and dress and do Captain's bars.

"Demonstartion position...Change!"  that one always made feel like it was....just wrong 
especially if you were in the front row :)

i see alot of people saying have 2 sets of everything. well i know when i was up in borden last summer i had an extra razor and that was it. alot of people say have an extra tube of toothpaste and everynight squeeze out a little, thats stupid, why not just squueze out that little bit onto a toothbrush and brush your teeth. than with the tooth brush just use one, it takes like 10 seconds to clean and on your way back to your room give it a few flicks to dry it up a bit. they give you two towels anyways and one of them is folded in your drawers. one thing i will say was a life saver for me was MR Clean erasers. on the morning of an inspection they work magic. it takes a job that would usually be about 40 minutes with the crap they give you and makes it like 5 minutes. also before you go to bed and your changing takes off your cadpat one thing at a time and place it on a hangar and put it on the hooks on your door in the ordert you take it off because if you reverse that order ir is usually the order you put it on and that saves alot of time in the morning. Also the tiles on the floor are 12x12. the same length and width that your spare cadpat and your rain gear are suppose to be, that is also a life saver.

Kit marking is one of the most time consuming and annoying things you can do. I had like 4 things done after the first week and i was sure i was screwed but you do get your sundays off. i took the list out of my room and sat in the hallway and all day i crosses off one thing, than the next thing, than the next thing, and by the time dinner came around i was pretty much done it all.

No matter how hard you work in the first 2-3 weeks all your stuff is going to be insatisfactory to your instructors. work about 85% of the time but make sure in those first weeks you have 15% of time to go to the next room and have a laugh with those guys, have a good time well your up there because in the end thats what it is. one of my instructors told me something well i was up there and i will never forget it, he said "BMQ will be the worst best time of your life" and now that i look back on it i know he was right, i had a blast well i was up there and there is no reason why all of you cant either.

hi guys, most of u probably dont know me bec i am an old member and hadnt posted here in a long time. I got a letter from the army saying they had been trying to contact me, i think my security clearance has been completed, its been 3 yrs its about time i guess. anyway i  am hoping to join reserves not regular force. Is the level of toughness or training the same for reserves? bec i heard in the reserves i can only train on weekends since i go full time to school.

I go to BMQ or basic soldier qualifications, whichever, in about 5 months from now, as long as my medical and stuff goes well. I've been reading up a lot on this, mainly to get an understanding of whats coming. Most of it is common sense, such as have a sense of humor, don't be stupid, listen and do what you are told, don't talk back, etc... I think I will breeze through the disciplinary aspect of this, and perhaps the inspections also. Some major things I got out of this was

bring an extra pair of runners for rainy days, make sure they aren't cheap
bring some swiffer dusters
work as a team
have fun
and don't ever quit.

I don't want to overdo anything by bringing extra sets, doing "tricks" or "cheats" etc.. I just want to listen, do things right, and get through it as easily and efficiently as possible - AND HAVE A BLAST!

I am looking forward to this more than anything. The best piece of advice I think was whoever said to do what you're told, have fun, and while your waiting... go for a run.

This put a smile of re-assurance on my face and made me look forward to it even more. The only thing im worried about is my height, as i'm 5'3.

does anyone have anymore really key tips for me that I might be missing or turning a blind eye too? anything I should be doing in particular right now, that i will thank myself for later?

Thanks,

Adrian.

AdrianMatte said:
does anyone have anymore really key tips for me that I might be missing or turning a blind eye too? anything I should be doing in particular right now, that i will thank myself for later?

buy a big tub of GoldBond -- and no, not the stuff for your feet  ;)

I didn't bother with bringing two of everything. In fact, a lot of the crap on the list they told me to bring, I didn't bring and my life was fine... clutter free, too. The only thing i wanted to bring was my ipod for those nights before inspections that were long and dreary... but on another note, some staff do check and take away all electronics-- cells, ipods, everything. The only thing they took from me was my leatherman which I always carried in my purse. :( I miss my trusty utility knife.

Your first week, bring a freakin' water bottle. You don't have a canteen and the mega is dry. You'll be climbing up lots of stairs, sweating like a pig and inevitably, you will dehydrate and that's bad. Keep an unobtrusive, little water bottle for yourself to keep filling up and drinking on your breaks until you get your canteen (Preferably something that would be painless to lose or toss out when you no longer need it).

Don't bother with hangers, locks, boot polish, boot brushes, boot bands, kiwi cloth, parade gloss, starch, etc. You get a visit to the canex and you will be standing around for hours as they push you through to haircuts, and pay office. If you say you don't need anything, you'll just stand in ranks for another few hours are all the rest of your platoon mates get to go in. You'll grow roots by the time they are done. So instead of cluttering up your kit bag (Which you have to drag up possibly 10, 11, 12 flights of stairs when you get to st jean), buy it at canex with the 200.00 pay advance you get.

Once in a while (2 a week) you may have pt at 0500 (Which you don't get out of until 0600) and then inspection at 0700... between 6-7 you have to shower, change, eat, make your bed and clean up whatever crap you used. My suggestion, and yes I know Italian showers are disgusting and they should be used sparingly, use baby wipes. Not only does it save you time in showering but it also saves you time in cleaning the shower, too. We shared the 10th floor with girls from other platoons in advanced weeks, so they would be really anal about when you could shower and when you could not. We couldn't shower in the morning on inspection days and we couldn't use the sinks or toilets after 0630. Baby wipes are a person's best friend. Keep them on you in Farnham because they will freeze in the winter time.

When we had pool pt, afterwards we wouldn't bother with showers. The first girl would run through, hitting all the showers on the way out and that'd be your shower. If you know you have pool pt, wear your bathing suit under combats if you can get away with it. 

Another important tip;;;;;; CHECK THE EFFING SCHEDULE! Check it for what you need the next day. For the first few weeks they might provide you with a list of what you need in o group, but get in the habit of checking it yourself just to know what you need.

You get Sissy bags to carry a certain amount of crap in. Get a small bag (A cloth pencil case) and carry stuff in it like pens, a pair of nail clippers for threads on your uniform, Tylenol (But get it from the mir, which comes free and without prescription), and lip balm. (Or girlie stuff if you are a girl because it's awfully embarrassing when you have to ask your sergeant if you can go upstairs to get tampons... trust me, I know.) It might seem like clutter, but you will find that they are things you wish you had. And you know the condom rule; better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Girls, if you aren't too attached to your hair, get rid of it. Trust me, it's just another 10 minutes wasted in the morning when you have six million other things you have to be doing. I don't regret it at all.

If you get hurt, if it's a blister on the bottom of your foot, a hang nail, a cough, or a rash -- it doesn't matter-- get it checked out. A small ache in your foot could blossom into a stress fracture or torn ligament and a blister or hangnail can turn infected. I landed on PAT for ignoring a sprain which got progressively worse. Take care of yourself.

Carry hand sanitizer. They have little stations for hand sanitizer everywhere now... but you'd be surprised the sickness that can spread like wildfire in your platoon and eventually the whole school.

Stay away from the vending machines, but if you must... choose an energy bar. Stay away from caffeinated drinks like 'Red Bull' or 'Rockstar'. You'll just crash big time 15 minutes after the caffeine kicks in. It also dehydrates you which will make you sleepier.

On that note, keep your canteen full. Some staff are very particular about this and will check constantly, but when you start nodding off, you can drink it and it'll keep you from dozing.

In class, if you still can't keep your eyes open after chugging your entire canteen, ask to stand up. Most instructors have no problem with it, what they do have a problem with is you nodding off.

As for contending with the staff; shut up, listen to what they have to say, always admit you are wrong and never ever argue. Don't offer excuses and don't lie. When they ask you if you ironed your cf shirts and you say you have when you didn't... they know you are lying.

" Girls, if you aren't too attached to your hair, get rid of it. Trust me, it's just another 10 minutes wasted in the morning when you have six million other things you have to be doing. I don't regret it at all. "

Had a laugh when I saw this , as Im sure it is easier and all.. 

I had long hair during basic , and its actually just as easy or easier. WELL maybe not easier then no hair at all but it aint too hard to deal with. Just slick it back , hairspray and a few bobby pins. My hair atleast was easy. If you have so so hair , like in the middle.. just chop it off or put up with being ragged on every morning. Male staff are a bit weird on that however.. they dont now how to necessarily deal with ' Girl stuff ' haha , it is funny though seeing an old combat arms instructor trying to explain why your hairs all f*cked up! Lol.

So , if you can refrain from the ' Hey look , Im GI Jane ' bit , do so , or you'll be teased non stop. Yah , its like pre school all over again haha.

Im sure its not a big deal to most of you , but keeping a sense of your femininity through out your career is a good thing. We are still woman after all  :)

charlieecho513

I find it a tad odd that you have experienced so many of these female experiences given that your profile says male. 

Damnit! I thought I had it all down with the "no excuses" line, I thought that was the perfect reply.

Whats the best reply for when you mess up? I mean when an instructor asks you "Why aren't your tac vest threads burned off?" I used to like the line "no excuses" but it seems that may not be a good idea anymore. Saying "I don't know" is horrible. Ofcourse the best thing is simply not messing up! But thats in a perfect world...

osjesso said:
Advice passed down to me :
Become the greyman

I did this a little too well on my BMQ.  :)  For our final weekly evaluation, I entered the room, gave my section commander his due respect and sat down.  He leaned over the table, and with a half smile says to me "You behind-the-scenes grey mother------."  That was followed by much encouragement.

So be the greyman, but do at least try to excel at something!

Army-Goon said:
Damnit! I thought I had it all down with the "no excuses" line, I thought that was the perfect reply.

Whats the best reply for when you mess up? I mean when an instructor asks you "Why aren't your tac vest threads burned off?" I used to like the line "no excuses" but it seems that may not be a good idea anymore. Saying "I don't know" is horrible. Ofcourse the best thing is simply not messing up! But thats in a perfect world...

Simple: "I screwed up. It will never happen again <Insert rank here>"

Back