• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

You know you are past your expiriy date...

Boeselager training running from the gym, through Hugsweier, up Tit Hill and then back.  Or running the hills from the Kasserne gym to Reichenbach and back.

... when you remember when Lahr was an obscure little Air Force base somewhere in the depths of South Germany, of no interest to soldiers.

1 (F) Wing, Marville, France
2 (F) Wing, Grostenquin, France
1 Air Div HQ, Metz, France
3 (F) Wing, Zweibrücken, W Germany
4 (F) Wing, Baden-Soellingen, W Germany

RCAF/CFB Summerside.

All the CFS in DEW, Pine Tree and Mid Canada Lines.

George Wallace said:
...Dirty Thursday.

Thursday is still dirty to troops who go to Afghanistan but it's called something different.

And an entirely different kind of dirty that is likely not as much fun.

-The Soviet Army was your "OPFOR" in your Op Orders on FTX.
-RCD Hill was known as 8 CH Hill (complete with T-Junction at the bottom)

Technoviking said:
-The Soviet Army was your "OPFOR" in your Op Orders on FTX.
-RCD Hill was known as 8 CH Hill (complete with T-Junction at the bottom)

And the Fort Garry Horse were stationed in Petawawa before that.

and your personal library included such classics as Canadian Army Manual of Training (CAMT) 1-8, The Infantry Brigade Group in Battle, Part 1, Tactics; CAMT 2-2, Drill, All Arms; CAMT 4-3-3, Artillery Training, Duties at RHQ and the Guns; and last, but not least, CAMT 7-45, Infantry Section Leading and Platoon Tactics. And then, there were the annual comments of the examining board that marked the Lieutenant to Captain and Captain to Major promotion exams. The board, I fear, lacked both a sense of humour and the human touch. But then, so did most of the upper echelons of the army in those days.

Old Sweat said:
and your personal library included such classics as Canadian Army Manual of Training (CAMT) 1-8, The Infantry Brigade Group in Battle, Part 1, Tactics; CAMT 2-2, Drill, All Arms; CAMT 4-3-3, Artillery Training, Duties at RHQ and the Guns; and last, but not least, CAMT 7-45, Infantry Section Leading and Platoon Tactics. And then, there were the annual comments of the examining board that marked the Lieutenant to Captain and Captain to Major promotion exams. The board, I fear, lacked both a sense of humour and the human touch. But then, so did most of the upper echelons of the army in those days.

But the good part was that most of those little, thin, cheap, shirt pocket sized, unilingual pamphlets were both terse and chock-a-block full of useful, accurate information. Many of us used to rip them apart - they were "drop accountable," written off in issue - and keep just the bits (tables of data, mostly) that we had't memorized or, as in the case of orders for a demolition guard commander, were so important that simple memorization wasn't sufficient - and stapled them back together into a crap-house reader which could be consulted when confronted with such vexing questions as how many steel pickets per 100 yards of fencing.

Edit: I made a typo in "chock" which resulted in just four letters and a word that the filter made into ****  :-[

Arriving in an "operational theatre" in a Boeing 707 while wearing number 3s ( jacket and tie),
Leaving my Russian fur hat in the AMU in Ottawa, while my great coat was last seen in the AMU in Lahr
Travelling 100 miles across the desert to Ismaiia on a nasty bus that make the airfield buses in KAF look like luxury coaches.
Reporting to Latif's Victory Shop to have your Indian Bush Dress tailored (badges, shirt sleeves shortened, zipper and creases sewn into the trouser)
Getting measured up for hand made desert boots that were delivered in 48 hours!
Lining up for Piastre Pay
Watching American Graffiti in the open air movie theatre with the Polish Log Bn soldiers - a whole lot better that their choice  - The Great Patriotic War!
Hitching a ride on the honey wagon pulled by a donkey named Zubrick.  ;D

Watching John Wayne in Green Beret in the open air movie theatre with incoming mortars every 15-20 minutes or so....you could tell from the thump and whistle where they were going to land....the docks mostly....so nobody moved, we were having too much fun watching John Wayne  ;D

M9C,

I can't help but notice that your avatar looks less like Bellerophon riding Pegasus than a flying pig (?)

E.R. Campbell said:
But the good part was that most of those little, thin, cheap, shirt pocket sized, unilingual pamphlets were both terse and chock-a-block full of useful, accurate information. Many of us used to rip them apart - they were "drop accountable," written off in issue - and keep just the bits (tables of data, mostly) that we had't memorized or, as in the case of orders for a demolition guard commander, were so important that simple memorization wasn't sufficient - and stapled them back together into a crap-house reader which could be consulted when confronted with such vexing questions as how many steel pickets per 100 yards of fencing.

Edit: I made a typo in "chock" which resulted in just four letters and a word that the filter made into ****  :-[

I don't feel bad after seeing this, extracted from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/books/the-typo-that-pulped-7000-books/article1538567/
The typo that pulped 7,000 books
Australian publisher destroys cookbook for recipe that called for ‘freshly ground black people

An Australian publisher is reprinting 7,000 cookbooks over a recipe for pasta with “salt and freshly ground black people.”

Penguin Group Australia's head of publishing, Bob Sessions, acknowledged the proofreader for the Pasta Bible should have picked up the error, but called it nothing more than a “silly mistake” ...

Makes "chock" look a wee bit better.

Back