• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

Not to worry; flying clothing will soon be using RCAF DEU slip-ons (SAR Techs have been doing this for a while…). The CADPAT ranks for RCAF are also moving to a form of hi-vis as well. 🙂

I’m thinking of the days we were doing traces up and down the Lawfield Corridor in G-town. We had to be crammed up with the ol cam stick. Branches and cam nets and such to cam the veh.

But we also had to have brass cap badges on our berets, and headlights on all vehs. Lol

Following the Army lead: spend millions to develop camouflage, then spend more to make things visible on it.
Well to be fair, the RCAF just took the CADPAT part and have tried to bright-ify it since then.

Exhibit 1: Blue ranks and t-shirts
Exhibit 2: Reflective strips on the raincoats
Exhibit 3: Full-colour badges on everything

At least for the OOW so that everyone knows who that person is.
This was in the context of @Halifax Tar 's suggestions, which I quite liked. More specifically, about OOW in DEU tunic. I understand that used to be the case (from WW2 footage). I don't mind it, as the OOW would not himself physically respond to emergencies, except those of a kinetic nature, which supposedly would only occur when you're already sailing in some heightened state of preparedness - which includes appropriate uniform, which is already the usual practice.

Many COs relax standards when circumstances allow, allowing crew to dress down to t-shirts, or even replace boots with sneakers.
Traditions like that have a place on the parade square, and in other ceremonies/routines, but don't add value in the daily routine.

It doesn't need to be big parades, simple things are like reporting to the OOW, crossing the brow of a ship, etc., are all mini routine ceremonial events. They are a link back to the past and tradition far more than a groggy high five in a poorly lit parking lot at 0530 is.

Edit: The Avr getting jacked up at at sunrise because they couldn't see the half hidden subdued bars on a Capt.'s flight suit slip-ons isn't thinking about the traditional link back to the days of buying commissions from the crown.
Anyone who moves the uniform overton window towards less hats gets my vote. I still think salutes have their place though, and I think linking salutes to hats is a ridiculous rule that already results in awkward situations. (someone supposed to salute for a report or receiving an award off-parade happens to not have their hat on, grimaces and performs this rushed routine putting it on wrong or borrowing a buddy's)

Salutes, as a tradition, are already two degrees of separation from their origin (from lifting the visor, to lifting the hat, to not even touching the hat), so let's just move it down another degree and forget about the already-uninvolved hat.
I think there's a great song, from the west coast, that would serve as a tribute to (a) the strong connection to the UK of the RCN, and (b) the longstanding reputation of sailors ashore.

That song? Home for a Rest.
I wouldn't mind it. Lyrics don't seem problematic at all, unless I've severely misunderstood the meaning of ''Past old crooked dykes''.

As a Franco, Heart of Oak never sat very well. Not least because the French version sounds horrible. Heck, I've usually been more energetic singing along with the Americans.

Simply canadianizing HoA as someone else suggested may also be an appropriate CoA.

Trending back towards the topic of the thread;
Are we to understand then that CANSOFCOM's differentiation in dress was more of a pilot project? Will the remainder of the Army look like CANSOFCOM in the future? Akin to how it is supposed to transition to multicam? If not, how different will the two uniforms be?

Trending back towards the topic of the thread;
Are we to understand then that CANSOFCOM's differentiation in dress was more of a pilot project? Will the remainder of the Army look like CANSOFCOM in the future? Akin to how it is supposed to transition to multicam? If not, how different will the two uniforms be?
The army is not transitioning to Multicam, it will be adopting CADPAT Multi-Terrain (MT). The pattern is different from Multicam Canada Adopts CADPAT-MT Camouflage - Soldier Systems Daily

The Royal Australian Navy (Quick March). It has a beat but very forgettable and unoriginal. It wouldn’t surprise me if the politicos here end up having the RCN march to a Quick Rap rather than a Quick March in keeping with The Times and to promote greater diversity.
Ask and ye shall receive.

Really glad in the time of massive shortfalls in personnel, equipment falling apart, and major morale shortages that the GOFOs are focusing on what is really important.

Reactions: MJP
Really glad in the time of massive shortfalls in personnel, equipment falling apart, and major morale shortages that the GOFOs are focusing on what is really important.
I don't think the GOFOs are seeing this at all. Dress/deportment is almost always a CWO/CPO1 thing.

This, specifically, is a CA thing. So, I would guess it's, at highest, the CA CWO.

Have you met us? If it means creating more senior positions, HQs or rearranging the dress deck chairs in the Titanic it is truly CAF worthy.

Kinda only sorta kidding. As some have pointed out there are some rational aspects to the changes. I just can't believe it isn't another CA cabal pushing their agenda using disingenuous reasoning like they did for pips & crowns. Fool me/us once kinda thing

I don't think the GOFOs are seeing this at all. Dress/deportment is almost always a CWO/CPO1 thing.

This, specifically, is a CA thing. So, I would guess it's, at highest, the CA CWO.
Sure, but the various elements take their own turn at this stupidity, and the elemental CWO does report to the elemental Commander. If this is the best use of their time sounds like they need clearer direction (or this is the result of clear direction).

For a group of big giant heads that are overly concerned about 'optics' they are amazingly tone deaf with their priority initiatives.

'If you don't like it get out'.

'We are hiring consultants to look into our retention issue and suggest strategies'.

'Hey, purple hair! Throwback Thursday Uniforms!'

@MJP Sadly agreeing...

Smoke and mirrors, and if that fails, bread and circuses.

Dress is something entirely within the CAF's power to address, unlike a lot of the other issues the CAF is facing. It's concurrent activity, while those who are working on the other issues keep working on them.

Complaining about the CAF fixing uniforms is like the Jr pers complaining that ship needs to be stored, so the Snr pers shouldn't waste time landing gash.

Dress is something entirely within the CAF's power to address, unlike a lot of the other issues the CAF is facing. It's concurrent activity, while those who are working on the other issues keep working on them.

Complaining about the CAF fixing uniforms is like the Jr pers complaining that ship needs to be stored, so the Snr pers shouldn't waste time landing gash.
This.

It's a 4 million dollar minor project that needed to be addressed due to a supply shortage. It takes more money and Staff work to plan the Army Run every year, but that seems to be a kosher way to devote time and money...

There are a million stupid things to rally against within the CAF. Uniform changes aren't a thing that gets my goat.

Back