• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What rank do you hope to achieve in your CF career?

Your best rank always seems to be the last one you had before this promotion. But you tend to grow and expand with the latest postion (and added responsibility). That is until your next promotion. You should always strive, and never maintain the status quo.

My planwould be to CFR somewhere down the line, not because of increased pay/pension (although a bonus), but because I feel I can still contribute, all be it in different capacity .

As for the Reseve pension, latest word is now Dec 05. This is getting ridiculous because those with over 20-25 yrs in are losing pensionable time, and I am assuming that because getting details (as to buyback etc) is damn near impossible

Too bad they got rid of the rank Flight Lieutenant, sounds like a cool rank, right up there with Air Marshall.

Worn Out Grunt said:
Too bad they got rid of the rank Flight Lieutenant, sounds like a cool rank, right up there with Air Marshall.
Neither of those comes even remotely close to Wing Commander for sounding cool though.   8)

As high as I can possibly get.

Although, two stand out..

Sergeant for one, because everyone always (at least, should) look up to the Sarge. Even in the all movies, the Sarge is the one who disciplines and really leads the troops and the one the troops turn to. Ever watch Tour of Duty on History channel?

Another would be General. Come on now .... because really, who wouldn't like being a General? Five star treatment, five star influence and five star power. One of the only real ranks where you can completely fix a problem you see and make sure it gets done.

I'm looking at WO, and I know Sgt is almost a give me in my trade.  adverage is Sgt in 6 years if your slow

Im Not Telling said:
I'm looking at WO, and I know Sgt is almost a give me in my trade.  adverage is Sgt in 6 years if your slow

Interesting that you are looking at making WO, but that Sgt is "almost a given" in your trade within "6 years".

Yet, your own profile states your "experience" as "7 years Reg". What's up?? Do tell. You have me confused, and what is your trade exactly --- I'm curious as to why the "Sgt in 6 as the norm" is not widely known (nor is the MOC of this trade full of "streamers"), especially given that it takes 4 to become a Cpl in the RegF, then a minimum of 2 more until the MCpl appointment, then a minimum of 2 more until the Sgt promotion (that makes 8 minimum years in the RegF -- for any trade <--- and that is the exception, certainly NOT the rule). Of course, one can indeed receive ONE accelerated promotion in their career, but even that only knocks the time down to 7 years.

Please explain, really -- I AM confused (this is not unusual for me). What am I missing here?

I do know of one trade where I've seen this occur regularily ... Musician.

Hes a remuster Vern......

I made Sgt with less than 4 years in trade.

I think I'm as high as I want to go.  Maybe things will change, but CFL is looking pretty good.  ;D

CDN Aviator said:
Hes a remuster Vern......

I made Sgt with less than 4 years in trade.

Then that is an exception, being that he's a remuster (and I get his username).

His post gives one the impression that becoming a Sgt in 6 "career years" was the norm -- it is not. A remuster has been in for more years than that.

He's talking "6 years after remustering" ... not "6 years of service" ... and that's a whole 'nother ballgame that had to be clarified lest someone wanting to enlist took it the same way I did.

Thanks for the clarification.

zipperhead_cop said:
I think I'm as high as I want to go.  Maybe things will change, but CFL is looking pretty good.   ;D

CFL: Cadet Flight Leader?

Army Vern, CDN Aviator is Right, I remustered and finished my 5's last year and I'm just a 111 Cpl now I should have added that in to my original comment.  For us the working rank is Sgt, which makes it almost a given and at the most it should take 6 years.  I'm looking at finishing my 20 as WO and finding an nice civi job in Ottawa writing

Im Not Telling said:
Army Vern, CDN Aviator is Right, I remustered and finished my 5's last year and I'm just a 111 Cpl now I should have added that in to my original comment.  For us the working rank is Sgt, which makes it almost a given and at the most it should take 6 years.  I'm looking at finishing my 20 as WO and finding an nice civi job in Ottawa writing

I already agreed that he was right, given your particular circumstances. I asked, in my post "what am I missing?" He filled it in.

But, my point is STILL that your post reads as if it is possible (indeed normal) in a trade to obtain the rank of "Sgt" as a gimme with a mere 6 years of total TI. That is not the case. You made no mention of the fact that you were a remuster to Int OP, and thus, were referring to "6 years time AFTER remustering" (vice "in 6 years" as it reads to the non-informed of your service history).

YOU may be aware of the fact that you are a remuster, and it may be clear in your own mind what your post meant, but as demonstrated by MY confusion ---- it is NOT obvious that that is what you meant to pers who are not aware of your specific service and the fact that you are a remuster. Mods etc may pick up on what you actually meant because we tend to visit EVERY thread in the course of performing admin on the site and thus are aware that you are a remuster (except for me of course --- but I've been a little busy lately with life things). This is not the case with the vast majority of site members however who only visit threads that are in their lanes or otherwise provoke their interest.

You must remember that not all members have vast experience, in fact some are only in the enrollment process; and, most will not read your particluar posting history, nor even the threads you have previously posted in ... thus they obtain the impression that there is a RegF trade in the CF that regularly obtains their Sgts after a mere 6 years of service.

That is now clarified. If you have any doubt, go back and read your post again. Pretend it's written by someone else besides yourself and that you are wanting to join the CF ... how does it now read to you?? I've got 20 years in ... and it read the same way to me (until I went through and reviewed your posting history and gleaned from that that you were a remuster), but not everyone is going to go through your history to get that info.

NL_engineer said:
you left the CME brotherhood as one didn't you?

Nope. Was still a MCpl when i left. My last career manager interview told me i was geting promoted in july but i left the trade in April.

Corporal
no I'm not kidding.
don't like to lead, not interested in it at all.

Veteran`s son said:
Hello everyone

What rank do you hope to achieve in your CF career?

For those of you who have been in the CF for awhile, are you at the rank that you hoped you would be?

I'm already 2 ranks higher than I should be, but at the risk of being precocious, I would like to become the Logistics Branch CWO...

Back