• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Will 2021 see a new pistol buy?

Will the CAF's new pistol be a:

• the new US service pistol, the Sig Sauer P320 (M17/M18)?

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • the British version of the Glock 17?

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • a Beretta APX?

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • a Canadian designed Black Creek Labs PX17?

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • a Norinco?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • something else?

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aren't we getting ahead ourselves here?

All we got is a random pic of a Sig trainer, right? Could be SIG's gear.

FWIW, the answer could just as well be: the only holster that MD Charlton has in its inventory for P320s, and it's from Blackhawk.

Maybe? Just a Level 1 holster as I don’t see a hood etc.
Between the thigh holsters and what look like a Level one holster I am not super impressed but it’s a step above the green issued holsters for the BHP.
It does look like at least one guy is running the pistol from his belt so maybe it comes with both a belt slide and the thigh rig.
It’s a massive jump from the bhp holsters, you can pull the bhp out if it’s holster from behind without opening the flap at all.

I’m not bothered about the shroud myself, it’s secondary and I don’t feel it’s that necessary frankly.

Aren't we getting ahead ourselves here?

All we got is a random pic of a Sig trainer, right? Could be SIG's gear.

FWIW, the answer could just as well be: the only holster that MD Charlton has in its inventory for P320s, and it's from Blackhawk.
Well that’s he training being conducted at the infantry school, one would hope they’re teaching the same holster they issue as it’s really a linked system

The US Army got the Blackhawk holster originally, now most units then went out and bought Safariland holsters.

That Blackhawk holster is banned by most Federal LE down here due to issues with the retention leading to ND’s or locking pistols in the holster if it gets debris in it.

I think the 6354RDSO would be the best option for Canada, assuming you are issuing a WML, as it leaves room to put a MRDS on, but still retains the gun if it doesn’t have a MRDS.

I have a few of them, I had to color one of them black for LE patrol work years ago, but it’s a decent retention holster, and can be mounted a fair amount of different ways due to how Safariland has it made. I generally use a belt drop for both Green and Black role work. Then Tenicor for low vis AIWB carry

For ELV carry a trimmed Raven Vanguard and shoe string, as you can drop the gun down with one pull of the shoe string and kick it away in a crowd easily.

The 6354RDSO would be a good pick. I have not seen anything on a plan or intent to issue WMLs although that would be good.

I switched from thigh holsters to a belt drop about 10 years ago and am glad I did, more consistent and stable.

I have settled on using the G Code RTI interface between the belt drop and various holsters.

I run the 2.8” drop off the belt for the holster
IMG_2586.jpeg

I removed the QLS Receiver plate, and just direct mounted it, as I had a holster torn off during a raid once.
The QLS system is good if you aren’t expecting a lot of physical interactions or abuse - as if you only have one holster it can allow you to easily mount it to other things. I just prefer to have extra holsters.

My organization switched over to Safariland holsters some time ago; SLS/ALS for uniform duty belt, and an ALS only option for plain clothes. I’ve been quite happy with both, and even the SLS/ALS barely impacts draw speed as long as you’ve repped it out and built the muscle memory. I think in CAF’s context, a high level of retention is probably sound.

It’s a massive jump from the bhp holsters, you can pull the bhp out if it’s holster from behind without opening the flap at all.
That's because that holster was intended for use with a 1911, not a BHP. I used a Blackhawk SERPA during my last deployment. Even though I own a FN High Power, I sold the holster when I retired as they are forbidden in sport shooting. The biggest issue with the SERPA is that your trigger finger rests directly over the trigger guard when you defeat the retention, leading to a higher likelihood of NDs.

My organization switched over to Safariland holsters some time ago; SLS/ALS for uniform duty belt, and an ALS only option for plain clothes. I’ve been quite happy with both, and even the SLS/ALS barely impacts draw speed as long as you’ve repped it out and built the muscle memory.
We use an Safariland SLS/ALS for uniformed officers and a smaller plainclothes holster (not concealment) with a slimmed down ALS and SLS (called the Sentry by Safariland). We lack a true concealment holster right now.
I think in CAF’s context, a high level of retention is probably sound.
Agreed, as the pistol would be a secondary weapon for most (and a status symbol for some :) ). Those who may be called upon to use the C22 as a primary weapon could be provided a suitable holster.

That's because that holster was intended for use with a 1911, not a BHP. I used a Blackhawk SERPA during my last deployment. Even though I own a FN High Power, I sold the holster when I retired as they are forbidden in sport shooting. The biggest issue with the SERPA is that your trigger finger rests directly over the trigger guard when you defeat the retention, leading to a higher likelihood of NDs.
It was for the M9 not 1911
It was a massive mistake to acquire that holster and the fact they figured it fits an M9, it should fit the Inglis No2 Mk1* was just ineptitude.

Someone I know at the Infantry School clarified:

They're using the L3 Blackhawk SERPA.

Its not so much if its a Level 2 or Level 3 holster. All Blackhawk Serpa Holsters whether L2 or L3 have the auto lock trigger finger release mechanism that is the identified issue that has led to Serpa Holsters being banned by IPSC, LAPD etc. irrespective of level.
This is not a new issue either and most of the bans date from 2012 to 2017 and remain in effect.
LAPD Ban
IPSC Canada Ban

Additionally the report only states that L3 Serpa type holsters should be evaluated. In the decade since the Serpa bans started I am not aware of any organizations saying that L3 Serpas are safe, I could have missed that but I have not seen that anywhere.

With the M17 I am tracking the US military has gone to Safariland and away from the Serpas they were issuing with the M9.

Additionally the report only states that L3 Serpa type holsters should be evaluated. In the decade since the Serpa bans started I am not aware of any organizations saying that L3 Serpas are safe, I could have missed that but I have not seen that anywhere.

With the M17 I am tracking the US military has gone to Safariland and away from the Serpas they were issuing with the M9.
The L3 SERPA is just as bad as the L2 if not worse as it’s the same holster body with an idiot type of hood. So you get two garbage designs in one.

I went with the Serpa holsters, because it's the only way I could afford a proper holster for all my pistols. If I start doing IPSC again, I have to buy a new holster for my 226. So far I have not felt the need to replace them. I am not rolling in the dirt, nor drawing in high stress situations. So not seeing the issue and find that trigger finger lands in different place depending on which gun is used.

Back