• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Your Favorite piece of Issue Gear

humm thats odd.  We just got our new blanket.  No turn in.  Same with the new glasses and SOG, no turn in required.

The wpn tech's took ours away because there wasn't really any use for them.  If it is a struggle to break open your weapon with the widget in there then you don't need it.

:warstory: I like it all except the gortex boot to slippery in cold condition but there comming out with a new sole for them that should be intresting. I like the new belaclave the green one it so nice and warm. The ICE grear is great it keep you super warm and it got good ventilation. The balistick glass got realy good sun protection just tend to fog up a bit in the winter. The LCV fit realy good. Just got some loading problem that what i read in the forum. I like it all i find it way better then what we used to have. Go canada  :cdn:

the reason for the widget as you call it , is to improve your shooting on the range , its there to prevent the wiggling(since we are in "w" words) in your weapon , so if the weapons tech took them away, get it back! and with alittle muscle and it won't be hard to open!

poko said:
:warstory: I like it all except the gortex boot to slippery in cold condition but there comming out with a new sole for them that should be intresting. I like the new belaclave the green one it so nice and warm. The ICE grear is great it keep you super warm and it got good ventilation. The balistick glass got realy good sun protection just tend to fog up a bit in the winter. The LCV fit realy good. Just got some loading problem that what i read in the forum. I like it all i find it way better then what we used to have. Go canada :cdn:
I agree with poko about the gortex boots they do make it very slippery to walk in cold conditions. I just have a few questions, like about the ICE gear...what is it? and the Ballistic glasses, are they reg. force issue only? 

ICE = Integrated Clothing Ensemble (or something like that)

Think all your goretex stuff...jacket, parka, overalls, fleece, windpants, gloves (large black one's w/ the green gauntlet) but in CADPAT instead of olive drab.

As far as I know, the ballistic glasses are reg force issue (or Roto).  Apparently cdr of 2CMBG said that everyone will wear THESE glasses in the field (no Oakleys, etc) unless you wear glasses (as the prescription lenses for the issued ones aren't ready).

Maybe a reg force person could correct/elaborate on this.

ICE = Integrated clothing ensemble = th newest stuff in CADPAT, as stated
IECS = Improved environmental clothing System = the "new" stuff in OD

Stu

I love the fleece top, that thing is awesome. Keeps you warm but isn't too bulky. My favorite for field exercises.

I'm going to say my Goretex socks. Every time I went to the field in SQ, weather it was target designation, GRITS, the ranges, it rained. Everyone else had wet feet except my buddy and I. Boots dried, didn't have to change socks until the next day it was great. Luckily it didn't rain on our field ex except once for 5 minutes lol.

The main reason I love em.....Active Edge '04. If anyone was there and remembers the first 2-3 days, argh. Rain day and night, and you couldn't dry out your clothes in the improvised shelters. It was great cause I just went through the pairs of socks I packed, and didn't have to change them 10 times in one day. I now have the goretex boots but damn I love those socks.

Bivy bag - the original one that are REAL GOR-TEX - not the new Mustang safety "reasonable" handdrawn faximile of gortex.

The only issue piece of kit I think I actually use...  ;D

My favorite piece of kit would be my desert boots or my jungle boots. Good foot wear is key for any soldier.

My ear plugs. I can smile and nod approvingly while listening to our young, newbie officers. They think I'm paying attention, and I don't have to listen ;D

recceguy said:
My ear plugs. I can smile and nod approvingly while listening to our young, newbie officers. They think I'm paying attention, and I don't have to listen ;D

Hey! ......You used to do that to me!      :eek:

I always thought you were deaf.    ;D

GW

Oooh... Tough call.

Bivy bag would have to be the best, I think. Nothing beats being able to sleep anywhere and stay dry. After that, the Gortex jacket and windpants- great kit for winter exs. I'll be using it some more this weekend. The Gortex socks likewise. I love the Gortex boots for how damned comfy they are, though I wish they were approved wear for slightly colder temperatures. I've worn them outside in fairly cold (-20?) while off duty with no problem, but I guess it isn't kosher for field use. Shame- I prefer them over the Muklucks, and hate ahving to carry both in case the temperature goes below -10. Mukklucks are bulky kit.

I don't mind the goretex boots for "fieldwork" when I'm in the CP, but when I'm actually walking for any distance (i.e. when I'm attached to an Infantry Pl), I find the absolute lack of ankle support horrible..

As for favorite piece of kit? oohh.. hard to say. I'd have to say the thermal underwear.. They keep me nice and warm.

Sapper24 said:
I would have to say my most favorite peice of equipment is my ranger blanket...its doesn't seem like it will keep you warm because it is so thin, but it sure does keep you warm....

I have found the olive drab ones are better for blankets, but the woodland ones are better for sleeping bags...but sleeping is for civilians

Back