• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What not to do - No excuse BMQ tips [Merged]

im not worried about them touching me. or swearing ive just heard of 2 sides of the military training im just trying to find out whats true and what i should ectspect when i go. i know there trying to build charactor and everything.

No, they can't touch you but they definately can and will swear.  It's the military for chrissakes not the girl guides...it would be pretty sad if they weren't allowed to swear.

I may be mistaken, but I think staff are not supposed to demean a person with insults. For example, an  inccorect dressing down would be, "Recruit Bloggins you are an F'ing idiot." The correct way of saying this would be,"Recruit Bloggins what you did was F'ing idiotic."  See, much nicer. ;)

Oh they will swear. Just don't take it personally. Take the little bit of advise that is somewhere in all the cursing and use that. I am just about to start week 8 and have yet to have a full "jacking" but have witnessed many. I have seen people take it the right way and the wrong. Just take what you can from it and move on

The only tips that should be given out:

1- Do what you are told to do when told
2- Team Work
3- Do not try to be smatter then your instructor...you will get caught.
4- Pay attention during lectures

No more, no less.

and take some unscented baby wipes into the field, they come in real handy, oh and maybe a roll of 2 ply arse wipe (fits into the snivel kit catagory)

Preparing physically before BMQ is really the best advice that can be given. It will lower your chances of ending up medically RTU'ed or on PAT, nothing sucks more than seeing a motivated person get RTU'ed because of a lack of physical preparation. You should ideally be able to exceed by a confortable margin the minimum requirements before the start of BMQ.

What they want to see are motivated people. Try your damnest best in everything.

Just my 2 cents.

Do NOT rely on other people to get your sh*t together, do it yourself, nothing pisses people off  (especially me) more than someone who is unwilling to help their buddies or needs to be babied through the entire course. If you are one of those people, do the army a favour and quit.

hey there,
I am a 20 yr old woman joining the CF, my basic training might be in october. so i have a few questions for those who already passed basic...or any women out there who did also. how different is the treatment for women? do they make us do less pushups? are they easyer on us? are there alot of women joining in? any info available would help...im not trying to know all the niks about basic before actually experiencing it. but im reading all the forums written by men and i dont think it actually represents the women's experience given that, there are many differences between genders and we cant help it!
so thanks
marie

It really shouldn't matter whether the responses are from men or women as men are also qualified to say:

1) You will be treated the same as all the other candidiates, regardless of sex;

2) For PT purposes, however many pushups you end up doing will be up to your staff etc. PT is done by course, sex is irrelevant; For your fitness test, you will be required to do less pushups than a man the same age as you is required to do to pass. Is this proper?? Well, it's the way it is. That being said, be a real woman ... keep doing them 'til you're the last damn man/woman doing them, or until you CAN NOT do any more. That's what a soldier would do, regardless of sex;

3) Are they easier on us?? No, nor should they be, nor should you want them to be. Some of your instructors will be women. Give me a break. Do you want them to be easier on you because you are a woman? If so, the CFs probably not the best career option for you. If not, you will be treated as per response #1. If your instructors are easier on you for ANY reason, something is wrong. It's BMQ for crying out loud;

4) There are plenty of us women in the CF; you will, by no means, be alone;

5) The vast majority of us women out there fully realize that we are different, but we also understand that we are soldiers first, tradesmen second, and women last; anything else is unacceptable. This is as it should be. This is a very important point. Your sex has ZERO bearing upon your personal performance. Any success' or failures will NOT be determined on the basis of your sex. Success' and failures are directly caused by the individual's performance, not sex. It is in the attitude and your personal drive, regardless of sex;

6) Do a search ... these answers are out there already, with input from women; and

7) Good luck.

Welcome to Milnet.ca
Veronica

marie1987 said:
hey there,
I am a 20 yr old woman joining the CF, my basic training might be in october. so i have a few questions for those who already passed basic...or any women out there who did also. how different is the treatment for women? do they make us do less pushups? are they easyer on us? are there alot of women joining in? any info available would help...im not trying to know all the niks about basic before actually experiencing it. but im reading all the forums written by men and i dont think it actually represents the women's experience given that, there are many differences between genders and we cant help it!
so thanks
marie

Men and women are also both expected to be able to spell, punctuate, and capitalize properly too!

wow! What do you think this is? I didn't know i was being evaluated on my spelling here! Don't be so uptight!

marie1987 said:
wow! What do you think this is? I didn't know i was being evaluated on my spelling here! Don't be so uptight!

Whoooaaaa!!

If you didn't know that means only that you didn't read the site notification that you received upon enabling your membership. Not quite the "good" admission to be making.

Professionalism and attention to detail; more critical requirements for those joining the CF, regardless of sex.

Vern

Well i guess i didn't read the notification and i guess my english isn't as good as my french. To conform with the site i will pay attention to my spelling.

marie1987 said:

The others have pointed out the reasons for this, I won't elaborate.

Let me add, however; if you can't take a little light, constructive criticism, you're in for a wonderful time in the CF.

I originally thought that perhaps there was a language barrier involved - but when I checked your profile, no language was indicated.  Had you paid attention to detail when filling out your profile, indicating that French was your mother tongue,  I wouldn't have made the criticism in quite the same way in the first place.

Roy

Marie1987      I can vouch for the spelling bit when I started BMQ  in march2007  and before my knee injury ended my career we had write our auto biographies as one of our first tasks it was done in week 0  and believe me the spelling will count and your staff will read them .   I think I had to re due mine at least 3 times don't take it personally just learn from it .

The best advice ever given to me was by a WO. He had 3 rules:
1)Don't f*** up
2)If you do f*** up, take responsibilty for your actions
3)Don't f*** up again

I dont know if this is said but we didnt have to rewrite our autobiographies, and we got to go to the canex on week zero.  although we did learn to hold the pushup position for a good amount of time.  BMQ was the most fun I have ever had in my life.  Unfortunately it was the PSP staff that finished my back off.  And in case anyone else on P.A.R  is here, when I left the wait time was 3 weeks and there were 200 of us.  There was guys that got there on Sunday and and V.R.'d on sunday.  We were told by an instructor "We are at war, this is real".  the army isnt a game, max 25 pushup's? no yelling or swearing? unfortunately thats the myth civvies are told.  If you can't handle getting yelled at and standing at ease for 6 hours straight the first week then quit now and dont waste everyones time by showing up.  And if writing an autobiography is keeping you up at night, it's time to think long and hard about the career you have chosen. 
BMQ has lots of s*itpumps

gman620 said:
And if writing an autobiography is keeping you up at night, it's time to think long and hard about the career you have chosen.

+1

Great comment.

Wallz said:
mm.. cadets aren't really that .. I duno.. Don't seem to have many members in brantford?
The only actual active cadets are aircadets..

The "flavour" of the local cadet organization doesn't matter.  What you learn there will hold you in good stead throughout your life, whether you join the CF or pursue some other career - it's a good organization.

My oldest son was an Air Cadet (he didn't join the military) - he received his Glider Pilot's license AND his powered aircraft license (I'm not sure of the "official" name for it - he's licensed to fly single engine aircraft) - AND, he got PAID (a small stipend of, IRC around $500.00 WAY back in 1999, maybe '98) to do it!!  There aren't many sweeter deals around than that.

Think seriously about Cadets - you can't go wrong, whether it's Army, Navy, or Air Force.

CONCENTRATE on school - I can't say it enough, what you are currently doing WILL affect your available choices later in life, including joining the CF.

Good like to you - keep you eyes on the prize.

Roy

Back